Jump to content

Beowulfthehunter

Unpainted Minis from Wizkids

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, haldir said:

More then meets the eye?

 

Were people asking for this? I love me some Transformers, but these... don't transform?

 

Is there a TF TTRPG of which I'm unaware?

Edited by Darsc Zacal
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would cheerfully buy Masters of the Universe characters in 28mm, but I have no idea what I'd do with Optimus Prime in the same scale. Or most other scales, really. Whose idea was THIS?

I'm envisioning some Hasbro executive who wanders through the D&D offices occasionally, saying, "Hey, neat miniatures! You know what would go GREAT with these? Something from a preestablished toy line! How about Transformers? Yeah, Transformers! Make it happen!"

 

Edited by Dr.Bedlam
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's probably how it happened.

 

Didn't they also announce those creepy ponies a while back?

 

 

MOTU stuff would be great. I'd army build Mer-Man for Sahuagin.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sanael said:

Were people asking for this? I love me some Transformers, but these... don't transform?

 

Is there a TF TTRPG of which I'm unaware?

Official? Not that I know of.

 

Unofficial? At least one -

63037.jpg

 

I used it for my old Steamcraft game - one of the PCs was a transforming steam shovel and his human companion.

 

The Auld Grump

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Sanael said:

Were people asking for this? I love me some Transformers, but these... don't transform?

 

Is there a TF TTRPG of which I'm unaware?

 

17 hours ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

I would cheerfully buy Masters of the Universe characters in 28mm, but I have no idea what I'd do with Optimus Prime in the same scale. Or most other scales, really. Whose idea was THIS?

I'm envisioning some Hasbro executive who wanders through the D&D offices occasionally, saying, "Hey, neat miniatures! You know what would go GREAT with these? Something from a preestablished toy line! How about Transformers? Yeah, Transformers! Make it happen!"

 

 

Pretty sure it was the same people that thought unpainted My Little Pony & the Star Trek (whatever their ship combat game is) Unpainted line will/would be a hit amongst painters. More or less trying to get fans of those line ups into painting figures. I have no problem with & I'll probably get em if they continue the classic 80s line up of Tfs (better not be any Bay-formers in there!!!) Definitely will be getting Soundwave if he ever comes out (my favorite Tfer). I mean there are Transformer Metal Earth models as well.

71dhJSSuzEL._SY355_.jpg

 

They are basically the same in they are the robot but in a static pose. These at least have a better dynamic pose to them. Besides they have those mass marketed metal "miniatures" (Nano Metallics) featuring popular characters from various lines in the toy aisle at your favorite 'mart with really bad paintjobs as well. So there is a market for miniatures that aren't D&D based figures.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

interesting, these show up and suddenly there is a giant transforming robot minis game on the front page of table top gaming news...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

interesting, these show up and suddenly there is a giant transforming robot minis game on the front page of table top gaming news...

 

Must be the new trend in gaming, as I'm seeing 2 or 3 bot games on the front page alone.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dunno. The only reason I can think of for buying a little model of Optimus Prime that I have to paint myself?

To annoy people when I play a game of Battletech.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

I dunno. The only reason I can think of for buying a little model of Optimus Prime that I have to paint myself?

To annoy people when I play a game of Battletech.

Starscream is not a terrible fit for the Valkyrie LAM

 

(I would have said phoenix hawk, but that's based on the same toy as his much larger boyfriend)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, PaganMegan said:

The beholder has gone UP in price on Amazon! ::o: $34 now.

 

WTAF?!

 

Even when it's NOT collectible, it's collectible.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do beholders really get used so much that there's a shortage? I can't remember having ever encountered one in a game.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

Do beholders really get used so much that there's a shortage? I can't remember having ever encountered one in a game.

 

Like dragons, they've always been more popular in concept than in actual play (IME). In the specific case of the Wizkids Beholder, they're hard to find because they're popular and popular because they're hard to find.

 

(See tulip mania.)

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

Do beholders really get used so much that there's a shortage? I can't remember having ever encountered one in a game.

 

I don’t know how common Beholders are in games.

 

But they ARE an iconic D&D monster, so much so that they are part of the official IP and no one else is allowed to use their likeness.

 

I don’t know if there is a single other creature so closely linked with D&D which is so very very difficult to find.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×