Beowulfthehunter

Unpainted Minis from Wizkids

Probably not, just a silly Flumph detour.

Any word yet on Wave 11? Seems like there was a bit of a pause after the announcement of Wave 10. (And with no real grist for the mills... silliness happens.)

The Auld Grump

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Any word yet on Wave 11?

I haven’t seen or heard a thing.

Makes me wonder if maybe they’re going to have something big come out after Wave 10.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lidless Eye said:

There was a Flumph in the Mad Mage set, so maybe we'll see an unpainted variant soon enough

image.jpeg.f54e7da6cb85aa781779616699eac99d.jpeg

oh i have that mini

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Darsc Zacal said:

I haven’t seen or heard a thing.

Makes me wonder if maybe they’re going to have something big come out after Wave 10.

Wave 11 should be the one hitting the Christmas rush?

The Auld Grump

• Like 2

Interesting - the Wave 10 Deep Cuts Bedrolls are not the same as those included with the Adventurers' Camp.

I think these may be the most used minis in my collection, both the WizKids bedrolls and the Mantic ones.

The Auld Grump

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Wave 11 should be the one hitting the Christmas rush?

The Auld Grump

I’m not sure.

I thought Wave 10 was scheduled for a November release. If true, Wizkids has more than a month between releases which would put Wave 11 well after Christmas, and the New Year.

• Like 3

That might well explain the delay then - the lull after Christmas.

Too bad, while Wave 10 has a lot of useful stuff, it doesn't have any real flashy gems. (Hell, if they had something half as cool as that Adventurers' camp....)

The Auld Grump - tempted to get Sam one for Christmas... not bad for being out for a year and a half now.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Darsc Zacal said:

I’m not sure.

I thought Wave 10 was scheduled for a November release. If true, Wizkids has more than a month between releases  which would put Wave 11 well after Christmas, and the New Year.

With wave 9 being delayed it pushed everything up a month, but originally it was for November. Wave 11 will probably be in the spring sometime. I recall the first wave this year was in April or May I think.

Remember too, Transformers comes out in December I think & I'm sure the MLPony is in there as well. (MLP is OCT) Not to mention all the 4D & newest Pathfinder & D&D prepaints. Allot on the list for miniatures, where they are unpainted or not.

• Like 4

On 9/5/2019 at 10:51 PM, TheAuldGrump said:

Too bad, while Wave 10 has a lot of useful stuff, it doesn't have any real flashy gems. (Hell, if they had something half as cool as that Adventurers' camp....)

Wave 10 has Gung!  It also has that ‘oh so hard to find’ bone golem.

• Like 3

On 9/2/2019 at 8:03 PM, TheAuldGrump said:

Bouncing back on topic - and with a nod to Megan's post - I am surprised that WizKids hasn't released a basing kit, yet.

Surprises me not in the least.

D&D miniatures have always been all about the GAME, not about presentation. They are intended for moving around on maps and tabletops, not for artistic expression. Hell, I'm almost surprised they actually released a line of PAINTS, except that they're counting on the idea of "Official D&D Paint For Official D&D Miniatures" to call out to the game players, the ones who want the D&D experience, and aren't familiar with the greater scope of the hobby. 

Back in the day, only reason I bought Grenadier minis is because they were the official D&D minis at the time. Said so on the box. I'd have bought official D&D paints, if there'd been such a thing. 

But paints are necessary. At this point, they ain't GOT as far as basing. And might not EVER, considering they're using colored renders to push the product, instead of actual painted examples of product. Basing is for ARTISTS. Y'know, people who paint minis professionally, or even semi profesionally. 

Who's going to think of adding digital basing to a digital paint job?

• Like 2

This is kind of where I personally stand on bases, too.

I do see my minis as intended for play, so I don't really see the purpose of a scenic basing if they'll be delving into dank dungeons, murky swamps, arid deserts, shadowy forests and city-states, where the scenery of the base may not fit. If the mini has some scenery sculpted on the base (like Reaper does) I'll do a quick paint on it but otherwise....

24 minutes ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

Back in the day, only reason I bought Grenadier minis is because they were the official D&D minis at the time.

Is there something... bad about Grenadier minis? You're not the first old schooler I see express dislike/indifference towards them...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BlazingTornado said:

Is there something... bad about Grenadier minis? You're not the first old schooler I see express dislike/indifference towards them...

Not exactly. Fact is, Grenadier did some fine minis. But there were better ones out there. I just didn't KNOW about them.

I was a gamer before I was a Miniatures Guy, and the introduction for me was Dungeons and Dragons. I laid hands on D&D locally, learned to play, and started a group... but there were no hobby shops literally within hundreds of miles. But the game specifically said that it might be enhanced by the use of miniature figures. So I got in touch with The Dungeon Hobby Shop in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin (from my home in deep south Texas) and got their catalog.

The catalog was a xeroxed thing with way more text than pics, and the pics were of the quality one expects when one xeroxes photographs with a 1970s xerox machine. Lacking any clear picture of anything, I just ordered boxed sets of Grenadier's official D&D minis, and hoped for the best. And when they arrived... weeks later... I learned to paint them. Using ancient Testors enamel paints. Because that's what you painted models with, back then.

And for a year that's how it went.

This changed when a member of our group visited relatives in College Station, where there was a hobby shop, and he saw COLLEGE GUYS playing D&D with these amazing superior miniatures with amazing superior paint jobs! He learned that these minis were made by some straaange foreign sounding outfit called "Ral Partha," and painted with acrylic potions named "Polly S." And lo, our experiences leveled up, so to speak. I began to order Ral Partha products from the faraway land of Lake Geneva, some of which were even sculpted by the renowned sorceress Julie Guthrie!

Not quite a year after THAT, I found myself in the Dallas Fort Worth area, and wangled a side trip to a hobby shop in Bedford... the first I'd ever seen... and saw blistered minis on the rack, for the first time, and many other wonders....

...the point being that in all honesty, the early Grenadier product wasn't the best on the market. It WAS the OFFICIAL D&D product, though, and sold largely on that basis. As time went on, though, I learned that there was better stuff to be had. I'm still sentimental about the old Grenadier... you never forget your first car, your first girl, or your first million... but it's way behind the curve, today.

• Like 5