Beowulfthehunter

Unpainted Minis from Wizkids

While I like the sculpts of most of their giants, they're just too big. I don't sweat minor scale differences too much, but the differences between Wizkids and Reaper is too much.

9 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

I guess someone at your home is going to have to paint that now. :poke:

Already planned, even if I never run a MLP game.

The part of Thanos will be played by Josh Brony-n.

I have only ever seen one episode of MLP - but I found the Summon Fainting Couch spell hilarious.

The Auld Grump

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 6/2/2019 at 7:19 AM, Chaoswolf said:

While I like the sculpts of most of their giants, they're just too big. I don't sweat minor scale differences too much, but the differences between Wizkids and Reaper is too much.

I can see that, but game wise some giants are supposed to be really big. Below is a pathfinder giant size chart I found online. They get really tall. 

faabbf8a744abef18901a97a9410bab1.png

In DnD 5e giants get even bigger. Hill giants are listed as 16' tall  (more than 2½ times human height) and they go all the way up to the 26' storm giant. This is right out of the Monster Manual. Beefy bunch.

z0Rm51c.png

Most recent Bones are very close the same size. If anything, I'd like the Reaper frost giants on up to be larger. Maybe not as tall as the tallest WizKids giants, but some Reaper fire giants are shorter than some of their stone giants. (group pic I found on Facebook below) In the end, I use whatever giants I have, even if some of them are shrimpy by Monster Manual standards. 

59439956_1553373944798563_57158408022031

• Like 3

I think this was addressed before but giant heights have been all over the place in D&D's history. In AD&D they were close to that Pathfinder chart, then AD&D 2nd Edition scaled em up closer to that 5E chart, then they shrunk back down for 3rd/3.5/PF (and 4E too perhaps?), then scaled up once more for 5E.

• Like 1

Back in my day a giants height was whatever the DM said it was.

You kids get your “official height” giants off my lawn.

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

I'm usually a fan of "official" monster sizing as well. But Wizkids only offers 1 giant of each kind. So for gameplay situations that's very, very limiting. 

I'd rather have giants that are too small but form a marry group, than have one, lonely but big giant to swing his axes all by himself.

9 hours ago, Darsc Zacal said:

I feel like I saw that reply the last time the discussion came up. XD

I personally prefer a smaller, more manageable size.... If only so encounters don't solely consist of

the heroes hacking away at a Giant's ankles and shins until that somehow kills them. ;)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Picked up the Ranger (Minsc) and Sorceress pack and the Orc on Wary for the other day.

The sorceress is named Delina (link). She's a moon elf who uses wild magic. An unpredictable spell effect accidentally revives Minsc, at least that's how it happens in the Baldur's Gate comics. Her sculpt is based on the art from the comic book. The stories are a little silly, but I keep buying them. Fun read. I'm not sure why I haven't picked up their mini pack yet. I need to get on that. 

330?cb=20141209212223  73675_Human-Ranger-Moon-Elf-Sorcerer.png

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Picked up the Ranger (Minsc) and Sorceress pack and the Orc on Wary for the other day.

Love the fact that the orcs aren't dinky sized figures. The Pathfinder line tends to be a tad bit smaller then the Nolzur's line (think 25mm vs 28mm). Just look at the 2 gnoll packs between the 2 lines. Awesome sculpts but the size is off enough that they look puny.

2 hours ago, CorallineAlgae said:

The sorceress is named Delina (link). She's a moon elf who uses wild magic. An unpredictable spell effect accidentally revives Minsc, at least that's how it happens in the Baldur's Gate comics. Her sculpt is based on the art from the comic book. The stories are a little silly, but I keep buying them. Fun read. I'm not sure why I haven't picked up their mini pack yet. I need to get on that. 

330?cb=20141209212223  73675_Human-Ranger-Moon-Elf-Sorcerer.png

I picked up off drivethru a few weeks ago the issue where Boo is the star. I have no idea why, thou I did like the cover artwork, the inside was standard comic art. I did get, back in the day by the DC Comics, the AD&D series, so maybe I was hoping for something similar to that. Speaking of based off of artwork. I figured out where the new female human cleric comes from (the one with the crown like headwear). She is off of artwork based off of Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan (Tale of the Yawning Portal Edition).

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Darsc Zacal said:

if your giant has not cast enlarge person on themself, they are not trying.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, haldir said:

I picked up off drivethru a few weeks ago the issue where Boo is the star. I have no idea why, thou I did like the cover artwork, the inside was standard comic art. I did get, back in the day by the DC Comics, the AD&D series, so maybe I was hoping for something similar to that. Speaking of based off of artwork. I figured out where the new female human cleric comes from (the one with the crown like headwear). She is off of artwork based off of Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan (Tale of the Yawning Portal Edition).

I still have the first ten or so AD&D DC comics. Haven't read them in over 20 years though. 

Very nice catch on the cleric. :winkthumbs: The sculpt even has her book. 

wzk73671_1.jpg med.png?1490330199937&f=1

• Like 6

To be honest I wasn't really as fan of that mini (then again I was more in the lines of "Anther human cleric? Why? So many other PC mini types that could be made!!" but after catching that, I'm more of a fan of her now then I was. Plus due to the tiny arms/wrists on Darksword minis I'm in the market for a female human cleric for a player. The shield of the DS mini fell off again last night during gameplay, so I'm in the market for something similar. Thou that may be taken by a recent Reaper release.

• Like 1

As soon as I dipped my shambling mound in the miniwax, the cats decided that they HAD to check it out, shedding as they came. <_<

I rescued it mostly in time, and had tweezers handy.

• Haha 5
  • Confused 4