Jump to content

Beowulfthehunter

Unpainted Minis from Wizkids

Recommended Posts

They're nice and detailed and a good size, I'm a little sad that for lots of these monster/creature 2 packs Wizkids are just doing 2 of the same sculpt, I'd prefer them if they were 2 slightly different sculpts for variety but can always paint them up differently so it's not the end of the world!

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MiniDungeonMaster said:

They're nice and detailed and a good size, I'm a little sad that for lots of these monster/creature 2 packs Wizkids are just doing 2 of the same sculpt, I'd prefer them if they were 2 slightly different sculpts for variety but can always paint them up differently so it's not the end of the world!

Eh, you young whippersnappers are spoiled for choice! (Look up the Minifigs Greyhawk miniatures... there wasn't a whole lot of choice when I started in the hobby. ::P: )

 

This... is a golden age. You have no idea how happy I am seeing all the choices out there on the market, and how very happy I am with the less expensive models out there. (Bones, WizKids, Oathmark/Frostrgave, the Mantic terrain... I have a miniature for a vardo! Do you know how long I have wanted a mini for a vardo?! ::D: And my wife has one too! )

 

The Auld Grump

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not to mention with the internet you can see all that's available on the websites!

 

Before then all you'd have is your store's stock and maybe you could get a catalog....

1 hour ago, TheAuldGrump said:

I have a miniature for a vardo! Do you know how long I have wanted a mini for a vardo?!

What's a vardo?

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, BlazingTornado said:

Not to mention with the internet you can see all that's available on the websites!

 

Before then all you'd have is your store's stock and maybe you could get a catalog....

What's a vardo?

 

House-wagon.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And it is even better if you have seen this -

Romanichal_wagon.JPG

Romanichal Reading vardo, early 20th century , at the Glasgow Museum of Transport

 

A similar wagon, if not the same identical one, was at the Smithsonian, back in the late seventies.

 

Not just a vardo - but one made for the fortune teller.

 

The Auld Grump - my hopes for the model were rather low - to say that they were exceeded is a criminal understatement - I love that model.

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also allot cheaper then the prepainted set that was a case incentive in a past Wizkids release.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, haldir said:

Also allot cheaper then the prepainted set that was a case incentive in a past Wizkids release.

Tell me about it.

I bought that set before I knew an unpainted version would become available later.

  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2019 at 10:57 AM, TheAuldGrump said:

Eh, you young whippersnappers are spoiled for choice! (Look up the Minifigs Greyhawk miniatures... there wasn't a whole lot of choice when I started in the hobby. ::P: )

 

This... is a golden age. You have no idea how happy I am seeing all the choices out there on the market, and how very happy I am with the less expensive models out there. (Bones, WizKids, Oathmark/Frostrgave, the Mantic terrain... I have a miniature for a vardo! Do you know how long I have wanted a mini for a vardo?! ::D: And my wife has one too! )

 

The Auld Grump

 

Well, it's certainly a golden age now.  

 

For the benefit of those who don't remember Minifigs, here's a link to the Lost Minis Wiki page for the World of Greyhawk miniatures.  Most of the miscellaneous humans, by the way, were historical figures from their Dark Ages or other historical lines repackaged.  But, as I recall, those were released around '77 (at least the related D&D figure line was announced in their ad as "New" in Dragon #6, cover date April 1977).  At that time, my local shops had early Ral Partha, some Custom Cast/Heritage, early Grenadier, and probably some Garrison figures as well, but south eastern Michigan was a war games hot spot as far as I can tell.

 

On topic, I picked up a pack of the pre-primed Pathfinder children on my visit to the FLGS yesterday...

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

have my triceratops now too. It's alright, my paleo-artist side is twinging at its face but that just drives me to sculpt my own sooner haha

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I managed to pick up this little fellow the other day:

 

1548188428393343675477650218008.thumb.jpg.086a2f67a48b4059855f35604156bfe5.jpg

 

I'm tempted to figure out how to greenstuff a T-shirt on him to make him look like this:

 

image.png.73fc44790a7fabdf02101ca324000c34.png

 

And if I'm going to do that, I might as well go all the way:

 

image.png.f2cbe0c82661c2c5a75d706194db9020.png

  • Like 4
  • Haha 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will be honest - ever since Night at the Museum, I have been wanting a nice undead tyrannosaurus. (And by nice, I mean nice - the look on the hero's face when he realized he would be throwing that bone. All. Night. Long... while the Rex is wagging its bony tail. Best scene in the whole movie, as far as I am concerned.)

 

The Auld Grump

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I started painting up the Umber Hulk and got more than halfway done before realizing I should've boiled the thing to give it a more upright stance.  A couple days ago I took a risk and hit the mostly painted mini with a hair drier on high. That softened it up quite a lot. I stood it up, put a GW wash holder under it to help hold the position (probably wasn't necessary) and threw it in the freezer. Looks like it worked. The wash holder did knock off a tiny paint chip under the beast's belly, but otherwise it looks fine. :winkthumbs: Now if I can just get off my duff and finish painting the thing.

 

 

Spoiler

Before the hair dryer:

qxZKzaZ.jpg?1

 

After the hair dryer:

 Qa1JLJx.jpg?1

 

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, CorallineAlgae said:

I started painting up the Umber Hulk and got more than halfway done before realizing I should've boiled the thing to give it a more upright stance.  A couple days ago I took a risk and hit the mostly painted mini with a hair drier on high. That softened it up quite a lot. I stood it up, put a GW wash holder under it to help hold the position (probably wasn't necessary) and threw it in the freezer. Looks like it worked. The wash holder did knock off a tiny paint chip under the beast's belly, but otherwise it looks fine. :winkthumbs: Now if I can just get off my duff and finish painting the thing.

 

 

  Hide contents

Before the hair dryer:

qxZKzaZ.jpg?1

 

After the hair dryer:

 Qa1JLJx.jpg?1

 

Much improved!!

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×