So, the story behind this character plays on the stereotype of elves as forest dwelling archers. 

This young gal's elven family decided to move into a town and are making their living as farmers.  However, young Gwenevieve here takes great pride in her elven heritage and sneaks off when she's supposed to doing chores to practice with her grandfather's bow. 

I was going for a simple overalls sort of dress, baggy hand-me-down sleeves from the shirt underneath, and barefoot to convey the peasant status.  I also gave her short hair as she was going for function over fashion (much to the chagrin of her poor mother).

I'll start throwing paint at her sometime soon (when I sit down with my Halfling shield maiden most likely).

I'm a bit disappointed by the quality of the photos, but it's my own fault since I haven't had my wife (the tech support) teach me how to use the digital camera she bought.  I can't get it to focus on anything.

post-13795-0-49955200-1457657644_thumb.jpg

post-13795-0-58426600-1457657657_thumb.jpg

post-13795-0-13533200-1457657670_thumb.jpg

post-13795-0-68892900-1457657678_thumb.jpg

• Like 9
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, Xherman 1964 and all who looked and liked  :=)

I'll eventually post her in show off when I get her painted, but I may post a better shot or two here if I can sweet talk the wife into helping me figure out the mystery that is the digital camera.  All I can ever get it to focus on is the background  :=/

Yeah, I think maybe I needed to tuck the right leg under more.  I had actually sculpted the frame and done just a little of the GS to begin fleshing her out something like 6 months or more ago.  I've gotten better about understanding how to work up an effective armature now. 

Still, I rather like how the sculpt turned out.  She may well find her way into a warband at some point.

Thanks for the feedback  :=)

• Like 1

I think she looks really good, but the pose of the legs looks rather awkward and painful.

It does look wrong, but oddly enough it's pretty close to a real-life crouched/squatted position in archery, it's just that her legs are probably bent too far. I can't find a picture but it looks something like this (bow photoshopped on):

archer%20pose%20crouch%20squat.jpg

Thanks, Cosmic_Mastermind!  Not gonna lie, having that image verify that I was in the right ball park is nicely affirming  :=)  Excellent work on the Photoshop job, by the way.  If you hadn't told me it was added in, I would never have guessed it.

Thanks, Cosmic_Mastermind!  Not gonna lie, having that image verify that I was in the right ball park is nicely affirming  :=)  Excellent work on the Photoshop job, by the way.  If you hadn't told me it was added in, I would never have guessed it.

Someone else Photoshopped it. I can do it, but it takes me ages. :-D

Be careful to get the lengths of the arms and legs right when you build the wire skeleton; your female elf archer has very long arms and legs; it is possible to create a very good sculpt that has deliberate altered proportions - if you look at a Barbie doll, Barbie's legs are much too long, but the overall effect is realistic - but for most miniatures you need "normal" proportions - although of course, on most gaming miniatures the proportions are exaggerated. One thing I'm pleased to see you got right is that she does look obviously feminine; even if her boobs were hidden she would still look female because she's quite slender and her face is smooth and rounded.

Edited by Cosmic_Mastermind

Thanks for the input.  I actually considered snipping her arms to shorten them slightly, but thought it might then make the legs look too long.  In the end, I think she's just a lovely young gal who can easily reach the top shelves, so that's simply added bonus  :=)

Seriously, though, I greatly appreciate the feedback and am glad that the effeminate aspects of her overall shape (not just chest) and facial contour accurately read as feminine.  Thanks, as always, for insightful feedback and encouragement!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By R2ED
      Got another one of these simple townsfolk done.  I find they make a great opening salvo for the weekend before getting rolling.  They are more or less my practice pieces to try a few things before getting going.  Here he is - the farmer and his hoe.

BATTLE REPORT!

Wins:
      *  Keeping the palette very simple:Brown, Orange, Cream, Flesh - worked well.
      *  Washes of Nuln oil on the shirt, pants, hood.  Looks good and helped dull the colors like work clothes.
      *  Used Agrax on the leggings and the shoes and the hoe to give a more dirty apperance.  
      *  I used a mix of buff and white streaks, then washed it with Agrax to give the wood appearance.  Not bad.
      *  Flesh was Rosy Shadow - why I used that color, I have no idea - and I did a fleshwash on it.  Then brought it back up with rosy shadow, then again did it with a little added buff.  

Misses:
      *  I really want to learn how to wood grain.  I can't figure it out or do it well and need some help there.  
      *  I also am not a fan of this guy's skin.  I still don't get how to use the triads really well.  Or which skin tone to use for which kind of character.  It's why I like doing beasts or fantastical creatures because skin isn't really a concern.  Could use direction here if anyone is open.
      *  Didn't want to use metal colors, so I just did a black to white to grey fade on the working end of the hoe.  Meh.
      *  The highlights I went back in on the leggings, hood, and shirt are a bit much.  Almost look washed out.  Not sure what went wrong going back over the same areas with the colors after washing, but oh well.

For basing this guy - open to ideas.  I'm thinking just a simple 1" base and nothing complicated.  I'll do whatever someone suggests first.  

• By aku-chan
      Presenting Lysette, a mage from the Bones USA line by Reaper.

Started on this one back in January, but got stuck on her dress so she spent a while in the Cupboard Of Unfinished Things.
      Unfortunately, my camera doesn't like her sky blue hair and it's really blown the colours out, she looks a tad better in hand.

As always, any comments or criticisms are warmly received.
    • By Zloyduh
      ....and when the last crumbs of hope were lost, from the deeps of the elven forest, came a heroine!

Alright, this happened to be an interesting project. I'm guessing Fiara lost a bunch of details when going from metal to plastic bones.  At some point, I felt like there wasn't much to work with.  I ended up  free-handing some of the details.  Also, blacklining seemed to help quiet a lot.  I originally wanted to use metalics on the sword, but at the last moment decided for NMM.
      As always, all sorts of feedback is welcomed! 🙂

P.S. For the love of God, I could not take a good picture of her! (or a picture that would satisfy my likeness).  So, I'm dumping a few extras in here.

• By Darcstaar
      Since the Eye Beasts are making good progress, getting the next model ready.  A suitable Player Character model.  Turanil, Male Elf Paladin.

The plan is white and red.  I’m hoping the peacock comes across as a Phoenix.
    • By R2ED
      Got another one to submit, but still needs its base.  Mr. Monk here was a pretty fast shot.  I tried to keep colors as simple as possible (which may or may not have been left over colors from my owl bear I did) to just keep the paint moving.

BATTLE REPORT!

Wins:
      *  Used a flat flesh color with the simple Reikland Flesh shade wash.  Combo worked well, but dude looks a little...odd.  Will have to add more warmth next time.
      *  Brown hues and simplicity of the scheme helped.
      *  Really enjoying doing townsfolk because of the limited details I need to get into.  
      *  Hair felt much better this time.  Going with a dark brown, up to a mid brown, then highlight in the ridge of the hairline.  
      *  @Inarah I used your method on rope on his belt.  Worked!

Opporunity:
      *  Playing with flesh tones and how to raise the contrast is very difficult for me.  Without making it look...fake.  I keep trying to find easier ways to do it, but I think it's just gotta invest to get the best results.
      *  Cape volumes didn't really pop.  I was hoping for more depth in the contrast, but it didn't show through and I wasn't willing to push it further after a few failed attempts.  
      *  Painting with bone white or ivory continue to plague me.  Multiple layers needed because of the chalky pigment density.  Anyone got a solve for this?

For a base, I'm thinking of including some kind of cross or something behind him.  We'll see.  I found some pretty nifty little wood engraved sets at Dollar Tree (loving that place more and more these days) that will work perfect.  Speaking of which, I have a demon hunter I haven't based yet, that could use one of those, too. Hm...
  • Who's Online   9 Members, 0 Anonymous, 34 Guests (See full list)