knarthex

Rosemary & Co Brushes Questions

Size 2 filberts are what people were using for details (albeit on a more or less life-sized portrait). The heck with that!

• Like 3

I've mostly used hobby brushes so far. I've tried the Army Painter and Reaper sables but they both split or frayed almost as soon as I touched them to a mini. With the R&Co brushes as cheap as they are I'm happy to give them a try. It will be tonight or tomorrow before I get a chance to give them a workout.

• Like 2

I've mostly used hobby brushes so far. I've tried the Army Painter and Reaper sables but they both split or frayed almost as soon as I touched them to a mini. With the R&Co brushes as cheap as they are I'm happy to give them a try. It will be tonight or tomorrow before I get a chance to give them a workout.

I once received a Reaper Kolinsky sable 5/0 that did not hold a good point.  I asked Reaper for a replacement and they were happy to send me one.  I've got another Reaper Kolinsky #1 that holds a good point and has been a reliable brush.  Plus more Reapers still in the package that look good, but I haven't had a need to test yet.  I have no doubt if one of them turns out to be a dud, Reaper will do the right thing.

• Like 5

For the price point and the quality I would totally suggest anyone who hadn't broken into good brushes checking out the R&C.

I'm just very used to one brand and have been using them for ages. I'm still gonna test out the R&C on a few more minis since I bought them lol.

Plus I've gone back to basics and have been painting tabletop level trying to work on getting smoother base coats faster.

• Like 6

I once received a Reaper Kolinsky sable 5/0 that did not hold a good point.  I asked Reaper for a replacement and they were happy to send me one.  I've got another Reaper Kolinsky #1 that holds a good point and has been a reliable brush.  Plus more Reapers still in the package that look good, but I haven't had a need to test yet.  I have no doubt if one of them turns out to be a dud, Reaper will do the right thing.

I've found Reaper to have the best customer service of any company (not just mini related) I've ever dealt with. It never occurred to me to ask them about exchanging the brushes. I'll have to see if I still have them.

• Like 3

I use a lot of Reaper brushes, I use the cheaper ones now for basecoating mostly. They don't last as long as my good brushes, overall, but they're excellent for beginners and as mentioned, basecoating. For layering I always use the better brushes, now.

I have to say I love my 20/0 (Reaper) for eyes etc - works really really well.

I'm sad to say my R&C #2 is starting to wear out already. Of course I've painted something like 30(?) miniatures with this first one.

Edited by Guildenstern
  • Like 3

I'm just very used to one brand and have been using them for ages. I'm still gonna test out the R&C on a few more minis since I bought them lol.

Try them out as straight-up detail or freehand brushes, use your Raphs for your heavy lifting. That's how I got into them, was painting with my W&N and switched to the R&C for some freehand and a couple hours later realized I didn't switch back :)
  • Like 7

Try them out as straight-up detail or freehand brushes, use your Raphs for your heavy lifting. That's how I got into them, was painting with my W&N and switched to the R&C for some freehand and a couple hours later realized I didn't switch back :)

Yeah since I'm just playing with tabletop quality I was thinking I should start trying some freehand since it intimidates me so much...

• Like 4

Still enjoying my R&Co brushes here. I've been using for the last week or so. It does tend to split if the brush is too dry so I gotta keep an eye on making sure it stays damp. Living in such an arid environment does take some getting used to for painting and learning how paint and brushes work.

• Like 2

Yeah since I'm just playing with tabletop quality I was thinking I should start trying some freehand since it intimidates me so much...

A thousand times yes! Tabletop is the land of 'hey, let's try this because who cares?'

Maybe that's why I've been hanging out in tabletopia for a while now, hah!

• Like 11

Nice suggestion on that for details.  Been using them mine and they worked really nicely for the eyes and small area highlights on my current project.

• Like 4