knarthex

Rosemary & Co Brushes Questions

My brushes took a stop in the canary islands 10 days ago and vanished. Fingers crossed. ordered 19th currently 12 days later and after their spanish vacation they are MIA.

So we've talked about their Kolinsky brushes.  What about anything they make of lesser grade for other tasks) like dry brushing, etc)?

And other brush styles like flats and filberts?

Once you exclude Kolinsky sable brushes, I'd assume any other brush would be competitive to the ones we already have around here.

But I don't want to use something that expensive for something like dry brushing!  That kills the brush fast.  So why my question on what other types they sell people have used if I'm putting an order in.

Oh, edited as I just saw the "exclude"!  

I found some "drybrush" brushes from micromark that I really like.

My brushes took a stop in the canary islands 10 days ago and vanished. Fingers crossed. ordered 19th currently 12 days later and after their spanish vacation they are MIA.

Which site are you using to track the package?

When a package is handed over to a new service they don't always send tracking updates back to the previous service, so the tracking site of the first servie just 'stops'.

• Like 2

I used the R&C 33 size 2 last night and it was an ok brush, nothing wrong with it just isnt gonna replace my Raphs.

I wouldn't order more from them but I find brushes are very much personal taste and when you find a brush you really love you tend to stick with it.

• Like 2

Just remember to wash before first use as they use a "gum" to keep them at a point and make sure that they arrive in good condition when they ship to their customers.

Mine came in today. I meant to ask you, when you say wash them, are you meaning like I would after a paint session with my masters soap, or something more?

Just remember to wash before first use as they use a "gum" to keep them at a point and make sure that they arrive in good condition when they ship to their customers.

Mine came in today. I meant to ask you, when you say wash them, are you meaning like I would after a paint session with my masters soap, or something more?

Yep, using some masters soap to get the gunk out of it before using.

• Like 1

I used the R&C 33 size 2 last night and it was an ok brush, nothing wrong with it just isnt gonna replace my Raphs.

I wouldn't order more from them but I find brushes are very much personal taste and when you find a brush you really love you tend to stick with it.

Yup. Very much personal taste. I like the R&C brushes just as much as my Raph 8404s but I LOVE my Raph 8408s. For me, Raphs were my first nice brushes. I learned and grew with them as a mini painter. They are the brushes I always reach for. Maybe I'm just rough on brushes but the 8408s have held their shape for much longer than any of my R&C or 8404s.  

Congrats! I think you'll like them, they are quality brushes. I like their squirrel hair brushes for washes. So nice and soft.
  • Like 3

I still need to try Raphs and Davincis.

I have gotten a Raph and a DaVinci, both I didn't like as much as my W&N S7. I'm finding the R&Co to be comparable to the Raph that I have which is an 8404. The last few W&N brushes I've gotten haven't been up to the higher quality that I was used to with them and splitting very quickly/easily, so I'd push my current R&Co above my most recent W&N brushes. 

• Like 4

I tried painting with a size 2 synthetic last night. It felt like I was trying to paint with a wire brush. :zombie:

I quickly switched to my old reliable size 0 S7. Even for basecoats. Sooo much better.

• Like 6

I've been using that Mongoose filbert that I got from R&CO and am REALLY liking it for doing glazes on my barbarian bust. 

• Like 3

I've been using synthetics for the stone parts on my tabletop world stuff. Way to rough for my good ones. Boy does it feel awesome to pick the nice ones back up again for the detail work. They hold more paint and it just flows right off. So nice.

• Like 2

I've been using that Mongoose filbert that I got from R&CO and am REALLY liking it for doing glazes on my barbarian bust.

We used a lot of filberts in oil painting and I bought and ended up using a few rounds for most of the detail work. I think people were taking notes, hah. But it was just too weird trying to detail with the edge of a filbert when I knew a round would give me crisp lines, easily.
  • Like 4

We used a lot of filberts in oil painting and I bought and ended up using a few rounds for most of the detail work. I think people were taking notes, hah. But it was just too weird trying to detail with the edge of a filbert when I knew a round would give me crisp lines, easily.

It's nice for the size of the bust and the glazing I'm doing on all that skin, I got a size 2 filbert. For a normal 28-32mm figure I wouldn't be using it for that kind of work.

• Like 1