Sign in to follow this  
SGHawkins09

Forest Crossing: DSM 1176, Female Mage/Druid

Alright, first off this is all Ub3r's fault. We were discussing competitions, mainly a show that is local to me held by the Southern California Area Historical Miniature Society (SCAHMS). He was able convince me to go and while I can bring some of my older pieces, I wanted to do a piece specifically for the show. So my mind jumped immediately to the Elmore Female Mage/Druid that I just got in from Dark Sword and doing a forest style base.

So, on to the miniature. I am not sure why, but I locked into painting her skirt a purplish red with a pink top. It took me a while to decide on the cape color but playing with the color wheel on my iPad got me to dark green. The colors in this mock up are a little off but it gives you the general idea. Here is the primed figure and the mock-up, the mock-up was done over the painted example from the web store so ignore the underlying freehand on the skirt. The design on the cape is a test for my freehand idea.

post-13093-0-23204300-1457712277_thumb.jpgpost-13093-0-19909200-1457712226.jpg

And to the base. I wanted to do a forest base to test out some basing material I just got but I wasn't sure exactly what I wanted to do. So I went through Massive Voodoo's tutorials, hoping that something would spark an idea and it did. Their basing with cork tutorial made me think of the ravines/crevices in forests that have a river/creek running between pillars of rock. So I took that idea and ran with it. The first picture is the rough positioning, the second and third are where it stands now with some thin "trees", more cork, and sand added.

post-13093-0-25426800-1457712285_thumb.jpgpost-13093-0-40551200-1457712296_thumb.jpgpost-13093-0-72109200-1457712306_thumb.jpg

There will be a broken wood rope bridge opposite of her and water at the bottom.

Any input would be appreciated.

• Like 22

Love the idea.

One thought I have is when you look at the basing masters on MV and other places, they allow their bases to be more organic and flow over the edges of the wooden plinths they use. So I'd suggest to allow this to grow out more and give it a more expansive feeling.

• Like 2

One thought I have is when you look at the basing masters on MV and other places, they allow their bases to be more organic and flow over the edges of the wooden plinths they use. So I'd suggest to allow this to grow out more and give it a more expansive feeling.

I like doing that too and will have to play around with it. The issue with this one is doing that and keeping it easy to frame it for the resin pour. But I can look at doing some overhangs.

• Like 2

I like doing that too and will have to play around with it. The issue with this one is doing that and keeping it easy to frame it for the resin pour. But I can look at doing some overhangs.

Yeah, off the edges where you have the tree and the other side so that you can more easily frame in your water and not worry about having it spill or make a mess.

You could do some roots and earth out the edge of the tree and make it feel really organic. 

• Like 3

Yeah, off the edges where you have the tree and the other side so that you can more easily frame in your water and not worry about having it spill or make a mess.

You could do some roots and earth out the edge of the tree and make it feel really organic. 

Unfortunately, it is a little open back there and the trees actually are more like vines growing up the side of the rocks coming out of the water. I still might be able to extend the corner behind her though and possible the front right as well where it is to the edge of the base and still have water underneath.

Just had an idea, what do you guys think about a broken cobblestone path leading up to the bridge and then leading away on the other side?

Here is quick, very rough sketch of what I mean:

post-13093-0-16990700-1457717798_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

I like the cobblestone path, but I'd make sure that it was like one of the old roman roads an ancient path that has overgrowth and broken stones, give it some texture and it'll also lead the eye from one side to the other.

• Like 3

That base is going to be epic!

I hope it turns out how I picture it in my mind.

The painting is smooth and easy to look at, and the base looks like it will be amazing so far.

Oh, nothing has been painted yet, just primed. The colored picture is basically photoshopped to test the color scheme.

I really like this so far. I know its going to turn out awesome!

Thanks!

I like the cobblestone path, but I'd make sure that it was like one of the old roman roads an ancient path that has overgrowth and broken stones, give it some texture and it'll also lead the eye from one side to the other.

Exactly what I am thinking.

• Like 3

The painting is smooth and easy to look at, and the base looks like it will be amazing so far.

Oh, nothing has been painted yet, just primed. The colored picture is basically photoshopped to test the color scheme

That explains the smoothness.  Now my expectations are even higher though.

• Like 3

Oh, nothing has been painted yet, just primed. The colored picture is basically photoshopped to test the color scheme

That explains the smoothness.  Now my expectations are even higher though.

I will try my best. ::D:

• Like 2

I'm happy to see that someone else masks the sides of their bases with tape before painting. It's such an easy way to keep it clean, I don't understand why more people don't do it. I cringe a little when I see a nicely finished model, but with paint and scenicking materials spattered over the sides of the base.

It works smaller bases too, if you trim the tape down.

• Like 4

I'm happy to see that someone else masks the sides of their bases with tape before painting. It's such an easy way to keep it clean, I don't understand why more people don't do it. I cringe a little when I see a nicely finished model, but with paint and scenicking materials spattered over the sides of the base.

It works smaller bases too, if you trim the tape down.

Yep, I do the same on my nice plinths. Very easily to just peel the tape off and you are good to go

• Like 3