knarthex

Rosemary & Co Brushes Questions

You use what you use. I have tried W&N brushes twice. The first time the point split on me and wouldn't reform. The second time the brush developed stray bristles throughout its lifetime. If I am spending that kind of money for a brush, I expect better performance and quality control.

Now top it off with the fact that I like the snap and flow from mongoose better than Sable to the lower cost and the Rosemary brushes become a very quick favorite ::): but if you use a brush and like the feel than that is the brush you should be using

I've had better luck with my W&N brushes (Series 7 Mini type).  One of the three I bought had an extra long hair.  Other than that, they are all well-behaved little brushes.  They were some of my first brushes, and I don't use two of them much anymore because they are on the small side.  One is large enough (#1) to be more useful.  They all work great, but I later found out I prefer longer hairs most of the time.

I can't decipher what you wrote (emphasized in bold above).  Are you saying mongoose are lower cost than Kolinsky sable?  Not really important to me, but I was wondering what you intended to say.

The snap is the way the brush springs back after you push on it. It's sort of the stiffness of the bristles. Flow is the way the paint transfers from the belly or wide spot in the brush to the tip. I tend to use a thicker paint then a lot of people and for me the heavier paint seems to get stuck in the brush, making me clean the brush more often.

Overall, Rosemary brushes are about 1/3 the cost of a WN mini the same size, about 3 to 7 USD a brush depending on size and material. They offer red sable, Kolanski sable like the WN brushes, but also Mongoose, hog (very stiff), squirrel (very floppy) and a bunch of blends and synthetics as well.

They are also a comfortable brush for my hand and they wear well. They aren't perfect, I've gotten a few poor brush tips but they will replace them and I am more accepting of the 4 dollar highlighting brush than a 15 dollar one.

Hope that helps explain my thoughts

Roo

• Like 2

Just tried out my brushes for a little bit. I had far better control with them than any of my other brushes; it keeps a great point, and I was able to place the paint int the tineiest of nooks. I'm am incredibly satisfied with them. Are there better ones out there? Maybe, but this is exactly everything that I need right now.

• Like 5

I got my R&Co brushes today and immediately had to try them out. I was not impressed.

I first washed them to get rid of the gum and then rinsed them and started painting with the #3. The first thing I noticed was how short the handles are! Not a bad thing, to be sure, but a surprise.

After only 10 minutes or so I noticed one of the hairs coming out in the middle of the tip. No big deal, all natural hair brushes shed, so I carefully removed it. A few minutes later, another. I tried to work around it, but it began to hook, so that one had to go too. After another 10 minutes another was sticking out from the rest.

So I thought, eh, one bad brush, it happens. So I moved on to the #0. Same thing! I hate removing hairs from the smaller brushes because it doesn't take very many before it really starts to affect the quality of the brush. After fighting with it for half an hour, I gave up.

With shipping costs each brush was about $10, and they performed about how I would expect a $10 brush to perform. At half the price of W&N, I will definitely use them for base coating and controlled washes, maybe even some broad highlights. They are not suited for detail work, though.

Maybe I just had some bad luck. I haven't tried the #10/0 I bought for fine scroll work and lettering.

Mine had some stray hairs but spit holds them back into place and I haven't had to remove them so far.

But it's not a problem I've had with my Raphael's

Still not terrible brushes for the price IMO.

• Like 1

A few stray hairs sprung out for me as well, but a bit of water puts them back into place and they've behaved since then. When you're ordering from their website, you also have the option of getting extra long handles. I'm sorry you didn't have a good experience with them, all I can say is that mine has worked very well once I was able to tame it.

Day 22...

Hey, at least they'll be well rested and ready to work after their extended vacation. ..

Am I the only holdout? Still saying no, as my bills must ge paid.

Unless some random benefactor wants to increase the odds of me tackling a 7 Day Challenge, these are staying on my wish list next too....

• Like 1

Was strange, pulled out my W&N Series 7 #1 last night, and within 5 minutes, it fishtailed on me...

Brush has been used less than a dozen times, so it is being trained with Master's soap...

Hasn't happened with any of my Room & Cos yet, and they have been getting used nightly for a month or so...

And I like the short handles...

• Like 1

I don't see a huge difference in handles unless you're using long handled canvas painting brushes?

I choke up and only use the first inch or so of the brush anyway, so I could probably use just the ferrule :p

• Like 4

I choke up and only use the first inch or so p

Out of contact quote for the win!

But yeah I do the same thing, I hold it at the base

• Like 6