Jump to content

Beowulfthehunter

Unpainted Minis from Wizkids

Recommended Posts

Beholders were never all that hard to find in metal. I still have one for Chainmail that looks much like the Todd Lockwood concept art.

But when they went plastic, prepainted, and collectible, they were VERY hard to find; they were invariably the rares in a given set, and therefore much harder to get. The old blind box models still go for a pretty penny, with or without a stat card.

I would have THOUGHT that the new unpainted blister beholders would be plentiful. They aren't. I'm guessing they come in boxed assortments of figures, and are therefore shortpacked. Retailer either snatches 'em up before they go on the pegs, or they sell fast to the general public, and then retailer doesn't want to order any more until the Dwarf Barbarians and Rust Monsters sell down enough to justify buying another assortment to put on the pegs.

Hence, no beholders. Hence, more DEMAND for beholders. Hence, they get snatched up and sell for hefty markups on eBay. Same as the shortpacked Star Wars action figures, when there was such a thing as Toys R Us.

Hell, I don't even know why I wanted a beholder. I have beholders in metal and plastic, from literally every era of the D&D game, based on every illustration of beholders ever made. I have not-beholders from five separate companies, and two others that are licensed. I almost have enough beholders to make my own army of the dratted things.

....and still... there's that new one...

I'd like to think when I'm old and greyer than I am now that I can get eBay prices for all the stuff sitting around the hobby room....

Edited by Dr.Bedlam
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/31/2019 at 7:07 PM, haldir said:

More then meets the eye?

 

Deep Cuts: Optimus Prime

Transformers Deep Cuts Unpainted Miniatures: Optimus Prime
Publisher: WizKids
Item Code: WZK73953
MSRP: $4.99
Releases December 2019

Deep Cuts: Bumblebee

Transformers Deep Cuts Unpainted Miniatures: Bumblebee
Publisher: WizKids
Item Code: WZK73955
MSRP: $4.99
Releases December 2019

Deep Cuts: Megatron

Transformers Deep Cuts Unpainted Miniatures: Megatron
Publisher: WizKids
Item Code: WZK73957
MSRP: $4.99
Releases December 2019

Deep Cuts: Starscream

Transformers Deep Cuts Unpainted Miniatures: Starscream
Publisher: WizKids
Item Code: WZK73958
MSRP: $4.99
Releases December 2019

 

 

Oh My! PLEASE, PLEASE make a Soundwave, WizKids! I played a Warforged Bard for the whole D&D Next platyest. It was basically Soundwave refluffed a bit. Even had the thing that gave three servants/underlings. I had warforged that had the shapes of a cat, bird and halfling sized warforged. I eventually found out about Transformers Monopoly and found a single of the Soundwave playing piece from it. But I would love a real mini for that character!

 

GF

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Considering the price on those I'm going to wager they're going to be Size Large so not useful for a medium-sized PC.

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/31/2019 at 6:07 PM, haldir said:

More then meets the eye?

 

Deep Cuts: Optimus Prime

Transformers Deep Cuts Unpainted Miniatures: Optimus Prime
Publisher: WizKids
Item Code: WZK73953
MSRP: $4.99
Releases December 2019

Deep Cuts: Bumblebee

Transformers Deep Cuts Unpainted Miniatures: Bumblebee
Publisher: WizKids
Item Code: WZK73955
MSRP: $4.99
Releases December 2019

Deep Cuts: Megatron

Transformers Deep Cuts Unpainted Miniatures: Megatron
Publisher: WizKids
Item Code: WZK73957
MSRP: $4.99
Releases December 2019

Deep Cuts: Starscream

Transformers Deep Cuts Unpainted Miniatures: Starscream
Publisher: WizKids
Item Code: WZK73958
MSRP: $4.99
Releases December 2019

 

 

 

 

:angry:

 

Those are not “painted samples!”

 

Those are COLORED RENDERS.

 

I hate it when companies do that.

 

:angry:

  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As for the beholder, I wound up buying one because it seemed neat to paint.  It's still in its box...  It'll make it to my painting desk eventually... 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Pingo said:

 

 

:angry:

 

Those are not “painted samples!”

 

Those are COLORED RENDERS.

 

I hate it when companies do that.

 

:angry:

Me too. Coloured renders should be the term.

  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

 

Like dragons, they've always been more popular in concept than in actual play (IME). In the specific case of the Wizkids Beholder, they're hard to find because they're popular and popular because they're hard to find.

 

(See tulip mania.)

It is also a very nice looking miniature of the beastie - in my opinion the best beholder yet released.

 

The low retail and high resell value makes it very tempting for speculators.

 

At $5 retail, and $34 resell... that's a pretty sweet percentage.

 

The Auld Grump

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Picked up a big B late in the first wave. It was my first purchase in a FLGS that over in Nampa, Idaho. They had 2 in stock. A woman right behind me, grabbed the other one.  At the time that was my closest game store, so it was cool to start a customer to owner relationship.

 

I see minimarket shows the Spectator pack coming up as out of stock  (preorders). I'm curious if this is the beholder craze of this wave.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, BlazingTornado said:

Considering the price on those I'm going to wager they're going to be Size Large so not useful for a medium-sized PC.

 

But more or less workable for BattleTech...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not a big fan of the last few announcements. Transformers and Little Ponys aside, neither the Medieval Armory nor the Farm seem worth it. Especially compared to the first few smaller sets of terrain, $99 seems a lot for fences, huts, hay balls and animals that look like children's toys. A lot of that terrain also looks like it would print rather decently on even a cheap printer, so all the less reason to get it.

I hope they'll continue going through the 5E monsters soon, those I always like to buy.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Nunae said:

I'm not a big fan of the last few announcements. Transformers and Little Ponys aside, neither the Medieval Armory nor the Farm seem worth it. Especially compared to the first few smaller sets of terrain, $99 seems a lot for fences, huts, hay balls and animals that look like children's toys. A lot of that terrain also looks like it would print rather decently on even a cheap printer, so all the less reason to get it.

I hope they'll continue going through the 5E monsters soon, those I always like to buy.

 

Yah I'm not overly thrilled with those either, nor the pricing  (ouch!). Glad I have a 3d printer (when it's working of course). As you said easily can replicate almost all of that with it.

 

Thou I'm a sucker for goblin related Paizo stuff so I'll pick up the goblin village when it comes out. If anything for the statue as that is the golem from We be 3 adventure. (Probably Squeely Nord too....^_^)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, haldir said:

Yah I'm not overly thrilled with those either, nor the pricing  (ouch!). Glad I have a 3d printer (when it's working of course). As you said easily can replicate almost all of that with it.

 

Thou I'm a sucker for goblin related Paizo stuff so I'll pick up the goblin village when it comes out. If anything for the statue as that is the golem from We be 3 adventure. (Probably Squeely Nord too....^_^)

At least the goblin village set (and the villager set, which I own) have a few more interesting pieces that can't be as easily printed or even done with papercraft. Though I'd be fine with the more basic, simple pieces as well, but not to that price.

Maybe I'm being unfair and all the plastic involved makes the farm or the armory a good deal, but it still is a pricepoint that's too high for me to just go "eh, I might use that one day". I hope they'll continue with the single/two-per-pack figures soon, it's really nice to have more choice in the "affordable plastic miniatures for DnD" category.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm... my complaint about the 4D sets is only that they are pricey and prepainted.

 

If they sell unpainted versions... both of those complaints will go away. ::):

 

The Auld Grump

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, haldir said:

 

Yah I'm not overly thrilled with those either, nor the pricing  (ouch!). Glad I have a 3d printer (when it's working of course). As you said easily can replicate almost all of that with it.

 

Thou I'm a sucker for goblin related Paizo stuff so I'll pick up the goblin village when it comes out. If anything for the statue as that is the golem from We be 3 adventure. (Probably Squeely Nord too....^_^)

 

I can't get a goblin village as a boxed set from ERTL at a local feed store in the toy section.

An ordinary farm, on the other hand...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I want an unpainted version of that barracks.

On 8/4/2019 at 1:09 PM, Werkrobotwerk said:

Do beholders really get used so much that there's a shortage? I can't remember having ever encountered one in a game.

I have one as a major baddie in my Eberron game. Soon he WILL be back.

 

Grump has one as a police captain. Haven't played it yet, but it is fun listening to Grump practicing for the afterschool game. And watching him practicing. HAM! Somehow he manages to convey that it is yelling at people but has a heart of gold. :lol:

 

Oh! Grump's been invited back for this year!

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×