Beowulfthehunter

Unpainted Minis from Wizkids

6 hours ago, haldir said:

More then meets the eye?

Were people asking for this? I love me some Transformers, but these... don't transform?

Is there a TF TTRPG of which I'm unaware?

Edited by Darsc Zacal
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I would cheerfully buy Masters of the Universe characters in 28mm, but I have no idea what I'd do with Optimus Prime in the same scale. Or most other scales, really. Whose idea was THIS?

I'm envisioning some Hasbro executive who wanders through the D&D offices occasionally, saying, "Hey, neat miniatures! You know what would go GREAT with these? Something from a preestablished toy line! How about Transformers? Yeah, Transformers! Make it happen!"

Edited by Dr.Bedlam
  • Like 3

That's probably how it happened.

Didn't they also announce those creepy ponies a while back?

MOTU stuff would be great. I'd army build Mer-Man for Sahuagin.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sanael said:

Were people asking for this? I love me some Transformers, but these... don't transform?

Official? Not that I know of.

Unofficial? At least one -

63037.jpg

I used it for my old Steamcraft game - one of the PCs was a transforming steam shovel and his human companion.

The Auld Grump

• Like 6

17 hours ago, Sanael said:

17 hours ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

I would cheerfully buy Masters of the Universe characters in 28mm, but I have no idea what I'd do with Optimus Prime in the same scale. Or most other scales, really. Whose idea was THIS?

I'm envisioning some Hasbro executive who wanders through the D&D offices occasionally, saying, "Hey, neat miniatures! You know what would go GREAT with these? Something from a preestablished toy line! How about Transformers? Yeah, Transformers! Make it happen!"

Pretty sure it was the same people that thought unpainted My Little Pony & the Star Trek (whatever their ship combat game is) Unpainted line will/would be a hit amongst painters. More or less trying to get fans of those line ups into painting figures. I have no problem with & I'll probably get em if they continue the classic 80s line up of Tfs (better not be any Bay-formers in there!!!) Definitely will be getting Soundwave if he ever comes out (my favorite Tfer). I mean there are Transformer Metal Earth models as well.

71dhJSSuzEL._SY355_.jpg

They are basically the same in they are the robot but in a static pose. These at least have a better dynamic pose to them. Besides they have those mass marketed metal "miniatures" (Nano Metallics) featuring popular characters from various lines in the toy aisle at your favorite 'mart with really bad paintjobs as well. So there is a market for miniatures that aren't D&D based figures.

• Like 3

interesting, these show up and suddenly there is a giant transforming robot minis game on the front page of table top gaming news...

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

interesting, these show up and suddenly there is a giant transforming robot minis game on the front page of table top gaming news...

Must be the new trend in gaming, as I'm seeing 2 or 3 bot games on the front page alone.

• Like 2

I dunno. The only reason I can think of for buying a little model of Optimus Prime that I have to paint myself?

To annoy people when I play a game of Battletech.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

32 minutes ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

I dunno. The only reason I can think of for buying a little model of Optimus Prime that I have to paint myself?

To annoy people when I play a game of Battletech.

Starscream is not a terrible fit for the Valkyrie LAM

(I would have said phoenix hawk, but that's based on the same toy as his much larger boyfriend)

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, PaganMegan said:

The beholder has gone UP in price on Amazon! ::o: $34 now.

WTAF?!

Even when it's NOT collectible, it's collectible.

• Like 2

Do beholders really get used so much that there's a shortage? I can't remember having ever encountered one in a game.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

Do beholders really get used so much that there's a shortage? I can't remember having ever encountered one in a game.

Like dragons, they've always been more popular in concept than in actual play (IME). In the specific case of the Wizkids Beholder, they're hard to find because they're popular and popular because they're hard to find.

(See tulip mania.)

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

I don’t know how common Beholders are in games.

But they ARE an iconic D&D monster, so much so that they are part of the official IP and no one else is allowed to use their likeness.

I don’t know if there is a single other creature so closely linked with D&D which is so very very difficult to find.

• Like 7