Beowulfthehunter

Unpainted Minis from Wizkids

Last time we faced a hill giant in Grumpy's game, it threw a giant ball of dung at us! Fire hardened outside, inside wet, sticky, and full to bursting.

That sticks in my mind. :zombie:

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

7 minutes ago, PaganMegan said:

Last time we faced a hill giant in Grumpy's game, it threw a giant ball of dung at us! Fire hardened outside, inside wet, sticky, and full to bursting.

That sticks in my mind. :zombie:

I initially read that last line as 'that stinks in my head' - and ... eugh.

That said, I need to remember that specific horrible trick; it's not as if flinging filth and rotten carcasses is limited to siege engines... .

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

It's odd that the  whole giants bit from pretty much every company is now every giant is Huge. I'm starting to feel old in that I remember a Mountain Giant's ridiculous size meant something. Now it'd be considered 'tiny' among it's newly risen brothers and sisters.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JoeGKushner said:

It's odd that the  whole giants bit from pretty much every company is now every giant is Huge. I'm starting to feel old in that I remember a Mountain Giant's ridiculous size meant something. Now it'd be considered 'tiny' among it's newly risen brothers and sisters.

Materials and availability.

Gygax used plastic caveman toys as his hill giants and ogres - so the giants were the size of those toys. ::): (A lot of iconic D&D monsters started as cheap plastic toys - rust monsters, owlbears, land sharks*....)

Later, minis were made of lead, and got heavy pretty quick.

Now... plastic is making a comeback, with reasonable prices and detail, and reduced weight.

This is a golden age - enjoy it! I know I do! An entire small industry has evolved just to give me my toy soldiers! ::D:

The Auld Grump

* And was why I was so very ticked with Gygax when he put that line about 'only' using official AD&D miniatures in the Dungeon Master's Guide. There was a lot of rules in the game that Gygax never bothered using, himself. (Weapon speeds, the horrible unarmed combat system....)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Picked up a few of the new wave today from the FLGS!!

Misnc & Delina (or human ranger & moon elf sorcerer, whatever)

Dragonborn Sorcerors (very nice. allot of details, thou some the bits like the magic kinda get in the way to paint areas up)

Deep Cuts Orcs (also very nice. Beefy too. I was worried these would suffer from the gnoll midget complex but they size right up to the Nolzur's  & Reaper ones quite nicely. Also the dual swords & the axe on the other are nice & straight!!)

Young green Dragon (Very nice sculpt & the way the post hold the dragon it is in mid circle flight. The biggest problem thou is the base & it took me till I removed the base from the package to figure what was wrong as it says it on the back of the package (base made for stability, not correct for gaming purposes). It's a huge base vs a large base.....<_<. I was going to try & get this one painted up quickly for the finale of Mines of Pandelver on Monday night 5e but with the base FU, I'm not sure I wanna deal with the hassle. At least I still have the green prepaint from Tyranny set to use.

Villager set wasn't out yet, hopefully next week!!

He had every release for this wave & I'll get the giants & other dragons eventually but with getting Bones 4 in on Friday & having the stone giants & other similar figures in that big beautiful box,  I figured I was good to go for awhile.

• Like 5

On 5/3/2019 at 6:24 PM, Sylverthorne said:

I initially read that last line as 'that stinks in my head' - and ... eugh.

That said, I need to remember that specific horrible trick; it's not as if flinging filth and rotten carcasses is limited to siege engines... .

I wanted those giants to stand out, not only as evil, but also as unpleasant.

Plus, the PCs had to make a Fort save or be sickened, and were exposed to Filth Fever if they took any damage before washing the crap off.

Also, the giants were big fans of eating prisoners - waste not, want not... but it makes ransoms a bit chancy.

The Auld Grump

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

On 5/3/2019 at 4:44 PM, Darsc Zacal said:

My hobby budget has been tight lately but I did have enough left on a Christmas gift card to get a couple of the WizKids giants today.

Shown below from left to right; WIzKids Stone Giant,  Reaper Bones 4 Stone Giant, Sir Forscale, Wizkids Cloud Giant.

EBF21B81-CBC2-410B-9D97-FECD23C29B88.thumb.jpeg.d0dadaead8aeac70c7e6d06686d08581.jpeg

And a close up of the Stone Giants, even though Reapers refused to look at the camera.

303E8766-D3BA-45F4-AD22-510A3384E704.thumb.jpeg.1007a57a9124a5346148c9c16263e56c.jpeg

The Wizkids Stone G is bigger than Reapers, but not as much as I thought it would be.

The Cloud Giant towers over the two, but I don’t like the sculpt as much as what Reaper has coming out for theirs. 

However since I figure those are likely about two years away this will fill the role nicely for now.

They also had the hill giant, but I really don’t like his styling.

And sorry Smokestack, they had the new dragons there but I didn’t have the budget for them. I thought they were a decent size.

Daddy giant and teenaged child.

That cloud giant... I would not use it as a giant, but as some form of evil Outsider? It has potential.

The Auld Grump - I'm pretty sure there is something in Rise of the Runelords where that mini would be handy....

• Like 4

Have to say I don't like that Wizkids stone giant at all. Proportions seem wrong. I like the Reaper one better! Also don't care for the Cloud Giant either, for aesthetic reasons.

Damon.

• Like 3

I believe that Cloud Giant represents a special "type" from Volo's Guide To Monsters, not a vanilla Cloud Giant.

Name of it escapes me right now... Volo's had a bunch of these, a multi-headed Frost Giant obviously inspired by the old Monster In My Pocket Jotun Troll,

a Fire Giant dual spiked shields wielder, a Stone Giant with bits of ships embedded in his body, a Hill Giant that eats all the time and a Storm Giant "quintessent".

• Like 1

I find the sculpted style of the stone giant very interesting. I like it.

It’s somewhat in the style of some Art Deco sculpts and other artwork I’ve seen and liked.

• Like 1

The Cloud Giant is supposed to be Countess Sansuri, one of the opposing Giant Lords in The Storm King's Thunder.  While she has customized stats, she is not specifically a Cloud Giant Smiling One, a special Giant type that was introduced in Volo's:

Image result for cloud giant smiling one

I stand corrected on the Stone Giant.  I thought it was meant to be Thane Kayalithica from the same adventure, but she is wearing stone armor as well in her art.  I am still under the impression it is a female Stone Giant from the chest, especially compared to the previous 5E Stone Giants.

• Like 5

Wait. What?!? 

These are female giants?

:huh::unsure::blush:

It was bad enough when I didn’t realize that about the fire giant mini.

• Haha 11

53 minutes ago, Darsc Zacal said:

Wait. What?!? 

These are female giants?

:huh::unsure::blush:

It was bad enough when I didn’t realize that about the fire giant mini.

It is a female, she just has a chest appropriate to her frame.

• Like 3

Stone Giants keep their boulders in the appropriate sack on their belt.

Now that I think about it, most of the WizKids Giants except the Hill Giants are missing the usual sack and loot.  Sad.

On May 6, 2019 at 6:24 PM, Lidless Eye said:

The Cloud Giant is supposed to be Countess Sansuri, one of the opposing Giant Lords in The Storm King's Thunder.  While she has customized stats, she is not specifically a Cloud Giant Smiling One, a special Giant type that was introduced in Volo's:

Image result for cloud giant smiling one

I stand corrected on the Stone Giant.  I thought it was meant to be Thane Kayalithica from the same adventure, but she is wearing stone armor as well in her art.  I am still under the impression it is a female Stone Giant from the chest, especially compared to the previous 5E Stone Giants.

Yeah got em mixed up....

Cloud Giants in 5e are are just so.... indistinctive.... Almost identical to Storm Giants aside from skin tone.

So hard to commit them to memory.