Rabbit Mage with Staff - DSM8061

Jasonator

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great work!

I've got quite a collection of bunny figs (all started with a doom bunny I just had to have...) including this guy that I need to get to painting, and your wonderful job on him makes me want to work some bunnies into the paint queue.

Thanks Jasper_the_2nd;

He's a lot of fun to do.  The fur is quite the challenge!  Dry brushing the middle tone, and using a really fine tip brush for the "tufts"...

Rotate this one around for a bit, just to figure out the shadows.  The shape of the bunny, Ears, and that staff throw a few wrinkles

at you.  The other surprise is trying to paint the eye closest to the staff.. Hard to get in there with a straight shot !

Loved working on the whole thing. 

Oh, I also used a clipper to remove the base it was cast with, pinned it, then I could base on the plinth.

The eye?

You didn't paint that before you attached the hand and staff?

Nope, I put him together, took off sprue bits, filed lines off, and then washed him with hot soapy water,

rinsed, and let dry.  I removed the broccoli basing he came with, drilled and pinned him.

Then primed with a brush on sealer from Vallejo.  Then used a brown liner.  Once those were done I began painting.

(I probably should have done the eyes before I glued the staff in, but I managed !)

Edited by Jasonator
  • Like 1

Very nice, the face, ears, and all the fur knock my socks off!!!

Thank you for the beautiful compliment !

Read the tutorials on painting, there are some great ones in that forum.

You are in the right place to learn about miniatures.  I started here with NO idea how to even begin painting

a miniature.  Welcome to the forum.

I really like how your "Merlin" rabbit turned out, although the snow makes me think of spring more than deep winter. Not a bad thing, and I'm super-picky about snow after spending most of my childhood looking at it. :;):

What alchemy did you us to make the shimmer on that cloak? I love sparkly things, and it works well on that cape. ^_^

• Like 2

I really like how your "Merlin" rabbit turned out, although the snow makes me think of spring more than deep winter. Not a bad thing, and I'm super-picky about snow after spending most of my childhood looking at it. :;):

What alchemy did you us to make the shimmer on that cloak? I love sparkly things, and it works well on that cape. ^_^

Thank You LittleBluberry;

My trick for the shiny was to add a drop of Vallejo Blue Gunmetal to a blue paint and apply.  Add a little linen white to use for highlights !

• Like 1