knarthex

Rosemary & Co Brushes Questions

I got my R&Co brushes today and immediately had to try them out. I was not impressed.

I first washed them to get rid of the gum and then rinsed them and started painting with the #3. The first thing I noticed was how short the handles are! Not a bad thing, to be sure, but a surprise.

After only 10 minutes or so I noticed one of the hairs coming out in the middle of the tip. No big deal, all natural hair brushes shed, so I carefully removed it. A few minutes later, another. I tried to work around it, but it began to hook, so that one had to go too. After another 10 minutes another was sticking out from the rest.

So I thought, eh, one bad brush, it happens. So I moved on to the #0. Same thing! I hate removing hairs from the smaller brushes because it doesn't take very many before it really starts to affect the quality of the brush. After fighting with it for half an hour, I gave up.

That was what trying Raphael and to a lesser extent Da Vinci was for me.

They tened to split or not hold their shape and the tip of one Raphael sort of instantly dried while I was using it.

My W&N brushes are nice but don't hold their shape as well as the Rosemary & Co. brushes I have so I can't justify the price to get more of them.

When I got my Rosemary brushes I split a order with the best painter I know locally who wanted to try some.

He liked them and thought they were not quite as good as the old W&N he used to use years ago when he could afford them.

He also likes that they had sable riggers which he had been looking for under a different name because he uses them for freehand.

Edited by arclance
  • Like 1

That was what trying Raphael and to lesser extent Da Vinci was for me.

They tened to split or not hold their shape and the tip of one Raphael sort of instantly dried while I was using it.

My W&N brushes are nice but don't hold their shape as well at the Rosemary & Co. brushes I have so I can't justify the price to get more of them.

When I got my Rosemary brushes I split a order with the best painter I know locally who wanted to try some.

He liked them and though they were not quite as good as the old W&N he used to use years ago when he could afford them.

He also likes that they had sable riggers which he had been looking for under a different name because he uses them for freehand.

Argh this is what my Raphael, brand new never used 8404 size 2, did on me! I was using it with water only for 2-brush wet blending and I instantly had hairs splaying out in all different directions! :angry:

So for my W&N S7s have been the best I've used. I'd like to try the Ro&Co for the shorter handles, but I cannot yet justify buying new brushes (though I need some good filberts for using my soft pastels....)

• Like 1

It's funny how everyone has different issues with brushes

I've been using Raphael's for years and never had a problem.

Had a few stray hairs on my R&C but handled them with spit lol and now they don't stick out

• Like 5

Had a few stray hairs on my R&C but handled them with spit lol and now they don't stick out

It really is, it shows that not all brushes (even within the same companies) are created equal!

• Like 3

Ok so they are here. And I can tell since I opened a brand new w&n size 2 these have much less hair. Probably reflected in the price. And I think my size 2 w&n is larger than rosemary size 4.

It really is, it shows that not all brushes (even within the same companies) are created equal!

Another take on it would be that no two Kolinsky sables grow their butt hairs the same way.

• Like 4

Someone better send those miserable weasels some Master's Brush Soap and directions in Russian. ..

• Like 5

I also decided to get on the bandwagon and order some brushes during the Brexit sales event.  I refilled some of my favorites (0, 1, 2 in Series 33), got some spotters to see if I like them, got some regular red sables and got some of the Master's Choice that were recommended upthread.

• Like 1

Got mine a few days ago. Overall, i am pleased. I really like the size 0- its a suize i didnt have access to previously and i really like it. Good point, control, flow. The size 1 is also great, but im having issues with stray hairs (see above comments on no two brushes being alike). I liken the size 1 to my W&N size 1 but i slightly prefer the W&N.

• Like 2

Has anyone who bought Rosemary & Co brushes had trouble with their shipment being held by U.S. Customs?  I'm currently waiting on mine to be released, and I'm trying to guess how long that is going to take.

Edited by hdclearman

Has anyone who bought Rosemary & Co brushes had trouble with their shipment being held by U.S. Customs?  I'm currently waiting on mine to be released, and I'm trying to guess how long that is going to take.

Only had the one order so far and it went through processing pretty quick within a day or two.

Sometimes Customs will randomly select packages to inspect more carefully and that can take a week or even up to three depending on their backlog.

I've usually seen them go through customs within a week, however the tracking system never shows them clearing customs. Tracking says they are in customs and a week later they arrive at my door.

Customs should take about A day. I've ordered a product from Sweden which is required to be inspected and it takes a day usually.