Beowulfthehunter

Unpainted Minis from Wizkids

16 hours ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

I can't get a goblin village as a boxed set from ERTL at a local feed store in the toy section.

An ordinary farm, on the other hand...

Right scale?

• Like 1

Wizkids posted what's all in the goblin village case premium set:

-Large Tent x1

-Small Tent x2

-Barricade x3

-Child Cage x1

-Bonfire x2

-Junk Statue x1

-Junk Pile x2

-Pickle Barrel x2

-Throne x1

-Chief Goblin x1

-Goblin Babies x1

-Palisade Gate x1

-Palisade Walls x3

-Pigpen Gate x1

-Pigpen Fence x4

-Magic Pig x1

I'm gonna see if my FLGS is gonna order a case or if he can get the premium set. I like what I see! Also the preview set:: Legendary Adventures preview set looks great as well.

Just search Wizkids site for Legendary Adventures for both sets.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

Right scale?

Close enough for horseshoes. I got a Western Town years ago before they started going for gold on eBay, and have used it in western skirmish. And their farms are close enough, although you have to leave out the modern field machinery and suchlike.

5 hours ago, haldir said:

Wizkids posted what's all in the goblin village case premium set:

-Large Tent x1

-Small Tent x2

-Barricade x3

-Child Cage x1

-Bonfire x2

-Junk Statue x1

-Junk Pile x2

-Pickle Barrel x2

-Throne x1

-Chief Goblin x1

-Goblin Babies x1

-Palisade Gate x1

-Palisade Walls x3

-Pigpen Gate x1

-Pigpen Fence x4

-Magic Pig x1

I'm gonna see if my FLGS is gonna order a case or if he can get the premium set. I like what I see! Also the preview set:: Legendary Adventures preview set looks great as well.

Just search Wizkids site for Legendary Adventures for both sets.

Now I kinda want one of those.

• Like 2

On 8/5/2019 at 7:14 PM, Dr.Bedlam said:

I can't get a goblin village as a boxed set from ERTL at a local feed store in the toy section.

ERTL still makes toys?!?!?!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

Close enough for horseshoes. I got a Western Town years ago before they started going for gold on eBay, and have used it in western skirmish. And their farms are close enough, although you have to leave out the modern field machinery and suchlike.

When we were playing Into the Sunset regularly, we used two copies of the western town plus some scratchbuilt terrain with (mostly) Foundry Old West figures. The scale seemed very close to right.

• Like 5

22 hours ago, BlazingTornado said:

ERTL still makes toys?!?!?!

ERTL, last I heard, still made a few toys, the likes of which are what you will find on the back wall of a feed store. Farm sets, rodeo sets, and toy trucks and farm machinery.

On 8/4/2019 at 1:32 PM, Dr.Bedlam said:

Beholders were never all that hard to find in metal. I still have one for Chainmail that looks much like the Todd Lockwood concept art.

But when they went plastic, prepainted, and collectible, they were VERY hard to find; they were invariably the rares in a given set, and therefore much harder to get. The old blind box models still go for a pretty penny, with or without a stat card.

I would have THOUGHT that the new unpainted blister beholders would be plentiful. They aren't. I'm guessing they come in boxed assortments of figures, and are therefore shortpacked. Retailer either snatches 'em up before they go on the pegs, or they sell fast to the general public, and then retailer doesn't want to order any more until the Dwarf Barbarians and Rust Monsters sell down enough to justify buying another assortment to put on the pegs.

Hence, no beholders. Hence, more DEMAND for beholders. Hence, they get snatched up and sell for hefty markups on eBay. Same as the shortpacked Star Wars action figures, when there was such a thing as Toys R Us.

Hell, I don't even know why I wanted a beholder. I have beholders in metal and plastic, from literally every era of the D&D game, based on every illustration of beholders ever made. I have not-beholders from five separate companies, and two others that are licensed. I almost have enough beholders to make my own army of the dratted things.

....and still... there's that new one...

I'd like to think when I'm old and greyer than I am now that I can get eBay prices for all the stuff sitting around the hobby room....

The first beholder that I ever painted was a Grenadier miniature, circa 1984 or so.

NM051.jpg

Mine had a completely different paint scheme, purples and yellows, mostly.

The Auld Grump

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Holy mailbag full of expletives batman, these things are a royal pain to clear the stock primer off of...  On the flipside, I'm seeing more details that weren't there before, which makes me wonder...  Just how much of a discount do they get on this primer stuff so they can practically dunk the mini in a bucket and call it primed? o_O

Three days, a whole bottle of Pine Sol, and they're on their third scrub... .Still not all of it off yet.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

Couldn't agree more WhiteWulfe. The primer goop is without a doubt my biggest gripe with these minis. I'm crazy about nearly ever other aspect of the unpainted Wizkids line. Many of the sculpts and poses are pretty bangin'. I just don't understand why they plaster on such thick primer. Not even sure how they get Vallejo primer to be that thick. Do they mix it with joint compound or something? As far as taking it off, I've seen at least two people recommend using ISO alcohol to remove the primer. Might be worth a shot. I can't vouch for it though.  :unsure:

• Like 3

Haven't tried removing the primer. Am certainly interested in working methods, though.

I really like that they're going back through D&D history and bringing back characters from old fluff, though. A mini I literally never dreamed I would see was the Nameless One from Planescape: Torment. Now if they'd just get to the characters from Dragonlance...

Forgotten_11ae68_6100329.jpg.03db70590fd37e7bbee29d090da7f325.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, CorallineAlgae said:

Couldn't agree more WhiteWulfe. The primer goop is without a doubt my biggest gripe with these minis. I'm crazy about nearly ever other aspect of the unpainted Wizkids line. Many of the sculpts and poses are pretty bangin'. I just don't understand why they plaster on such thick primer. Not even sure how they get Vallejo primer to be that thick. Do they mix it with joint compound or something? As far as taking it off, I've seen at least two people recommend using ISO alcohol to remove the primer. Might be worth a shot. I can't vouch for it though.  :unsure:

It's slowly coming off, it's just taking time to do such.  On the plus side, hubby's happier because his white dragon has noticeably more detail.  I'm happy because there's more detail in the Beholder too.  I just wish it wasn't taking so long to pull off o_O

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

It's slowly coming off, it's just taking time to do such.  On the plus side, hubby's happier because his white dragon has noticeably more detail.  I'm happy because there's more detail in the Beholder too.  I just wish it wasn't taking so long to pull off o_O

Get this, after reading that your beholder is showing more detail I decided to give IOS alcohol a shot. I grabbed a coffee mug that I don't drink out of (used to be a paint rinse cup), plopped a beholder in there and filled it with 91% ISO. Went to the kitchen to get a zip top bag to put the mug in. Before I threw the mug in the bag I decided to pull off the removable eye stalks. When I did, primer was all over my fingers. Seriously, the beholder was in the alcohol for less than one minute and the primer was getting it's clock cleaned! ::o:

That was just a couple minutes ago. I don't know if I should start scrubbing now, or give it an hour or so. I was preparing for an overnight soak but... 

• Like 5

Remember too, the color of the plastic is about the same shade as the primer. It might be tad bit lighter.

Scrary but the sad truth, game store over in Boise today (All about Games) now has a full wall of Unpainted figures, including the big sets. What had to go was the Reaper miniatures. Those are now in a small box about waist high now.

• Sad 6

11 minutes ago, haldir said:

Remember too, the color of the plastic is about the same shade as the primer. It might be tad bit lighter.

Scrary but the sad truth, game store over in Boise today (All about Games) now has a full wall of Unpainted figures, including the big sets. What had to go was the Reaper miniatures. Those are now in a small box about waist high now.

This will be an unpopular thing to say on this forum, but I think Reaper waited at least two years too long to upgrade the Bones material & color. Bones fans pleaded for a firmer material since Bones 1. Year after year of floppy swords, slouching dragons and unseeable details (even on nicely detailed Bones minis) took a toll on the line's reputation. Now, instead of Reaper leading the way with higher quality PVC minis, they are playing catch-up against WizKidz. It may be too late for Reaper to stay on shelves in a lot of stores. If Reaper had made the move during Bones 3, like they claimed they would, things might be different over at All About Games.

Honestly, it seems like while Reaper was dismissing their customers pleadings for improvements, WizKids read all the criticism people had about Bones minis and tried to address every complaint they could before rolling out their unpainted line. Firmer material (but not brittle), better packaging, spell effects, uncolored clear plastic, clearly visible details, no drooping dragons... Their primer is my only real complaint, and I'd guess that it was WizKids answer to the Bones 'hydrophobic' and 'bad primer reaction' issues. It's poorly executed, but a commendable effort. 

Now the question is, will WizKids address their own drawback and start using a reformulated primer? 

That said, I'm currently painting a Bones 4 mini and loving it. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I like reaper bones better for a few reasons:

- variety. There are a lot more variation in mooks than you can get with wizkids

- conversion. Can get even more variety by weapon swapping or head swapping, etc

- price. At least for the dragons, I can get big interesting reaper dragons. So far the wizkids dragons have not impressed me at all. 

Wizkid is nice for player character minis where you want finer details, and for some liscensed monsters reaper isn't allowed to make themselves like the beholder , but over all I still prefer reaper 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1