Jump to content

Beowulfthehunter

Unpainted Minis from Wizkids

Recommended Posts

25 minutes ago, CorallineAlgae said:

This will be an unpopular thing to say on this forum, but I think Reaper waited at least two years too long to upgrade the Bones material & color.

Another advantage of WizKids is they have the license to produce the monsters and characters using the actual artwork from the D&D game.  This is important to some buyers, many of whom play D&D.  (Siri mentioned this, too.)

 

That said, I don't think Reaper is in any immediate danger of losing to WizKids.  Reaper has an immense variety to choose from, including well done monsters, including some really big ones.  I think the popularity of the Kickstarters shows that, at least for many people, they consider Reaper value to be quite high.  As long as Reaper continues to improve their product and variety, they'll do well.  

 

I'm guessing, considering the expansion they are going through now, that they are doing better than they were when they focused solely on metal/resin minis.  As much as I like the detail on metal, the cost is often too much for people who want a wide assortment of minis for their games.  

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It'll be interesting to see what happens when the 'official' Vallejo paint line comes out from Gale Force 9 to compete with the 'official' paint line from the Army Painter.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

It's slowly coming off, it's just taking time to do such.  On the plus side, hubby's happier because his white dragon has noticeably more detail.  I'm happy because there's more detail in the Beholder too.  I just wish it wasn't taking so long to pull off o_O

 

Okay, I just pulled the beholder out of the 91% ISO and it's looking about 91% clean. ::o:

With my visor and painting lights I could see some spots with a little primer left, but they were in places I may have missed with the toothbrush. The inside edges of the big eye, under a few scales, in a deepish crevice running along an eye stalk, etc... Otherwise, it's a bare mini. I'm a little afraid to leave my precious beholder in the ISO overnight to handle the last few bits, but I'll do it for science. I wanna see if it messes with the mini or the clear plastic. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, CorallineAlgae said:

 

Okay, I just pulled the beholder out of the 91% ISO and it's looking about 91% clean. ::o:

With my visor and painting lights I could see some spots with a little primer left, but they were in places I may have missed with the toothbrush. The inside edges of the big eye, under a few scales, in a deepish crevice running along an eye stalk, etc... Otherwise, it's a bare mini. I'm a little afraid to leave my precious beholder in the ISO overnight to handle the last few bits, but I'll do it for science. I wanna see if it messes with the mini or the clear plastic. 

I... I think I'll be stopping by a pharmacy during work today to get some 99% isopropyl alcohol....  I need some (and some cotton balls) to clean up my cpu heatsinks anyways. 

 

But if it'll clear and/or shed the primer, yeah, I definitely want to try that. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/11/2019 at 8:30 PM, Serenity said:

That said, I don't think Reaper is in any immediate danger of losing to WizKids.  Reaper has an immense variety to choose from, including well done monsters, including some really big ones.  I think the popularity of the Kickstarters shows that, at least for many people, they consider Reaper value to be quite high.  As long as Reaper continues to improve their product and variety, they'll do well.  

 

 

But I wonder if not going to Kickstarter burnishes  Wizkids reputation in the eyes of retailers.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

I think the biggest thing is simply being identified with D&D.

 

The Auld Grump

This is what I was thinking as well. 

I'm also wondering how many D&D players/GMs paint their minis.* I'm not a player myself, so apologies if this comes off as foolish, but if someone's main goal is to plop something "Officially D&D" on the table without worrying about painting, then I can see the Wizkids lines being perfect for that. Most hobby stores I've been in give them quite a bit of shelf space and there is a great deal of variety to the lines, so for the D&D folks it's pretty much one stop I would imagine.

However, the one store in Austin that had painting night once a month used Bones minis. (and GW paints, but then I've only been in one store where Reaper paints were available and it closed not long after my first visit. It's how I found out they existed.)

As someone who is a painter I find Bones to be much easier to work with both in material and how the minis are posed. But then I'm also not the target demographic either, as I pick up the occasional Wizkids mini to add variation to existing armies/warbands and don't care if they match the art in the books. 

 

*My only exposure to the D&D culture is what I read here in the forum so I have no idea if painting minis is widespread throughout the fan base or if the painters just tend to wind up here. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lord of the Dish Pit said:

I'm also wondering how many D&D players/GMs paint their minis.

 

Some. Of people who actually buy unpainted minis, probably "most*".

 

* Most people, definitely not most minis. And I'm using the >50% definition of "most".

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I paint, but I will use unpainted minis when I need to.

 

It isn't often though, Grumpy has a collection of painted minis that goes back to before I was born.

 

Though a lot of the oldest tend to stay in the box, minis have come a LONG way.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The biggest drawback with Wizkids to me is the very, very limited availability in Europe. It's not even like "darn it, I can't get that Beholder" and more like "I will preorder everything I might possibly want, for it to come in months after the US release, and never be refilled again, besides some very weird niche pieces". Really kills the mood.

But whenever I force my bf to look at all my new shiny blisters that came in the mail he is a lot more impressed with the Wizkids than the Bones. "That thing has no detail" - "It'll look great after painting" - "If you say so". This exchange probably describes the thought process of a more casual potential customer of low-cost miniatures rather well. And one should assume that most buyers of plastic miniatures are more casual than the people on this forum. 

"Official" DnD Miniatures also help for gift givers: my family likes the miniature hobby but are really in over their heads when deciding what I would like or what would be useful. They might still decide wrong with Wizkids, ofc, but "it says DnD on the pack and you like DnD, right?"

 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Nunae said:

The biggest drawback with Wizkids to me is the very, very limited availability in Europe. It's not even like "darn it, I can't get that Beholder" and more like "I will preorder everything I might possibly want, for it to come in months after the US release, and never be refilled again, besides some very weird niche pieces". Really kills the mood.

But whenever I force my bf to look at all my new shiny blisters that came in the mail he is a lot more impressed with the Wizkids than the Bones. "That thing has no detail" - "It'll look great after painting" - "If you say so". This exchange probably describes the thought process of a more casual potential customer of low-cost miniatures rather well. And one should assume that most buyers of plastic miniatures are more casual than the people on this forum. 

"Official" DnD Miniatures also help for gift givers: my family likes the miniature hobby but are really in over their heads when deciding what I would like or what would be useful. They might still decide wrong with Wizkids, ofc, but "it says DnD on the pack and you like DnD, right?"

 

 

That is pretty much how I got all my old official AD&D Grenadier minis. ::):

 

That and the dragons set that showed up in the Sear's Catalog for a few years.

 

I was more of a Ral Partha fan, back then. ::D:

 

The Auld Grump

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most of the minis I saw being used for Pathfinder at Origins were Bones.. although Reaper not being there probably shuffled some sales to Wizkids..

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For my weekly games, most of the player's minis are Wizkids, which are 90% mine. Most of my creature/DM figs are a mix of everything. Lately they've been fighting allot of humanoid types like bandits, scouts & spies. I've been using Wizkids for those. I did use a Warlord graveyard golem & my players were impressed by the sheer weight of thing (it's heavy).

 

I brought Mal'Drakar to a game just to show it off & they thought it was impressive mini but they weren't ooooing & ahhing over it. Again, my store doesn't carry Reaper minis, only Wizkids Unpainted lines. He has his reasons for not selling Reaper products, I won't air them out here. They sell quite nicely too. As noted above, it helps to have the D&D & Pathfinder names on them.

 

My shop did get in the new painted "unpainted" figures. They are actually nice looking figures. Some of the spell effects like the tiefling's spellfire, to me looking like a color changer. For the price thou, I'll stick with a metal Reaper figure even if I have to paint it up. It is a nice option for those that want a painted figure & don't want to do blind box.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Lord of the Dish Pit said:

This is what I was thinking as well. 

I'm also wondering how many D&D players/GMs paint their minis.* I'm not a player myself, so apologies if this comes off as foolish, but if someone's main goal is to plop something "Officially D&D" on the table without worrying about painting, then I can see the Wizkids lines being perfect for that. Most hobby stores I've been in give them quite a bit of shelf space and there is a great deal of variety to the lines, so for the D&D folks it's pretty much one stop I would imagine.

However, the one store in Austin that had painting night once a month used Bones minis. (and GW paints, but then I've only been in one store where Reaper paints were available and it closed not long after my first visit. It's how I found out they existed.)

As someone who is a painter I find Bones to be much easier to work with both in material and how the minis are posed. But then I'm also not the target demographic either, as I pick up the occasional Wizkids mini to add variation to existing armies/warbands and don't care if they match the art in the books. 

 

*My only exposure to the D&D culture is what I read here in the forum so I have no idea if painting minis is widespread throughout the fan base or if the painters just tend to wind up here. 

 

about 50% for the groups I've been in

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×