Beowulfthehunter

Unpainted Minis from Wizkids

1 minute ago, PaganMegan said:

Pretty sure Andrew and Jamie have a video camera, they have videos of Pennsic at least. ::):

Sounds like you are familiar with what Grump's talking about.

Yup. Blind testing is taking a near-final version of the game and giving it to a group that then tries to play it without anything other than what's in the game package. It's the acid test of a design.

Supervised play tests can certainly improve a game before the blind test phase, but having the designer present means that the reactions of the observer can affect the play experience even if the designer doesn't say a word. And it's really easy to decide in the middle of the playtest that an immediate rewrite of something that isn't working is just the thing that's needed. (There's an old story that Richard Berg did exactly that in the middle of playtesting Terrible Swift Sword, the SPI monster game of Gettysburg. He was playing one side in the game and I'm sure it was just a coincidence that the initial ruling and the rewritten ruling both help his side. ^_^)

The intent of the blind test is to replicate the experience of a person opening something he just bought from a store and catch any major problems before shipping out to those poor, benighted heathens who are actually going to pay money. ::D:

• Like 2

Man, just got an e-mail at 9:06AM from Miniature Market saying Beholder is in stock, look at 9:35AM ANDDD....Out of stock:( Damn that was short lived.

• Sad 4

2 hours ago, Ratmaster2000 said:

Man, just got an e-mail at 9:06AM from Miniature Market saying Beholder is in stock, look at 9:35AM ANDDD....Out of stock:( Damn that was short lived.

It's crazy that one is a such short stock item. I mean everything else has plentiful stock.

For once in a couple weeks, I didn't come from one of my game nights with Wizkids minis.....:blink: The shop did have the new D&D prepainted sets, along with the case incentive, the infernal war machine. It's nice but nothing I really need. I put it in the realm of the Falling Star ship. Very nice to have but it's a luxury.

Off to look at ebay singles!!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Bane Of Humanity said:

I know they have been.  I just want tielfings and dragonborn to get equal treatment.

The prices of the case incentives varies but they typically run $50-60 when first released.  The Kraken for example is over $100 but started at $60.  I like it when its a big monster but they have been doing big monster and terrain pieces that seemed pretty popular for the Kraken.

Not to mention those are now good candidates for the Unpainted lineups. After seeing a actual product pic of the Unpainted Kraken set online (vs renders), I placed a order for it through my FLGS earlier this week.

Star Spawn of Cthulhu & Clockwork Dragon came out in the last Wave release. I gotta admit I kinda like the Wizkids Clk dragon over Reaper's. If Reaper didn't have the stiff wings......

Still good to have all options on the table these days thou.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, haldir said:

Not to mention those are now good candidates for the Unpainted lineups. After seeing a actual product pic of the Unpainted Kraken set online (vs renders), I placed a order for it through my FLGS earlier this week.

Star Spawn of Cthulhu & Clockwork Dragon came out in the last Wave release. I gotta admit I kinda like the Wizkids Clk dragon over Reaper's. If Reaper didn't have the stiff wings......

Still good to have all options on the table these days thou.

The unpainted line is shaping up nicely.  I get my supply of Dragonborn and Tieflings.  Though their dragons aren't the greatest.  This new run of Dragons from reaper makes me want to get rid of my old reaper dragons to make room.  

The clockwork Dragon that is one Im hoping gets redon by reaper.  The body was such a great sculpt but like You the wings kind ruin it for me.  While the wizkids one is better I agree.  Its also a lot smaller. 
I bought a prepainted star spawn that came to me broken.  Couldn't repair it either.  Couldn't return it.  Was kinda miffed but thats the risks of second hand.

The Kraken, I bought mine when it was first released so I got it cheaper than what it is now.  Its paint job was surprisingly good for a prepaint.   Then like what 6 months later surprise an unpainted one.  I dont think it comes with all the extra terrain pieces the case incentive did though.  I think it just comes with the tentacles.  Still its a good deal.  I dont know if I want to take the gamble of waiting for the elder brain to be a unpainted version.  

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Bane Of Humanity said:

The Kraken, I bought mine when it was first released so I got it cheaper than what it is now.  Its paint job was surprisingly good for a prepaint.   Then like what 6 months later surprise an unpainted one.  I dont think it comes with all the extra terrain pieces the case incentive did though.  I think it just comes with the tentacles.  Still its a good deal.  I dont know if I want to take the gamble of waiting for the elder brain to be a unpainted version.  

wzk73774_1.jpg

It's missing the islands but eh, oh well. (& the ship wheel/skeleton)

I heard you can apply selective heat & shape the wings on Wyrmgear but eh, I haven't tried as I'd rather not mess up the fig. Speaking of case incentives, I asked if my FLGS owner was going to order a case of the new Pathfinder release as I want the goblin village (sucker for anything Pathfinder goblin), he wasn't sure but that is one case-incentive I'm willing to pay whatever it come out as.

• Like 5

On 8/26/2019 at 5:30 AM, breegull said:

Re PF huges:

The Pathfinder Battles prepainted line only used huges as case incentives, etc., so there aren't very many existing huge sculpts for Wizkids to convert to unpainted. (We already got two of the likeliest candidates with the clockwork dragon and cthulu.)

That said, the upcoming Legendary Adventures prepainted set for PF2e is finally going to have huges as uncommons/rares in booster boxes, so I expect some will make it over to Deep Cuts.

Seeing as we’ve had plenty of Nolzur’s that are unreleased as prepaints (Tortles, T Rex, Triceratops), or ones that have been released prior to their comparable version in Icons of the Realms, I’m not sure why we wouldn’t expect Mark Morland and Paizo to drive the same way (especially with the release of Pathfinder 2.0).

Either way, I’ve been really happy to have multiple lines (Bones, Nolzur’s, Deep Cuts) to draw from for cheap and well done monsters.   I especially like it when I can get 3 or more similar versions of a individual creature, which are easy to further modify.  It makes the ability to place 6-10 unique yet thematically similar enemies on the table easy!  

Add in that lots of the new Reaper metal releases (especially dungeon dwellers) match well with newer bones releases is extra sweet frosting on top of an already delicious miniatures cake!

• Like 7

22 hours ago, Ratmaster2000 said:

Yeah, it's ridiculous.

SWEET figure, and very glad Pezler sent us one. Thanks, Pezler!! :bday:

We still look in on it, the price went UP! ::o: $40 and $50!! It's INSANE!

You might have better luck getting a set that includes it, some people are bundling the Nolzur minis.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/30/2019 at 10:39 AM, PaganMegan said:

That looks like Ursula's bigger, dumber brother.

Not a kraken, but I like it!

Not even close to a kraken!  

Its weird too, I could swear I’ve seen art for juvenile krakens in 5e and they look like squids!

32 minutes ago, Mattnuke said:

Not even close to a kraken!  

Its weird too, I could swear I’ve seen art for juvenile krakens in 5e and they look like squids!

Actually it's dead on for 5e Kraken art:

636252780680163799.jpeg

Juveniles do look like squids:

636936172903440081.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I should fix that....the 5e kraken art isn’t even close to my idea of what a kraken is!  ::D:

• Like 5