Sign in to follow this  
Beowulfthehunter

Unpainted Minis from Wizkids

13 hours ago, BlazingTornado said:

I'm not recognizing the minis they're using with the tiles. Are they even Wizkids ones?

Wardlings line.

It's the kids as adventures. They come with a critter companion. Something along the lines as a kid you have a imagination (ie power) & as you get older, you start to forget & you lose your ability to be a adventurer. I finally seen them in person when I was over in Eugene last week. They aren't bad prepaints. They are about the same as the new prepainted Nolzur's line.

13 hours ago, Darsc Zacal said:

I hate to admit it, but these look intriguing.

I like the low walls, and the fact you can prebuilt the rooms for a faster setup, or just to pull out for reveals as the party explores.

I like them as well even with me having a 3d printer & the files for both Dragon & Open Lock systems. Which brings up the expansion clip that'll connect to both systems is a double win for me. I'll probably order the starter set for sure. Being in May I'll have birthday cash to spend on em if I want. 

• Like 2

On 9/17/2019 at 10:04 PM, PaganMegan said:

No stirges yet?

I was going to run the Waterdeep Dragon Heist and it has a weakened troll with 4 stirges.

I bought the Reaper packs.

On 9/20/2019 at 10:14 AM, Dr.Bedlam said:

The fact that I cannot get a six pack of unpainted stirges is proof to me that the suits, not the gamers, are in charge of what's being produced. Because the suits would put beholders and Drizz't well ahead of stirges. It'd never occur to them that a working DM would cheerfully buy three or four packs of the things.

Further reinforcing that belief is the fact that I can buy a hardback adventure book... I can buy a Map And Handout Pack that goes with that adventure book... I can buy a Special Dice Set that goes with that adventure book.... and in some of the newer cases, I can buy a full sized pirate ship and a sort of Mad Max Hell Car Vehicle, even.... (for hundreds of dollars each!)

...but for some reason, I have to go out and buy all the minis separate, if I can find them, and if they actually MAKE the dratted beasts. The stirges are available on the secondary market -- the collectible prepaints have several variants -- but where the hell are the damn blistered, unpainted  STIRGES?

EDIT: It occurs to me that I had this same durn problem with Umber Hulks a while back.

One of the nastier bounty board adventures I'm writing has a well that drops into an old flooded cellar, with about a dozen roosting stirges, some diseased.

What the PCs don't know is that there is something else down there too.

A vampire that is trapped down there, and is eating stirges that have fed on people. Weak vampire, low level witch that was dumped down the well. Less dangerous, maybe, than the stirges she eats. Spawn template, no master.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Stirges are HANDY, durnit. ANY level of party is threatened by stirges; the difference is that at first level, they're life and death, and at seventh level, they're nuisance critters.

And throwing a vampire down there on top of stirges is downright evil, Megan. ::D:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

One of the nastier bounty board adventures I'm writing has a well that drops into an old flooded cellar, with about a dozen roosting stirges, some diseased.

What the PCs don't know is that there is something else down there too.

A vampire that is trapped down there, and is eating stirges that have fed on people. Weak vampire, low level witch that was dumped down the well. Less dangerous, maybe, than the stirges she eats. Spawn template, no master.

I would not want to drink that water! Stirge guano and a water bloated living corpse? :zombie:

The Auld Grump

• Like 3

I am hoping with the next big book being Eberron we see some related types in the Nolzur's line.  It's been a long time since we got any official Warforged minis.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 9/10/2019 at 8:26 AM, Rob Dean said:

I guess we could lobby with IWM a bit. I regret somewhat that I didn’t start a big Arthurian project...

We could always check. Sometimes it takes them a while to get to things. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

Stirges are HANDY, durnit. ANY level of party is threatened by stirges; the difference is that at first level, they're life and death, and at seventh level, they're nuisance critters.

And throwing a vampire down there on top of stirges is downright evil, Megan. ::D:

Spoilerizing a bit of off topic game stuff.

Aimed at 3, using levels as triggers for notices on the board, low level notices being removed, or left as flavor pieces, higher ones being added.

The other trigger is finishing a mission will sometimes trigger another notice.

So the rats in the cellar triggers the wererats notice.

And a rat rakshasa. Ratshasa? The wererats are infiltrating, but don't know they have been infiltrated. Vermina is the mini for her.

A POSH thieves's guild. Stealing more, at less risk, with members in the merchants's guild, the banking families, and the city treasury.

Stealing that from Grump's fantasy cops game, the cover is a club.

NO scruples, and PCs that learn certain things being disposable assets. The rakshasa will fit right in, once she is part of the wealthy rogues, the wererats are likewise disposable assets.

The wererats are the least of the evils. :devil:

The Wizkids rat swarm is a pita to prep, but looks good when done. Bones rats and barrow rats, but I wish Wizkids would add some too.

I miss the accelerated release schedule Wizkids had for a while, so many core low level monsters still needed. Wererats in hybrid and human guise, but the same armor and weapons would be nice.

9 hours ago, Lidless Eye said:

I am hoping with the next big book being Eberron we see some related types in the Nolzur's line.  It's been a long time since we got any official Warforged minis.

Preach it!

• Like 5

20 hours ago, Lidless Eye said:

With Warforged mania taking over my tables at the FLGS, I could go for some unpainted Warforged. A 14 year old kid is one of my WF players & he wa going to use a generic mini for his character til I showed him the Bones Battleguard mini & he was like "I'm using this one!!" ::D:

5 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

Does anyone know how sales of unpainted vs prepainted Wizkids is doing?

I would assume quite well. I know the minis sell well at my local shop & over in the FLGS in the other towns in the area, the owners have said sales have been well too.

• Like 2

I kind of suspect that they are outselling the prepainted minis by a healthy margin - but not enough to either ditch the prepainted lines completely or do unpainted versions of all the Pathfinder and D&D prepainted lines - much as I might wish for this to be the case.

The Auld Grump

• Like 1

17 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

Does anyone know how sales of unpainted vs prepainted Wizkids is doing?

Anecdotally, the local retail joints seem to be expanding their unpainted selections and cutting back on the blind boxes.

Locally.

If that means anything.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

I kind of suspect that they are outselling the prepainted minis by a healthy margin - but not enough to either ditch the prepainted lines completely or do unpainted versions of all the Pathfinder and D&D prepainted lines - much as I might wish for this to be the case.

The Auld Grump

As a DM for 3 games (well 2 but 1 night is a bi-weekly game) a week, I'm all for prepainted figures. I see nothing wrong with them. Heck it's beats not having anything. I did this with a adventure that the main enemies were oddballs & there wasn't any minis out there for them, so I used blank Reaper bases. While minis are just tokens on a board & are a luxury, I absolutely hated it. The adventure went longer then I thought so the last 2 sessions I found suitable minis for the rest of the adventure. It made that game feel better overall.

• Like 4

I am more against the blind packaging than the prepainting, to be honest - I can always paint over the existing paint jobs if I feel the need.

Unpainted plastics are a much better choice, for me at least.

And... some of the last prepainted WotC D&D minis were really, really, really bad.

The Auld Grump - chicken and potatoes in the oven.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1