Sign in to follow this  
KruleBear

77267: Kallaguk, Troll King

Thanks everyone, I am glad you enjoyed him. The more I went along the more I enjoyed him, until he got to a point where I thought," this is looking pretty cool". Then I was dissapointed it was a Zen of Bones that I had not put as much effort in on surface prep. Oh well, i probably would not have tried some of the things I did if I would have prepped him better.

The blood is very well done! What was your technique/product if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks, I was really happy with it. I show some different stages in my wip (linked in my signature below). I ordered some UHU glue awhile back as that is what all the good European painters were raving about for making drool and blood effects. The fingers on the hand had some serious mold line an flash issues that would have been a challenge to adequately clean up with normal techniques do to the rubbery nature of the Bones material. So I poured out some UHU. First thing I notice was that it was way to thin to achieve any effects with, so I let it sit about 15 minutes until it started thickening up. Using an old synthetic brush I started applying multiple layers around the hand, on the tongue, and at the gum line of the teeth. I payed particular attention to bult up the grooves next to the mold lines. It was pretty evident to me that this stuff would not form strings as I'd hoped. So I cut some badger hair out of the shaving brush I use for mini dusting. Dipped the ends in super glue and attached to the hand and lip where I thought it made sense. Then coated with the thick UHU that was setting out, which was pretty easy to form the globules on the hairs.

Once dry I did an intial color addition usin Tamyia Clear Red. After that was set, i put some Tamyia Clear Red and Clear Smoke on the pallete and partially mixed them to keeo a range of black to red clear paint available. I then went back and forth with these clear mixtures to build up the dark blood red effect on the hand and the club. The mix does thicken up nicely as it sets. If you looks at the splatter on the club head, it gives you an idea how it looks without the UHU...kind of a dried up blood effect.

i'll note that I tried using a product called E6000 to make a drip off the club spear based on a recomendation. It is like a silicone caulk material and did get stringy, so may work ti connect a string of drool from the top of the mouth to the bottom. Where I tried pulling a long string off the bottom of the clubs big spike the tip kept curling up on me, so not a product I would recommend for this effort.

BTW. The drool on the tongue and off the lip where not showing up well, especially in photos so I added some Tamyia Clear Yellow which really helped them pop.

Fantastic blood effects on the mini, really gotta HAND it to you. :lol:

Doh! There is one in every crowd! Thanks for the punny laugh this morning Pezler. This was my first serious attempt at blood effects.
  • Like 3

...I thought he'd be more of an Oregon Ducks fan.

I'm liking the drippy blood on the hands.

i could see that as well!

post-11397-0-27396900-1457878976_thumb.jpeg

Although he kind of has this pose :;):

post-11397-0-18596300-1457879008.png

That is an UBERCOOLWONDERFULLY painted & based Monstrosity. I spied the Big Ugly over on C.M.o.N. AND gave him a boost...some of the voters there are the worst things that ever happened to the craft.  Somehow his Green Bay affiliation makes him more horrifying. Be that as it may, VERY WELL DONE!

• Like 1

That is an UBERCOOLWONDERFULLY painted & based Monstrosity. I spied the Big Ugly over on C.M.o.N. AND gave him a boost...some of the voters there are the worst things that ever happened to the craft.  Somehow his Green Bay affiliation makes him more horrifying. Be that as it may, VERY WELL DONE!

Thanks for the votes and comments Malefactus. The voting definately leaves plenty of room for improvement at cmon. I mostly use the voting forum as a nice way to keep all my finished minis in one spot. I love the wip forum at cmon, there are some really good folks that give honest and useful feed back.