Sign in to follow this  
Delryne

First Order Impressions

So, I get my first order; it arrived. Everything was there that I had ordered, but I'm fairly confused and unfortunately disappointed. 

The Vagorg Sorcerer mini I had gotten from the pathfinder section, number 60173, wasn't fully put together. As the head wasn't attached and the hands with his staff weren't attached as well. In fact, they were only attached to one of those connector things that you just cut/pull/tare off. I had to glue those parts on with super glue. Which was the most obnoxious procedure ever, because the hand slots on the piece were so small and were positioned in such a way that if one hand was placed correctly then the other would pop out or shift out of position. It wasn't easy to manage. 

My other mini, the Dorly halfscout or whatever his name is, didn't have the musket attached, it was attached to the base. 

Why not inform customers that the pieces they are purchasing don't come as they do in the pictures. (Not the colored pictures, because I'm sure most reaper customers understand that they come unpainted). 

Like I wouldn't have even purchased these had I known they weren't fully assembled. 

Despite all the work I had to do though, they still look great. Just saying as feedback, you need to have more information about the products people are purchasing. And I personally don't think I can recommend the metal/tin mini's just because of the extra work that has to go into them. That's going to sound lazy. But I'm a lazy man, so. 

Conclusion: The plastic ones are better. The metal ones aren't fully assembled. There's a lack of information about them not being fully assembled. Assembling them is a huge pain in the elf. They still look nice though, so I'd have to give it whopping...

6/10.

EDIT: NEVERMIND I'M RETARDED, IT CLEARLY SAYS "MAY REQUIRE SOME ASSEMBLY"! LOLOLOL LETS BACK TRACK A BIT!

9/10. 

Edited by Delryne
  • Like 9

Dang! I remember the days when metal mini's were the norm, and the closest thing to plastic were these knobby pawns and army men! :lol:

Anyway, hang around on the Dakka forums, and you'll hear plenty of comments how metal's better in holding details than plastic. Myself, I dislike mold lines, and pre-assembled plastic miniatures NEVER have their mold lines removed before assembly, so I'll spend an evening cracking apart plastic mini's when I should be painting.

Welcome to the hobby! :lol:

• Like 2

Welcome Deryne!  I understand that the metal is not your thing, but a lot of us like the metal.  And a lot of us like the Bones.  And a lot of us like them both!  I myself am poly-material.

Also kudos to you for admitting your mistake.  Not many people leaving feedback would do so.  You'll fit right in here.

• Like 5

Welcome to the forums!

I'm not a huge fan of assembling minis either but don't give up on metal minis just yet. Some of them might require assembly but not all do. The same can be said for Bones minis although I do find the bones minis easier to assemble. The more you put together the easier it gets. I think you'll find the nice level of crisp detail you get with a metal mini is worth a little extra effort. :-)

You might find a tutorial on assembly helpful as well. Here's one about the tools you may need http://www.reapermini.com/Thecraft/37

And here's a thread about pinning http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/59782-pinning-for-dummies/

• Like 3

Metal rules!!!

The-Horns-T-Shirts.jpg

Kidding aside, Bones have their place in the industry, just my heart with always be with metal.

• Like 9

Back in my day, we'd have been thrilled with metal. OUR miniatures were carved out of ROCK. With CHISELS.

• Like 13

Back in my day, we'd have been thrilled with metal. OUR miniatures were carved out of ROCK. With CHISELS.

Probably uphill, both ways in -30 degree weather right??

• Like 8

Young whippersnappers...

In my day they were made of lead! You know what that stuff does to a person... lemme tell ya...

Ya get...

LEAD ROT!

Leadrot.jpg

Yessiree GEN-U-INE powdery dusty leadrot killin' all yer minis... an' all we had ta paint with was our older brother's Testors Enamels he used fer his cars!

Still got that Testors nylon brush. Looks brand new. Use it fer glue now.

• Like 11

As a human being, I can sympathize, but I don't understand why anybody thinks apologies or complete empathy is in order.

To me, this sounds like somebody stumbled upon a hobby he did not know existed, and then jumped in with both feet without finding out what actually is the point of it all.

Reaper is a company that makes metal miniatures for wargaming. That traditionally entails all the things the OP is complaining about, going back not only decades, but centuries.

Reaper is also a company that makes some cute plastic, some of it painted, some of it not, and caters to hobbyists who just want to put something together and paint it. Let me repeat that, because it bears repeating: Reaper caters to hobbyists who want to put something together and paint it.

I'm not trying to sound rude, but this is sort of like coming home from a music store and complaining that nobody told you guitars needed stringing, drums need heads, and wouldn't you know it -- you have to learn to play or the damn things don't make any good sounds!

Maybe I am jaded because I am a buyer (Senior Buyer, thank you) for a living. So I actually research crap before I spend money on it. But there you go.

• Like 2

I'd rather credit it to enthusiastic inexperience. Anyone can make a mistake in a brand new interest.

Fortunately this one wasn't catastrophic, and understanding came out of it. That's a pretty good result, in my opinion.

Also, cool minis.

• Like 7

Back when I was first re-hobbifying and trying to avoid minis that weren't one piece, I found myself stumbling into minis that required assembling because they technically were cast as one piece and therefore were not listed as having multiple parts. So I think I see from where the OP is coming. Indeed, I always thought it'd be cool if such minis were listed as such, though it became a moot point, for me, when I stopped giving a stuff and started gluing things together.

• Like 4

In the past reaper used to tell you how many pieces the miniature would come in; before the boneyard was discontinued. Personally I prefer having my miniatures come in multiple parts, which isn't so I can get rid of mold lines, it's because one part miniatures are more flat and less dynamic than a multi-part miniature.

• Like 3

One GOOD thing about some minis coming in multiple parts is that it makes it easier to paint.

Google 'Dark Sword Brave Sir Robin' for a classic example. He's holding a shield that would make it impossible to paint his chest area, the front of his legs and part of the cast base.

• Like 3

One GOOD thing about some minis coming in multiple parts is that it makes it easier to paint.

Google 'Dark Sword Brave Sir Robin' for a classic example. He's holding a shield that would make it impossible to paint his chest area, the front of his legs and part of the cast base.

Second this!!!

Also I agree with Pingo on this.

Welcome to the hobby.

If you're unsure if a miniature is molded in one piece or comes in parts, ask around, most of us here can tell you..

Me, I like all materials, Bones, Plastic, Resin and Metal.( not sure about the ones Chisseled out of Rock though).

They all have their Pro and Cons.

My favorite will always be Metal.

Don't give up on minis you need to assemble though. With a little practice you will get great miniatures, and some are only available in multipart metal or resin ( depending on the company).

I usually glue metal pieces together by applying a little ball of green stuff and then add superglue, this will make a strong bond.

For larger pieces pinning might be in order.

If you really hate assembling..just ask around or look into the product.

There are a lot of great minis that are in one piece too.

Besides this, Reaper has a great customer service, so you could ask them if you're not sure about a mini.

Enjoy the hobby and have fun.

• Like 4

They don't seem as well organised as the Empire, but new helmet designs look quite cool and the introduction of close combat troopers is nice. Kylo is a bit of a loose cannon though, and captain Phasma didn't really...

Wait, what was this thread about again?

• Like 9