Unpainted Minis from Wizkids

While looking at the distro site for my local card shop I came across a bunch of pre-orders for both lines.

These will release mostly in June & August with 1 exception the dwarf female wizards, this month.

Terrain under Paizo name??:

Pillars (not very exciting looking), keg barrel (why?), treasure piles

D&D line:

dwarf female fighter, dwarf female paladin,  dwarf female wizard, dwarf male cleric, elf female wizard, elf male wizard, human female druid, human male druid, human male paladin, wraith & specter & a minotaur. 

Paizo:

Bugbears, using existing sculpts (unispiring one that is prepainted orange) & a fighter type, male elf paladin, evil wizards (one is the crazy gnome wizard from the pre-painted line), gnolls (using existing sculpts), , "the missing" male half-orc barbarian, & serving girl & bartender (I guess to tend the keg barrel. Also using existing sculpts).

Also Star Trek ships!! 

• Like 5
  • Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Already primed sounds great until you realize it means "dipped in primer straight off the production line, flash, mold lines, and assembly errors included at no extra charge".  There's also no price r

Hey there, Justin from WizKids, just popping in to clarify a few things.   1:  The reason a company releases a line as a collectible has more to do with the tooling model, cost per mini and

I picked up a copy of the Nozur's Treant last month. It's pretty big. The level of detail, as with all their models, is mushier in real life than in the computer renders they show in the ads, but as w

Posted Images

Yeah, pre-orders for additional minis started really early, I also already found the female druid and a male elf caster. 

I'm a bit sad they prioritize player characters so heavily over monsters. 

And really, more bugbears? o.O We already have bugbears from them ^^

But maybe they're just surprised by the success and are now scrambling to get more out there, even if it means using old sculpts from the prepainted lines.

Edit: also, is it just me or does the human male druid look very weird proportionwise in one of his sculpts? almost like a dwarf.

Edited by Nunae
  • Like 1
10 hours ago, haldir said:

While looking at the distro site for my local card shop I came across a bunch of pre-orders for both lines.

D&D line:

dwarf female fighter, dwarf female paladin,  dwarf female wizard, dwarf male cleric, elf female wizard, elf male wizard, human female druid, human male druid, human male paladin, wraith & specter & a minotaur. 

Paizo:

Bugbears, using existing sculpts (unispiring one that is prepainted orange) & a fighter type, male elf paladin, evil wizards (one is the crazy gnome wizard from the pre-painted line), gnolls (using existing sculpts), , "the missing" male half-orc barbarian, & serving girl & bartender (I guess to tend the keg barrel. Also using existing sculpts).

It just struck me that those names are pretty generic. Just like Reaper use to have generic names in the early days until it became silly to describe any male mini with a weapon in hand as "male human fighter".

[Remembers ordering a Bones Sir Forscale (i.e. Sir Garrick the Bold) on another website, only to accidentally find him listed under male fighter.]

Now each miniature of a potential PC has a full name that almost invokes a backstory.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 1

Regarding primers.  I don't have any of these yet, but everything I've seen suggests that they're very similar to the stuff WizKids have released in the past, which means that they're some sort of polystyrene or ABS plastic, not PVC (Bonesium.)  

If so, almost any primer will work on them without the Bones tackiness issues*.  I've used other primers on their stuff before, primers that do cause Bones to go tacky, and had no issues.   The tackiness is caused by chemical reactions.  Change the chemicals, change the reactions.

*This is an educated guess, not a claim.  Do your due diligence and test.

• Like 2

I agree about preorders; I'm more likely to buy critters than I am to buy characters, unless the sculpt is particularly interesting. But again, I am not sure I'm the intended market.

On 4/4/2017 at 4:36 AM, Nunae said:

Yeah, pre-orders for additional minis started really early, I also already found the female druid and a male elf caster. 

I'm a bit sad they prioritize player characters so heavily over monsters. 

And really, more bugbears? o.O We already have bugbears from them ^^

But maybe they're just surprised by the success and are now scrambling to get more out there, even if it means using old sculpts from the prepainted lines.

Edit: also, is it just me or does the human male druid look very weird proportionwise in one of his sculpts? almost like a dwarf.

In terms of scrambling due to success.  We had a very good idea of what we were getting into and tooled far ahead of our releases.  While the line is very PC focused right now, you'll see it migrate over time.

Hope this helps.

1 hour ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

I agree about preorders; I'm more likely to buy critters than I am to buy characters, unless the sculpt is particularly interesting. But again, I am not sure I'm the intended market.

Our intent wasn't to sell more minis to Reaper fans.  Our intent is simply supply figures to the market where there are none and hopefully introduce a new group of RPG gamers to the hobby of painting figures.

• Like 15
29 minutes ago, jziran said:

In terms of scrambling due to success.  We had a very good idea of what we were getting into and tooled far ahead of our releases.  While the line is very PC focused right now, you'll see it migrate over time.

Hope this helps.

Our intent wasn't to sell more minis to Reaper fans.  Our intent is simply supply figures to the market where there are none and hopefully introduce a new group of RPG gamers to the hobby of painting figures.

It's pretty awesome to have you come talk to us about your minis, Justin! Thanks for stopping by!

A number of my friends are big fans of your prepaints, particularly the Paizo ones. (I have picked up a few myself.) I've been slowly corrupting some of them into painting their own--mostly Bones, when they're not spray-priming them with primers that make them go all sticky--and I'll be interested to see what they think.

The fewer, but deeper, details I've seen on my purchases so far would definitely seem to be a good fit for a more general audience than many of the regulars you'd find here.

When I was talking to some of my friends in gaming retail, they also brought up--unprompted--the likelihood of you guys not being able to keep up with demand. I didn't dig in too deeply on that line of inquiry but if you're able to maintain production, it could change some hearts and minds in retail I bet.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, jziran said:

Hey there, Justin from WizKids, just popping in to clarify a few things.

1:  The reason a company releases a line as a collectible has more to do with the tooling model, cost per mini and SKU management issue.  Any hand work on minis costs a lot of money and there a various strategies to make those costs (and the SRP) customer friendly.  some companies go down the collectible route, some go visible, some do both.

2:  We license from our licensor and the unpainted line with licenses from Wizards, Paizo and CBS are very much the same as any other licensed property.  In the end, profits go to the licensee and the licensor gets royalty.  

3:  Even though many think WizKids is a 'large' company due to our large licensing footprint.  We're actually very small.   14 of us sit in a small room and work on some very big brands.  I work very hard trying to make the company approachable - sometimes that works, sometime it doesn't.   I am very open with sharing my email address [email protected], my cell phone 425-246-2809 and Facebook Justin Ziran.   I do my best to answer transparently provided I have the time and ability to do so - some things I can't talk about due to contractual/licensor restrictions.

Hope this clarifies things.

-Justin

P.S.  That is my personal cell phone, despite a Seattle number, I reside on the east coast.  Please try to respect resting hours from 8pm EST to 7am EST.

We sculpt to actual proportions of the source material.  While we have a little liberty in making things bigger, we only do so when sculpting them at actual size might make them disappear in tooling.

It's always great to see someone from the company in question show up to explain things and address concerns in a professional manner.

• Like 10
3 hours ago, terminalmancer said:

It's pretty awesome to have you come talk to us about your minis, Justin! Thanks for stopping by!

A number of my friends are big fans of your prepaints, particularly the Paizo ones. (I have picked up a few myself.) I've been slowly corrupting some of them into painting their own--mostly Bones, when they're not spray-priming them with primers that make them go all sticky--and I'll be interested to see what they think.

The fewer, but deeper, details I've seen on my purchases so far would definitely seem to be a good fit for a more general audience than many of the regulars you'd find here.

When I was talking to some of my friends in gaming retail, they also brought up--unprompted--the likelihood of you guys not being able to keep up with demand. I didn't dig in too deeply on that line of inquiry but if you're able to maintain production, it could change some hearts and minds in retail I bet.

Thanks.  In terms of capacity we have plenty of capacity to meet demand, the more important question is are retailers able to tell distributors how many they need of each figure and can that info make it up to me.   

Just for perspective  the entire volume of the 52 figure unpainted line is 1/6 of the volume we do on one HeroClix release and 1/5 of what we do on a prepaint RPG line.  The question isn't capacity it is more an issue with demand forecasting.  On launch we printed 5x pre order demand at the time of ordering.  That looks about right as some distributors are just running out now with many others having plenty of inventory.  We ordered a reprint before launch based on a good amount of last minute demand turning up.  The reprint will be here in late May.

Capcity is there, demand forecast on 52 SKUs is challenging for all tiers FLGS, distribution and publishing.

-justin

Edited by jziran
  • Like 11

I bought a couple blisters (we all knew I would) and I can say that the mold lines we no trouble at all to remove. There was a little under fill on the extreme edge of one cloak and a few spots that where the sculpt was muddled by the mold lines, but overall I like them. And I have to say it's good to see equal or nearly so female to male ratios in the PC models at least. Maybe not so much with the monsters, but for some it is hard to make out the gender anyway... .

• Like 6

Hey jziran, 

thanks for answering.

I was just very surprised to hear how quickly those minis sold out in some places.

I really appreciate more affordable minis being on the market, given that I am a relatively new DM and really new in this miniature painting hobby. And I hope this success will assure we get to see more unpainted miniatures from you guys in the future.

One thing that puzzles me though (not just with the new Wizkids line or directed at any single person) is how PC and NPC miniatures seem to sell that much better than monsters. Yes, we did buy our PC minis first as well, but by now none of the players (besides the druid who loves new animals) had any need for more minis since starting the campaign, and, if they don't die, they won't need any more minis for a year or so to come.

As the DM, I started out with a few, versatile minis as well (and used paper/plastic stand ins for the rest), but I'm now starting to buy more monsters each month. 

So in the end, I will have bought way more minis than all my players combined, and most of them will be creatures. And bc I buy multiple ones, I will try to find the ones I need as bones or now Wizkids first, since it makes a huge difference to me, while it isn't such a big deal for the players to spend the money for a metal mini they really like once.

Idk, PC minis seem to sell well, or else they wouldn't be released in such numbers for every new line, so our groups buying patterns seem to be different from the norm.

• Like 1

Miniatures that represent PCs can just as easily be used to represent NPCs. And I'm pretty sure I'm not the only GM - or miniature painter - with a bad case of ooh! SHiNY! that hits at random.

This prompts many things to fall into my shopping carts. *sage nod*

• Like 7