Sign in to follow this  
Pingo

Please Help Me Identify These Old School Figures -- Last One Solved! See Post 17

I could have sworn I already asked about these, but darned if I can find where.

I got given a handful of old school lead figures from a couple of generous sources. Some of them I figured out immediately what they were or lucked into info on the Lost Minis Wiki.

But these ones have me stumped, despite in some cases clear markings. May I ask for some help from the collective wisdom?

I believe most of these to date from no later than 1991 or so.

They have been primed and washed with a thinned brown to bring out detail.

1. Some sort of pretty early orc-goblins, no base markings (subsequently glued to pennies). I found pictures of them in a group image on ebay with information so inaccurate it was laughable.
Identified by K2h2m3 as from the Grenadier set AD&D 5002 "Monsters", Goblin w/ Axe and Goblin w/ Sword, 1980-1982
DSC_0024_zpsmobp1hnu.jpg

DSC_0026_zpsvyceou1r.jpg

2. (Central figure only) A wizard with upraised staff, manufacturer unknown, base markings unclear. He's the figure in the middle (the other four are identifiable as from the old Grenadier boxed set 5001, "Dungeon Explorers").
Identified by Rob Dean as from Heritage Models set 1302, "Evil Wizards and Ring Wraiths", FF2-A, sculptor unknown, circa. 1980?, no later than 1981-1982
DSC_0020-Bedlam_zpsu76yxmvp.jpg

DSC_0021_zpsevkbckjc.jpg

DSC_0395-BOG_zps87jdgsih.jpg

3. A witch, base markings "MP90" or "HP90" and something unclear
Identified by Xherman1964 as Metal Magic C1017c, "Witch with Cat", sculpted by Michael Immig, circa 1992.
DSC_0027BOG_zpsclk9jq1v.jpg

DSC_0028_zpsu5meljz2.jpg

4. Possibly an elf?
Identified by knarthex as Ral Partha 01-319, "Elf Thief 3 Stage" 319b (stage two), sculpted by Tom Meier, circa. 1986.
DSC_0036_zpsvjb2xmr5.jpg

DSC_0037_zpsyg3onzk4.jpg

5. An unusually tall for the time ninja, apparently signed "Ridolfi" on the bottom and with the possible date "90"

Identified by Bob Ridolfi as one of his earliest efforts with an extremely limited distribution, see post 17 below.

DSC_0031_zpspen7gbqi.jpg

DSC_0032_zpse85geqri.jpg

6. A fighter, possibly a paladin with a mace, very clearly marked "Grenadier 1991 A644" -- and I still can't find any information or visual confirmation on him!
Identified by alchemist as from the Grenadier set 1414 "Fighting Men Champions", sculpted by Mark Copplestone, 1991.
DSC_0033_zpszp6dswoa.jpg

DSC_0397-BOG_zpshuqbnp48.jpg

Edited by Pingo
  • Like 2

Your elf is Ral Partha

01-319 Elf Thief 3 stage-319b

Partha-3stage-319b.jpg

Can't help with the others....

George

• Like 4

The first two are Grenadier from the set 5002:Monsters. The second one appears to have markings similar to Heritage Miniatures. The very last one has Grenadier markings.

• Like 3

The ninja figure looks a fair amount like a Leading Edge Games figure (base style and sculpting style), but no guarantees and I can't find it under LEG's listings.

• Like 3

I miss the ral partha D&D line ... supposedly all the molds were destroyed.

That's what I have heard...

We should have a trial for crimes against great minis...

• Like 4

At least one of the giants went on to live at Lance & Laser.- Sandra Garrity's Cloud Giant.

There were some real gems in the line - my favorite was that the barrel furniture and one of the mimics were interchangeable.

The Auld Grump - somehow my Ral Partha Ogre Mage ended up with butterfly wings....

• Like 2

OP updated with ID information, thanks everyone!

Only the "Ridolfi" ninja remains unidentified.

• Like 2

Man, do I miss Grenadier minis. I know some are still available, but I still miss the company...

Damon.

A lot is available through Mirliton. And Evilbay has most others shown up too.

OP updated with ID information, thanks everyone!

Only the "Ridolfi" ninja remains unidentified.

Which reminds me that Mr Ridolfi sculpted part of the Clan War line.

He could be from that.

Anyone got a catalogue from that line??

• Like 1

Its true, Ral Partha lost the licence for their AD&D line and at least the production molds were destroyed. That doesn't mean that the masters aren't still around but they would be unable to produce them anyway.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By 72moonglum
      Hello again!

here are the other two that I just finished, two elven fighters that Ran Partha did a while back.  They had a couple neat ideas, one was to have a male and female version of a race and class, and these two are the miniatures that are for the Male and Female Elven Fighters.  Not sure who the sculptor is on these, should probably find out.  

I did them both with more or less identical color schemes, partly in the thought that it's the same adventurer just in a different male or female version and then also because it made my life easier with one color scheme instead of two.

and here they are together:

Anyhows, hope you enjoy!

Mark
    • By Rigel
      "So...Xiao Lu. You have expressed interest in this particular carp. Your purse is sufficient for the purchase. Nevertheless, I will only sell to a man with the proper appreciation of the fish, a scholar who can truly cherish it as it deserves.
      Tell me, Xiao Lu. What are the Noble Virtues of the carp?" 

"Truly, Master Fang, only the injudicious man would sell such a precious gift to a fool.
      The different colors and patterns of the carp indicate different virtues, some those of the father, some of the mother, some of daughters or sons, or scholars or businessmen or soldiers.

But the virtues common to all carp are:
      Firstly, courageous independence. It swims upstream, heading into the current always. An indomitable will to face what comes. A carp swimming downstream bodes ill; this is known to all.
      Secondly, prosperity. Their scales of gold, silver, platinum, and bronze are all auspicious, reflecting money and attracting luck. 
      Thirdly, fecundity.  Their fertility fills the rivers; does not their very name evoke abundance and plenty?  
      Fourthly, success and transformation through diligence and perseverance. As it is said, 'the carp has leapt through the Dragon's Gate.' With enough work, the carp may surmount even the waterfall that streams down the mountain. And does not the carp that passes the Dragon Gate itself become a dragon? So too will the man who applies himself become accomplished and recognized."

These are two truly magnificent sculpts. The short fellow with the oval base is from an 80's-era Grenadier set of "Vile Villains." (He comes with a Casper Gutman/Sydney Greenstreet Fat Man and a tall trenchcoated fellow with beard and hat, perhaps a Rasputin figure? All very different heights and builds, which I appreciate.) Anyway, he's the star of the show. Those old minis had some fantastic detail work on the faces. And you have to love his long twisty fingernails. 

Here's more of him:

Dr. Fang was another sculpt I had to get when I heard Statuesque was discontinuing its Pulp Alley line. Very much in the Pei Mei / Fu Manchu line. The exact sort of person you think of when you hear the phrase "undying leaders of the cult in China." Definitely an old man whom it would be unwise to challenge. I had a lot of fun with the gradient (hey, Breast Cancer Pink in action!) and the koi on his robes. 

Here's a thorough turnaround:

The rear wall is GreenstuffWorld's "China" roller on foamboard, airbrushed. Heavily inspired by the opulent color gradients from "Curse of the Golden Flower" (a splendid palace tragedy). The aquaria are of course Chessex dice boxes and some stuff I had lying around. The koi pond is a metal lid from a tube of biscuit dough with a lick of paint and some 'Ardcoat. The lantern comes from the Tortoise Merchant and Drayman.

• By Thrym
      Hellborn Troll
      from WizKids' Nolzur's Marvelous Miniatures

I stopped at AC Moore today and picked up one of the FolkArt Pickling Washes I didn't have while my wife was shopping for school play costume materials.  Nearby I found FolkArt Ultra Dyes and picked up two colors to check out; Purple Rain and Pucker Up (a yellow).

I have enjoyed using the Glass Enamels with the long cure time before and thought these might work similarly.   I decided to wash my troll with the Purple Rain to see how it comes out and goes on.

It's fairly thick out of the bottle but I might not have shaken it enough.  It was taking forever to dry so I hit it with some Testors Dullcote to speed the process and reduce the shine.  It's glossy like inks.

Next, I used Reaper Blood Red to give him the Hellborn look I wanted.

Then I pulled out Reaper Violet Shadow to get his hair, teeth and claws darkened.

I then went back over the boney bits with the FolkArt Ultra Dye.  It'll put the glossy touch to the claws and teeth.

I am quite happy with him so far.  

Stay tuned and Enjoy!
    • By Pingo
      This is Reaper's 14048, Fatima, Nefsokar Cleric.

Or rather it will be when you click on the links because she's super NSFW, front and back.

CLICK HERE TO SEE THE PAINTED FIGURE FATIMA, NEFSOKAR CLERIC.

There isn't a WIP thread because I couldn't figure out how to make one that would abide by the board rules. But questions or comments are appreciated.

The images are hosted on Instagram so you can post comments there too if you like.

• By vutpakdi
      Traveling Encounters volume 1
      Compelling 5th Edition Challenges For CR1 to CR5

This small project is to fund a collection of little encounters that can be dropped into an existing adventure for low level adventurers.  I backed his previous project for alternate character backgrounds, and he delivered the PDFs early.

• Who's Online   22 Members, 2 Anonymous, 141 Guests (See full list)