Beowulfthehunter

Unpainted Minis from Wizkids

28 minutes ago, BlazingTornado said:

Were those from Minifigs or Grenadier?

Heritage; Lost Minis sez they were Heritage LOTR Misty Mountain Orcs. And  this one's sculpted sharper than the ones I had; I recognize him largely by the pose.

Figure Heritage LOTR Misty Mountain Orc Raised Axe 1772a.jpg

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

40 minutes ago, PaganMegan said:

I want bigger versions of those RP orcs

Good news and bad.

First, Tom Meijer did release 2 lines based on his earlier RP work. One was a "standard" size and the other was very similar to the 78 sculpts but noticeably larger. I think each line had 8 figures. They were sold through his boutique company Thunderbolt Mountain.

The bad news is that Thunderbolt Mountain closed a couple of Christmases ago, and I haven't seen hide or hair of the larger orcs since then. I've checked eBay, Google, any resource or reseller I can think of, and nothing. You see, I want a set of them, too, having seen them in person twice, thefirst time at Origins when Tom was there with his stuff. It was very nice to meet such a legend.

Anyway, months ago I hear a rumor that IWM was going to be selling the TM stuff but I haven't seen it materialize.

So, good luck hunting, and please let me know if you find anything. I'll do the same.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, PaganMegan said:

The Ral Partha orcs, with their armor, kilts, and their dingle dangles dingle dangling down were the same time, I think, and still look good today. And they are older than I am!

Just small. ::(:

I painted a batch of those orcs after the first recent Chaos Wars Kickstarter, and was floored to notice that there were decorative snarling faces sculpted into the greaves, among other details...

But yes, RP and modern Reaper figures don’t mix on my table because of size, unless I’m upsizing a Reaper orc to be an ogre or some such. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

I want bigger versions of those RP orcs.

I'd like larger versions of lots of old RP figures. The sculpting was often excellent, but the sizes are just incompatible in many cases.

• Like 6

I've had the same problem with size differences. I had to do some basing tricks to make an old RP werewolf look roughly as large as a couple of giant Reaper werewolves in the same group.

I've pretty much learned to ignore it. I love the old classic stuff and own lots of it, but I don't want to miss out on the fun of larger, somewhat less proportioned yet more dynamic Reaper figs. I just say the figures aren't scaled and mix them up.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Madog Barfog said:

Good news and bad.

First, Tom Meijer did release 2 lines based on his earlier RP work. One was a "standard" size and the other was very similar to the 78 sculpts but noticeably larger. I think each line had 8 figures. They were sold through his boutique company Thunderbolt Mountain.

The bad news is that Thunderbolt Mountain closed a couple of Christmases ago, and I haven't seen hide or hair of the larger orcs since then. I've checked eBay, Google, any resource or reseller I can think of, and nothing. You see, I want a set of them, too, having seen them in person twice, thefirst time at Origins when Tom was there with his stuff. It was very nice to meet such a legend.

Anyway, months ago I hear a rumor that IWM was going to be selling the TM stuff but I haven't seen it materialize.

So, good luck hunting, and please let me know if you find anything. I'll do the same.

Were that rumor true, it would be wonderful news indeed!  Not holding my breath, but  one can always dream! I'd love to also see Thunderbolt Mountain's old little mini-dioramas return, but once again, wishful thinking.....

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Madog Barfog said:

. I just say the figures aren't scaled and mix them up.

That’s a reasonable option.  I use mixed scales in a few gaming contexts (usually buildings or vehicles smaller than the scale of the figures).

• Like 4

17 hours ago, 72moonglum said:

Were that rumor true, it would be wonderful news indeed!  Not holding my breath, but  one can always dream! I'd love to also see Thunderbolt Mountain's old little mini-dioramas return, but once again, wishful thinking.....

I own all the dioramas from Thunderbolt mountain, a GenCon long ago Mr Meier himself talked us into buying a bundle deal of all the minis in production at the time.  All of them are still in whatever box we brought them home in...  Thought I am planning on painting the Teddy bear picnic SOON (TM).

Edited by Citrine
Grammar
  • Like 6

38 minutes ago, Citrine said:

I own all the dioramas from Thunderbolt mountain, a GenCon long ago Mr Meier himself takes us into buying a bundle deal of all the minis in production at the time.  All of them are still in whatever box we brought them home in...  Thought I am planning on painting the Teddy bear picnic SOON (TM).

Oh, sweet jealousy.......

• Like 2

Huh, I wasn't expecting to like the Nolzur orcs, but they scale nicely as characters with the Mantic orc grunts.

Mantic orcs are the go to orcs for my Northlands game. We have a buttload of them. The boars and trolls are nice too.

• Like 8

On 9/10/2019 at 9:18 AM, PaganMegan said:

Huh, I wasn't expecting to like the Nolzur orcs, but they scale nicely as characters with the Mantic orc grunts.

Mantic orcs are the go to orcs for my Northlands game. We have a buttload of them. The boars and trolls are nice too.

The last releases from the Pathfinder Deep Cuts line are excellent minis. I seen those at the FLGS & snagged those as soon as I could. They don't suffer scale vs the Nolzur's. The PDC gnolls & Nolzur's gnolls don't mix due to the sizes. It's kinda like 1/24 & 1/25 in model cars. They look good until you put them side by side & you see the difference. Why they did that I have no idea.

• Like 3

Hyeanas from different areas have different sizes.

Make them different tribes of the same race, in Pathfinder give them different racial traits. Don't hide the difference in scale, give them different colors and patterns. Make them DIFFERENT!

Then have each group make snide comments about the other!

Then have some poor sap of a human say they all look the same to him.

No problem! ::D:

I WAS joking, but now I'm not.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

In D&D gnolls have always been on the tall end (AD&D and BD&D listed their size as L and even modern D&D I think has em be like seven feet tall), dunno if Pathfinder made em more normal humanoid sized.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, BlazingTornado said:

In D&D gnolls have always been on the tall end (AD&D and BD&D listed their size as L and even modern D&D I think has em be like seven feet tall), dunno if Pathfinder made em more normal humanoid sized.

Gnolls in 5e are tall but are medium size creatures (they don't give them any special abilities for being a "large" creature in a medium frame like say goliaths. They are medium in P2e. They are medium in P1e as well. 

As with most scale issues on here, it usually ends up being the same answer (not everyone is the same size, etc etc etc). I'm just saying, looking at the 2 packs of figures side by side, the Pathfinder ones are definitely smaller then the gNolzur's. Being that Gnolls are taller then humans in general this was disappointing to me when I was going to get them at the time. I was happy with the gNolzur's but I do like the Pathfinder sculpts better.

• Like 3