Beowulfthehunter

Unpainted Minis from Wizkids

50 minutes ago, Ratmaster2000 said:

Is the primer able to be stripped off?

I honestly don't know. There's probably a way to do it, but I personally wouldn't bother to strip primer from a PVC mini. For the really nice ones like the beholder and frost giant, it would be nice to take them down to bare plastic, if there was an easy way. I'd be afraid that the primer might have a higher resistance bonus to solvents than the plastic. ::P:

Just got the AK paint stripper today, I'll try on one of the "spells tentacles" and let you know soon

Edited by Cicciopiu

It seems that yes! is strippable; this is the result after one application, further application will probably clean it perfectly.

strip.jpg.d74c34e2ee7d168c1adf6fa1d9dc0aee.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Ratmaster2000 said:

I have used both PineSol and Simple Green to strip primer and paint off of plastic minis.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ratmaster2000 said:

I can confirm that the primaer is easily stripped off, keep in mind that the plastic underneath is almost exactly the same colour.

My FLGS just messaged me that they just got in SIX beholders! Wooooooooo!!!!!

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

My FLGS just messaged me that they just got in SIX beholders! Wooooooooo!!!!!

Go Go Pezler!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

I understand that others have had issues getting them, so I'll help where I'm able to.

As someone who doesn't RPG, what is the excitement surrounding this mini?

8 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

I understand that others have had issues getting them, so I'll help where I'm able to.

It has been much appreciated.

Even if it did try to kill the party within weeks after the paint had dried.... ::D:

7 minutes ago, Corsair said:

WizKids misjudged the number that were likely to sell by a literal order of magnitude.

The short supply has made them very attractive to speculators - who buy the models in large number at list price, then multiply that price two to five times.

And their buying the models has kept them in short supply.

On top of that - it is a really nice looking model - and compares favorably to resin models that retail at the same price the speculators are charging for the WizKids version. (In all honesty - the WizKids model looks nicer than most of the resin models. And much nicer than the prepainted models.)

The Auld Grump

*EDIT* It is also a fun model to paint.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

Grump covers the highlights, but they're also covered by Wizard of the Coast's intellectual property, so unlike some other creatures--owlbears, for example--it's difficult for miniature companies without a WotC license to make good beholders. There's not a lot of good competition.

• Like 3

Yep. The Beholder is a very well done sculpt that’s a steal at the original retail price and even comes with extra spell effect eye stalks.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Corsair said:

Like others have said...  Well done sculpt, and the fact it's $6 CAD for a fairly tall, and thick mini.  Has a pretty awesome expression too. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Corsair said:

I'm not a player (I used to be), just a collector and a painter... and I love it! Simply because... it's THE beholder!
And this piece it's very well sculpted, it is big! and it cost just 5€ :ik_oops:

• Like 2