Oakydeer

New to Reaper Forums! Come say hi to a noob!

Welcome to the forums and the hobby, deer! I love your name, it makes me imagine that you have little antlers. I do! :3

I'm a noob at D&D and painting too, the amazing thing about these forums is how all us noobs and vets get to mix around and get fun ideas and learn from each other.

There's a wealth of information here, and the forums are outstanding for their helpfulness and friendliness. ^_^

If you really want to get chatty, check out the Randomness thread. Lots of fun people to meet and talk to there! 

Edit: Your avatar is amazing! Did you do that Dia De Los Muertos makeup yourself?

AAAA YES. I have two little antlers I sculpted that I may or may not use whilst playing dnd. Idk. < v < And yeah, I did it myself! I actually found that painting helps you a TON with makeup thanks to learning how to manipulate shadows and highlights. Its all linked. 83

• Like 9

I hate it when the forum eats my post...

WELCOME!

Mind your manners (or *BONK!* or a modbat may make an appearance), don't spill the coffee (or the barbarian will rage... maybe cry... no one wants to see a crying, raging barbarian), hide your bacon (from the wolves), don't lick your brush (lest you summon Pingo's wrath and a lecture), that smell is goblin (re: Buglips; since you're new you've no need to hide your vintage paints), that's a halo (not the One Ring) which you get once you achive Godlike status and enter the realm of Reapergaard, and...

HAVE FUN!

As suggested, read! Watch videos! Learn! We all have our own way of doing things, but there is a LOT of fantastic information to be gleaned from here.

ub3r will try to get you to empty your wallet on all the shiney. Watch out for that, but also note not to link directly to a website for selling stuff. It's teh Roolz.

Knarthex ub3r, and Thrym are awesome on info for basing. Pingo, too... she does lovely trees.

Talespinner's sculpting posts are things to watch. Mr. Andrew Pieper himself (sculpts for Reaper), and there are several other excellent sculptors in that forum.

Malefactus has the most whimsical, creative, fantastic imagination this side of Tim Burton.

Sirithiel does fantastic dragons and well worth looking at her WIPs for tips and ideas.

Pingo and Corporeal and Marsya and Wren and Citrine also have Show Offs well worth looking at and a few WIPs. Marsya has a Red Hair tutorial that is most excellent (WAY!).

Froggy is the Froggcident king. Conversions of mind boggling creativity.

I think that should give you a good start... :lol:

Oh WOW. I want to be friends with all these people. :'D And I saw that there's a reapercon?! LIKE?! IS THAT FOR REAL?! IS IT AS MAGICAL AS IT SOUNDS?!

• Like 8

Oh WOW. I want to be friends with all these people. :'D And I saw that there's a reapercon?! LIKE?! IS THAT FOR REAL?! IS IT AS MAGICAL AS IT SOUNDS?!

As one of the instigators pushing for Reapercon originally... yes. It IS real. Started in 2004 (and I missed it because my first baby decided that was when he was going to be due). Been going strong since. I do have the rare good idea (though Reaper's running of it has made it the success it is). :lol:

• Like 7

As one of the instigators pushing for Reapercon originally... yes. It IS real. Started in 2004 (and I missed it because my first baby decided that was when he was going to be due). Been going strong since. I do have the rare good idea (though Reaper's running of it has made it the success it is). :lol:

Oh man, I want to go SOOOOOOOOOOOO badly. :'D Does it cost a lot? Has anything scary happened? What are the events like? I'M SO EXCITED.

• Like 5

Welcome to the forums! Don't worry about being a noob. As you've already seen, the people here are incredibly welcoming and friendly and supportive. ::):

As others have said, there's an incredible wealth of information on here. You might find that the flood is too great and you can't keep up (especially when ub3r and Xherman go on posting rampages ::P: ), don't worry about that. ::): There's also a tremendous amount of history, inside jokes, etc on here - feel free to ignore it, try to sort it out, or outright ask about it, whatever amuses you the most. If you do hang out in the off-topic section, don't be too surprised if people seem to have lost their minds. I'm pretty sure we all have. :;):

Oh, and since a lot of people want to know what the rules are but have a hard time finding them (they don't show on the mobile site, and even on the desktop they're hiding in small text at the very bottom right of the page): Here! They're very reasonable rules, and if you do make a mistake people will give you a friendly heads up and it's nothing to stress about.

Umm... that's about it, I guess? Have fun, don't be afraid to make mistakes, and prepare to have a lot of fun. ::P:

As for Reapercon - yes, that's a thing. I haven't been to one yet but I'm going this year because I've made a lot of friends on the forums in the past ... uh... 7 or 8 months now?! HOLY MOLEY. Anyway. I've made a lot of friends among the forumites and I'm super excited to go meet them all IRL. :wub:

• Like 9

Welcome!  It seems you've certainly got the right kind of personality to fit right in here!  There is such an overwhelming wealth of knowledge and support in this community, both accessible by combing through existing posts or simply by asking.  You won't get the "This has already been answered before, go find it yourself" response that's so typical of many other online forums.

I also got into the hobby after being curious about DnD for many years and finally just buying up the books, grabbing some friends and taking the plunge as the DM, so I can totally relate to you there!  I'm currently rushing mostly to build up an arsenal of monsters for my party to face, but would love to put in some serious time for PC models, as we're just using prepaints for now.

A most hearty welcome and I can't wait to see your first efforts!  Be sure to make use of the Show Off and Work In Progress boards, they're excellent arenas for advice, critiques, and support!

Rob

• Like 7

AAAA YES. I have two little antlers I sculpted that I may or may not use whilst playing dnd. Idk. < v < And yeah, I did it myself! I actually found that painting helps you a TON with makeup thanks to learning how to manipulate shadows and highlights. Its all linked. 83

Yes!!! I'm hoping to have my cosplay of Morihalda done by ReaperCon, antlers and all :3 It's in her description for D&D too (Mori's a druid). If my husband's DM'ing, they are a part of her, if it's someone else DM'ing and they are picky, then it's an antler crown with sentimental value only. I need mah antlers!

<snip>

As for Reapercon - yes, that's a thing. I haven't been to one yet but I'm going this year because I've made a lot of friends on the forums in the past ... uh... 7 or 8 months now?! HOLY MOLEY. Anyway. I've made a lot of friends among the forumites and I'm super excited to go meet them all IRL. :wub:

Right? We joined right about the same time. It doesn't even feel like it's been that long! But it also feels like we've always been here. ^_^

I didn't know that! I'm so very glad you vets decided that you liked each other enough to see in person. :lol:

Edited by Morihalda
  • Like 8

Welcome to the Forums! Lotsa fun and useful advice to be had here. Looking forward to what ever you decide to show us in the show off forum.

• Like 3

I didn't know that! I'm so very glad you vets decided that you liked each other enough to see in person. :lol:

The funny thing is, lstormhammer and I still haven't met even though we pushed for RCon to happen. Just kept missing each other! :lol:

• Like 4

Oh man, I want to go SOOOOOOOOOOOO badly. :'D Does it cost a lot? Has anything scary happened? What are the events like? I'M SO EXCITED.

ReaperCon is a heck of a lot of fun. I went my first time last year and it was GREAT!

Cost depends on what you want to do. The tickets aren't too much for the 3 day event, IIRC think they range from $15/day for day passes to $150 for gold passes that include a lot of swag and dinners, but that all may change this year with a new location for the Con. If you want to save money, see about sharing a room with someone(s), sharing car/taxi rentals, getting a cheap flight or driving (depending on where you are from). All in all, for me, I didn't split a room or a car, I had spending cash and took 6 classes, which amounted to about $1000 for the whole trip (staying at the hotel for 4 nights), others splitting things can drop it down much lower. My suggestion is to take 1 class per day so you can soak it all in, hang out with your new friends, practice what you learned, go talk to the artists and sculptors, visit all the vendors, play all sorts of games, and enjoy yourself.

• Like 6

Some day, the wife and I will go to Reapercon. It's just a really long drive for us. Til then we still go to Gencon (which is way more expensive, but closer).

• Like 3

One tip; RUN! Run before they get you completely hooked!

Or you could stay, spend every available Dollar on the Bones III Pledge Manager, and live off of day old bread and pot noodles... just like the rest of us...

(I hope no one takes it that seriously, though... )

Run, or instead of arguing that [insert name of favorite sports team] is better than [another team in the same sport] you'll be arguing about whether A Raphael #0 or a Windsor & Newton #1 is the best paintbrush, whether classic metallic paints is everything, or if Non-Metallic Metal is the true path to enlightenment...

People will stare at you and think you're some sort of druggie because of those tiny bottles you're carrying around, and the strange spots on your hands and face...

So, RUN to the nearest store; buy pizza and beer... lots of beer... and maybe you at least can have a normal life ahead of you.

You read it to the end?

I'm sorry, but now it's too late; you're one of us for the rest of your life... or possibly a bit longer...

• Like 6

you can find out more information about ReaperCon on the official site (reapercon.com), but the show is in October and there's not a lot of hard and fast details available to share at this time. More information will be posted as it becomes available.

Also ReaperCon has it's own subform on the boards, so you can go there and see what people are talking about.