Beowulfthehunter

Unpainted Minis from Wizkids

Picked up the giant octopus and some sprites this afternoon. Was glad to see that the FLGS has cut back on the D*D stuff to make room for Reaper Bones Black. Frankly, there's more Bones that I want than there is D&D unpainted.

• Like 2

On 2/25/2018 at 9:13 PM, Dr.Bedlam said:

Don't get me started.

Bad enough they threatened to hire someone else to write Drizz't novels if Bob Salvatore wouldn't play ball, but I can only imagine what it must be like to be told "Yeah, your whole supporting cast is dead, so come up with something new, but leave Drizz't the same," but then, later, to be told "Find a way to bring the supporting cast back to life, the fans are rioting."

Yeesh.

I will rephrase myself for accuracy's sake.

"Bad enough they threatened to hire someone else to write Drizz't novels if Bob Salvatore wouldn't play ball, and that much WORSE that they said, 'we're doing a time skip to introduce Fourth Edition, so you have to kill your entire supporting cast except Drizz't, because he's the one who sells the books, and we own the character and we say so,' but I can only imagine what it must be like to be told "Find a way to bring the supporting cast back to life, the fans are rioting."

I felt bad for Ed Greenwood, too; they really put Elminster through the wringer for Fourth Edition, as well. It's almost like someone upstairs felt that making these characters suffer horribly would somehow improve sales.

And for the sake of dragging us back to the topic, I wonder when we'll get a new Elminster miniature? I sure didn't expect Ezmerelda and Van Richten, and they've done two different Minsc and Boo figures by now...

Edited by Dr.Bedlam
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

I will rephrase myself for accuracy's sake.

"Bad enough they threatened to hire someone else to write Drizz't novels if Bob Salvatore wouldn't play ball, and that much WORSE that they said, 'we're doing a time skip to introduce Fourth Edition, so you have to kill your entire supporting cast except Drizz't, because he's the one who sells the books, and we own the character and we say so,' but I can only imagine what it must be like to be told "Find a way to bring the supporting cast back to life, the fans are rioting."

I felt bad for Ed Greenwood, too; they really put Elminster through the wringer for Fourth Edition, as well. It's almost like someone upstairs felt that making these characters suffer horribly would somehow improve sales.

And for the sake of dragging us back to the topic, I wonder when we'll get a new Elminster miniature? I sure didn't expect Ezmerelda and Van Richten, and they've done two different Minsc and Boo figures by now...

They were using Scorched Earth tactics to insure that people switched to the new edition of both the game and the settings.

It didn't work - instead people adopted neither the new game nor the modified settings.

And then they realized that they had scorched their own earth, not that of their enemies. (These tactics never seem to work as planned - 4e, Champions: the New Millennium, New World of Darkness, Mage Knight 2, Age of Sigmar is starting to recover, but is nowhere near Warhammer Fantasy in its hay day.)

I rather like the Deep Cuts line - the one not tied to a specific system. Especially the furnishings. The hanging cage, the bounty board, the statues and fountains.

The Auld Grump

• Like 6

I'm kinda surprised 5E didn't just retcon that since most of it was about fixing 4E's mistakes.

Edited by BlazingTornado
  • Like 4

Andrew just hired Grump to "finish" his green dragon for him.

Not really sure why, it looks good enough already, just filthy.

It looks like it either burrows or roots, dirt up to the elbow, and covering the horn and lower face.

Andre did a good enough job without hiring a "finisher".

Okay, never mind, they are talking basing, not repainting. Andrew had never done a fancy base.

Andrew's basis was a combo of boar and badger, he wants a knocked over tree where the dragon dug under to get something beneath the roots.

Painted, I like the green better than I expected, big honker of a horn and all.

• Like 7

On 9/1/2019 at 5:17 PM, TheAuldGrump said:

They were using Scorched Earth tactics to insure that people switched to the new edition of both the game and the settings.

Grump, yer startin' to irritate me. Not because you're particularly irritating, and not because I disagree with you, but because your reasoning is entirely too plausible, despite the fact that you don't attract a new audience by burning down the old theatre. Particularly the ones who LIKED the old supporting cast and the Old Mage.

Or as a preacher of my acquaintance put it, "You don't get the dog to get rid of the old bone by yanking it away from him. You get him to drop the old bone by offering him a nice fresh juicy steak bone, something BETTER. Yanking it away from him is a good way to get bit."

Grrr.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

Grump, yer startin' to irritate me. Not because you're particularly irritating, and not because I disagree with you, but because your reasoning is entirely too plausible, despite the fact that you don't attract a new audience by burning down the old theatre. Particularly the ones who LIKED the old supporting cast and the Old Mage.

Or as a preacher of my acquaintance put it, "You don't get the dog to get rid of the old bone by yanking it away from him. You get him to drop the old bone by offering him a nice fresh juicy steak bone, something BETTER. Yanking it away from him is a good way to get bit."

Grrr.

I had not yet been born when they tore down the Old Howard in Boston in 1960 - after lovers of the old Athenaeum had pledged $1,500,000 to preserve her.

In the 1980s there were still people that were bitter about the end of the old burlesque theater, where Sally Rand had performed.

The phrase I use is 'they got stupid'. (And knowing that people get stupid is exactly why the folks that wrote the OGL made sure it was in perpetua - so that when, not if, some idiots decided to try to end it, they couldn't. Pathfinder was the direct result of the OGL working as intended.)

Bouncing back on topic - and with a nod to Megan's post - I am surprised that WizKids hasn't released a basing kit, yet.

A good base can make a world of difference.

For Andrew's dragon, I am cheating, and using green stuff, dirt, and small Woodland Scenics trees to make a root ball, and using insulation foam so there is a hole where the roots were torn out.

It's a decent sized dragon - and this job would have been a lot harder if the model was in metal.

The Auld Grump

*EDIT* I have a strong urge to reread Sullivan's The Night The Old Nostalgia Burned Down. (The author also wrote the wonderful Roar of the Greasepaint, Smell of the Crowd.)

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Corsair said:

Maybe "Floating Flapjacks" could work as a name...

We used to call them 'farting flapjacks'... (I don't know about the ToH version, but the 1e version flew by, well, passing gas....)

There were folks at TSR that loathed the Flumph.

The Auld Grump

On 8/31/2019 at 1:51 PM, Mattnuke said:

I should fix that....the 5e kraken art isn’t even close to my idea of what a kraken is!  ::D:

However, the body is fine by itself, and the tentacles are fine by themselves - so... two monsters for the price of one!

The Auld Grump - and of course the green tentacle goes off and becomes a hero, battling the evil purple tentacle.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

We used to call them 'farting flapjacks'... (I don't know about the ToH version, but the 1e version flew by, well, passing gas....)

There were folks at TSR that loathed the Flumph.

The Auld Grump

However, the body is fine by itself, and the tentacles are fine by themselves - so... two monsters for the price of one!

The Auld Grump - and of course the green tentacle goes off and becomes a hero, battling the evil purple tentacle.

Flumphs are the noblest of creatures....or at least they give off noble gasses. I think that counts.

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Flumphs are the noblest of creatures....or at least they give off noble gasses. I think that counts.

Magnificent Egos used to make a Flumph Floating Disk mini... with a rhubarb pie.

72339a.jpg

The Auld Grump

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

So we need fabulous, flatulent, floating flapjack frisbees? Where do we start the petition?

• Haha 3