Beowulfthehunter

Unpainted Minis from Wizkids

WK also releasing unpainted Marvel sculpts from their HeroClix line, including stat cards. Twice the price of their generic fantasy, but I'd expect so with licensing fees and additional content (HC game card and dial).

https://www.beastsofwar.com/news/wizkids-produce-unpainted-marvel-heroclix-figures/

WK Warlock dungeon game tiles, compatible with OpenLock, will also be released soon. Not everyone will like the half-walls, but note the "inside walls" designed to be inserted between their tiles. 

https://icv2.com/articles/news/view/44072/first-wizkids-warlock-tile-sets

1500x1500_92f4bb975f5904d97d86435132edb1

Edited by ced1106

11 minutes ago, SamuraiJack said:

I wish Reaper would do some pieces like the shadow mastiff.. some parts in translucent, some in opaque.. 

In at least some cases, the "opaque" is just paint. They mask off what they want to be translucent before priming.

On the Heroclix unpainted, this is a smart move and should be popular. You pay $12-18 dollars for blind boosters, this way you can get exact figures you want.

Hi all. Sorry to pepper you with so many questions but I’m new to Nolzur’s and this thread is a bit too long to find quick answers in. 

1. I notice that, at the beginning of the thread, a few people complained about the (apparent) poor quality/detail of the sculpts, particularly for the PCs/NPCs. Was there a particular wave where the quality improved? If so, which one? (In other words; if I buy early wave figures, am I going to be disappointed?)

2. A lot of people have mentioned/complained about the mold lines and therefore the risk of buying these figures sight unseen (i.e. online). Is that still an issue?

3. Can these figures take any paint? In particular, the Reaper Master Series Paints?

4. Lastly, is there a checklist of all of the WizKids unpainted miniatures and sets anywhere? I’ve tried using the official website but it feels incomplete (or else I’m just not navigating it properly).

Thanks for any help. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kalibak said:

1. I notice that, at the beginning of the thread, a few people complained about the (apparent) poor quality/detail of the sculpts, particularly for the PCs/NPCs. Was there a particular wave where the quality improved? If so, which one? (In other words; if I buy early wave figures, am I going to be disappointed?)

My experience hasn't been so much poor quality of sculpts as highly varied quality. My perception is that this has not changed much. I would recommend buying only figures that you've seen in person unpainted. But there are some very nice figures from early on and some weak figures in later waves.

2. A lot of people have mentioned/complained about the mold lines and therefore the risk of buying these figures sight unseen (i.e. online). Is that still an issue?

Mold lines are definitely still a problem. I understand that putting primer on the minis at the factory helps to sell them, but it also makes mold-line removal just a bit more annoying. This is a problem that is fixable in prep, but it really does help to buy minis that you've seen in person.

3. Can these figures take any paint? In particular, the Reaper Master Series Paints?

Yes. I've used RMS paint on WizKids figures without any issues. Same with other brands of acrylic paint.

4. Lastly, is there a checklist of all of the WizKids unpainted miniatures and sets anywhere? I’ve tried using the official website but it feels incomplete (or else I’m just not navigating it properly).

Can't help with that, sorry.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

and now there's a pile of mutant frogs

https://icv2.com/articles/news/view/44520/forest-dwellers-other-fauna-figures-for-dungeons-dragons-nolzurs-marvelous-miniatures

Nice to see the other slaad colors come to life in that line. (not that've come across any AL adventure involving them....yet)

Also good to see a Arakocra in the unpainted line, even thou they are pretty much banned from AL play. :upside:

I do find the Balor a bit odd. 14.99 for this one but a Pit Fiend in the Path-DC lineup comes out this month. I think it's 4.99........:rock:

March is definitely gonna be a spendy month for me, next year.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BlazingTornado said:

I hate how 5E gave harpies and aarakocra arms and wings.

Blame 1st ed:

896500_sm-1981,%20Copyright%20Tsr,%20Dun

5e, did take away their original attack method & that was a footbow. I prefer the earlier look thou.

• Like 1