Sign in to follow this  
SamuraiJack

The Dungeon's Keep, Hard Wood Dice Cases for tabletop gaming

About this project
Introduction:

I am excited to bring forth The Dungeon's Keep, with our newest project of sleek wooden dice cases for your gaming needs. We, being my Dad, Fiancée and I have spent months designing these cases. Despite the trials are errors that have occurred along the way, together we've forged beautiful wooden cases including the exotic woods as you see here. Our dice cases can carry as few as a single set of RPG tabletop dice, clear up to thirty five dice in total! The larger sizes also include a rolling tray build into the lid, for your 'dungeon-ing' or 'pathfinding' convenience.

4d0e1ac43f9e44b205fa95eae7095173_origina
 Why Kickstarter?

So why $8,000? We are currently in need of better tools to make the cases in a timely manner, with minimal waste. The CNC that made the boxes you see on this Kickstarter page had a lot of errors. Such as chipping off the corners and tabs, as well as little divots from bouncing router that took a ton of sanding time to remove. This goal will buy a brand new, commercial grade, CNC Machine. One which will not only be solely used for this project, yet also belong to us: as the one we currently use is being loaned to us. This new CNC will also provide us with the precision needed to make these cases even bigger, and badder, than we ever could before!

Process: 

For starters, I have a local supplier where I can go and hand pick any of the lumber needed for the cases. Next up is getting the rough cut lumber down to size with the planer, after that its onto the CNC table where the rough shape of each box is cut out. Once the CNC is done lots of hand sanding takes place, this smooths the wood to almost perfection and removes any burn marks left by the CNC. All cases get a quick run over on the router table to add a bit of detail to the edges, then depending on the case some will be 'magically' electrified. Finally it's time for magnets to hold the case together, a bit of oiling and polishing then the cases are completed. The oil will help to make the wood water resistant, stabilize and protect the cases, and not to mention it also brings out the beautiful color and grain pattern in each wood.

Wood tiers:

I've broken down the different woods into tiers, or 'classes' referencing to those you might play while gaming. 
All the currently available ones include those seen here:

ae98bebe9573d4ce497884111327c196_origina
Photos:
f96cbbcc0f8327bb55e9b8acc15a8e4f_origina
f3a429f5a0bd994bbd50add58b77a844_origina
  • Like 1

I think these look pretty good and the prices are reasonable but it doesn't seem to be getting much traction.

For now I have it on remind.  they are not a bad price.  I've done a few much cruder boxes for friends and it costs me $20 plus in time and materials for a 7 dice size.  Hope they do well.

There are less than 3 days left, and the project has surpassed the funding goals.  We are around $50 away from $10,000 stretch goal.  Here's what happened after the last update.

Felt lining add on:
1430d266543eb781e326e3a53be24229_originaThe felt is a high quality wool and rayon blend. Note there is not magnets in this photo but the cases will have magnets.

We are offering felt lining in 39 different colors, the felt we are using is a high quality wool and rayon blend. This blend of felt is sturdy and thick, unlike your typical craft store felt which can shed and stretch out of shape. To add felt lining to your case just add $3 for a level 1, $5 for a level 2, and $7 for a level 3 to your total pledge.

86147ed550dc9b1517317ecb91d91cd1_originaThe felt is a high quality wool and rayon blend, not your everyday craft store felt.
Wood tiers:

I've broken down the different woods into tiers, or 'classes' referencing to those you might play while gaming.
All the currently available ones include those seen here:

5ece0c8403cddde15d4fe25fb8713a7a_originaNote the only woods that are not listed here are the spalted tiers
Photos:
f96cbbcc0f8327bb55e9b8acc15a8e4f_origina
f3a429f5a0bd994bbd50add58b77a844_origina
8c4ac19fdf321447015fd34925a04539_origina(dice from any photos and videos are not included)
2ec2aa6cd375cee87369e2198be0113d_originaHoney Locus (Note there is not magnets in this photo but the cases will have magnets.)
Facebook for more photos:

If you would like to see more info and photos check out our Facebook page. link: https://www.facebook.com/The-Dungeons-Keep-Hard-Wood-Dice-Cases-610717579092797/?view_public_for=610717579092797

Special Spalted Red Oak Tier
1751e093091c33342fe06cffe002137a_originaNote there is not magnets in this photo but the cases will have magnets.
Special Spalted Maple Tier
d90fae74e53838337207f7c9311354ec_originaNote there is not magnets in this photo but the cases will have magnets.
Process:  

For starters, I have a local supplier where I can go and hand pick any of the lumber needed for the cases. Next up is getting the rough cut lumber down to size with the planer, after that its onto the CNC table where the rough shape of each box is cut out. Once the CNC is done lots of hand sanding takes place, this smooths the wood to almost perfection and removes any burn marks left by the CNC. All cases get a quick run over on the router table to add a bit of detail to the edges, then depending on the case some will be 'magically' electrified. Finally it's time for magnets to hold the case together, a bit of oiling and polishing then the cases are completed. The oil will help to make the wood water resistant, stabilize and protect the cases, and not to mention it also brings out the beautiful color and grain pattern in each wood.

Arcane Class Cases:

The lightning effect on some cases, is actually made by quite literally electrifying the top of the cases. Each lightning, or 'Arcane' case will be completely unique due to the type of wood and the natural path the current decides to flow. See the video below on the 'shocking' process, watch as we put 2000 plus volts through the surface of wood leaving electrifying patterns that are sure to impress.

Pyrography decorated add on:

My fiance came up with this awesome idea, with it we can extend the options for a more personalized dice case. We are currently offering a only select few simply designs for each Level (Size) of case. If all goes well, we will be looking to add some more designs. 

Pricing for this add on is $15 for a small, $20 for a medium and $25 for large added to your total pledge.

0d6dca43590decbc98e0d385a6d744a7_origina
Stretch Goals:

We are starting off offering our cases in fifteen different woods, with our stretch goals we hope to reach twenty nine woods total! We can't wait to show you how big of an effect even one of the unlock-able add-on options are going to make! Each one will completely take the project to a whole new level. 

e60f304e3e33f5c4561f3c8bdd9d8bec_origina

Tempting enough that may go in for a single case for the metal Pathfinder set I've got coming next month.