Unpainted Minis from Wizkids

On 8/21/2020 at 11:35 AM, StarFyre said:

Small favour...does anyone here have the nolzur's unpainted storm giant from wizkids? the wave 12 one? if so, would someone be able to measure it from bottom of foot to top of head and then also top of the fin on helmet? (Ie. Without the base) ?

regards,

sanjay

Hes almost 5 1/2 to 6 inches tall or close to 15cm

1598128561025625932740643672530.jpg

• Like 7
  • Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hey there, Justin from WizKids, just popping in to clarify a few things.   1:  The reason a company releases a line as a collectible has more to do with the tooling model, cost per mini and

Already primed sounds great until you realize it means "dipped in primer straight off the production line, flash, mold lines, and assembly errors included at no extra charge".  There's also no price r

I picked up a copy of the Nozur's Treant last month. It's pretty big. The level of detail, as with all their models, is mushier in real life than in the computer renders they show in the ads, but as w

Posted Images

...at that point I feel I can save money by just getting some cheap fantasy figurines of a larger scale and using them as giants.

That sounds oversized, too. Like if you take the average modern mini as being 6' tall, would a 26' tall creature really reach that high?

• Like 4
1 minute ago, BlazingTornado said:

...at that point I feel I can save money by just getting some cheap fantasy figurines of a larger scale and using them as giants.

That sounds oversized, too. Like if you take the average modern mini as being 6' tall, would a 26' tall creature really reach that high?

Most of the Giant minis have been oversized since WizKids took over the line.  The Stone Giant and Frost Giant from the first pre-paint set were a bit smaller and more properly scaled, but once the Storm King's Thunder pre-paint set hit they all got sized up like crazy.  This guy is actually from the SKT board game, where they were scaled down, then got released as a pre-paint in "Monster Menagerie III" as he got skipped in SKT's pre-paint set.

• Like 3
51 minutes ago, PaganMegan said:

I think giants got bigger in 5e.

Their hill giant is 'uge.

Correct. I think there was a discussion on giant size vs edition somewhere on the board.

Storm giants are the biggest of the 5 "true" giants. I don't mind him being this big.

• Like 4

This is still excessive. They are "Huge" so their "offensive space" should be only about 15ft wide.

Between their bodies and that comical sword these guys do not have a 10ft-long melee reach. This is a 30ft melee reach.

I've had this issue with other Wizkids giants. Their Ettin from the Elemental Evil set is ginormous and would definitely not be limited to a mere 5ft melee reach with its weapons.

GiantsSize.thumb.JPG.cafefa08c2ed790af46c0a0a53caccdc.JPG

2 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

I think giants got bigger in 5e.

Their hill giant is 'uge.

Yes, and my reference to them as being 26' tall refers specifically to their size in 5E.

I know AD&D referred to them as being 21' tall, then 2nd edition scaled em up, then 3rd scaled em back down, and now 5E is scaling em back up.

It still looks way taller than 26', comparatively.

Edited by BlazingTornado
  • Like 4

Yeah, there was even some weirdness with the first few 5E Giants being on Large bases despite being a Huge monster now, and the height of said sculpts was well into Huge.  The WizKids line had several issues with base sizes like that early on...and then some with "Storm King's Thunder" where Medium adventurers were on Small bases.

• Like 3
10 hours ago, BlazingTornado said:

Like if you take the average modern mini as being 6' tall, would a 26' tall creature really reach that high?

On the WizKid ground scale an M size creature that represents a 6 foot tall creature should measure 30mm bottom of heel to top of head. 

image.png.0aaa72f46c2f63adc0799e1705c0a5f2.png

On the WizKid ground scale that ^ Giant is right at 26 feet Tall. The ruler shows 5 inches. Each inch represents 5 feet. The top of the model’s head is a bit past the five inch mark so the giant in @haldir ‘s picture is right at a 26 foot tall creature. 

26 feet should be 5 inches plus another 5mm. 

I do not understand the problem.

• Like 5
6 hours ago, BlazingTornado said:

Between their bodies and that comical sword these guys do not have a 10ft-long melee reach. This is a 30ft melee reach.

Agreed that the Giant Haldir made a picture of could reach (melee with)  something 6 grid squares away. 

Although....  the something would need to be a dragon or another giant. Things down on the floor, below the giant’s knee level, he would need to get closer or let them close in. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

I think Wizkids gets thrown by the difference between Huge "tall" and Huge "long".

I love their dragons and giants, but their scales are weird.

Maybe because digital sculpting?

I think it's more like people are used to big things being out of scale due to hand sculpting and metal costs. That storm giant maths out to pretty close to exactly 26' scaled. With a digital sculpt Wizkids could very well have sized it after the sculpt was done to make sure the scale matched the number in the book that closely. 

• Like 3
On 8/22/2020 at 4:33 PM, haldir said:

Hes almost 5 1/2 to 6 inches tall or close to 15cm

1598128561025625932740643672530.jpg

thanks. wanted to make sure he's in scale with the GF9 Collector Series Storm giant. He is. (both being official lines of D&D models).  Sad that the reaper bones one in KS 5 is quite a bit shorter cause he looks so cool, but oh well. still looks cool.

I need to get the nolzur's one.  I hope they do a titan soon (sadly, none in wave 13).

Sanjay

• Like 3
On 8/23/2020 at 1:39 AM, BlazingTornado said:

This is still excessive. They are "Huge" so their "offensive space" should be only about 15ft wide.

I've had this issue with other Wizkids giants. Their Ettin from the Elemental Evil set is ginormous and would definitely not be limited to a mere 5ft melee reach with its weapons.

GiantsSize.thumb.JPG.cafefa08c2ed790af46c0a0a53caccdc.JPG

Yes, and my reference to them as being 26' tall refers specifically to their size in 5E.

I know AD&D referred to them as being 21' tall, then 2nd edition scaled em up, then 3rd scaled em back down, and now 5E is scaling em back up.

It still looks way taller than 26', comparatively.

The Nolzur's ettin is way more in scale then that one. The first ogre that came from wizkids in the first 5e set was huge too, but was on a large base.

So I was browsin Minimarket this morning at work & I came across the wave release. There was a bunch of figures my shop didn't have. I'm not sure if was due to space or they didn't order, etc etc. I think had I seen the missing ones, I may not have picked up the giant, ha ha. Oh, well my shop is running a sale for anv weekend, so I'll probably pick up more that weekend.

• Like 3

Lots of cool monsters in this wave (which will probably be available in the store I pre-order through in a few months, at least we're just 1 wave behind atm) and the next one. I like that they're going with less common monsters/creatures now, like the Flumphs,  specific (Volo?) trolls or Bodaks. 

• Like 4
2 hours ago, haldir said:

The Nolzur's ettin is way more in scale then that one. The first ogre that came from wizkids in the first 5e set was huge too, but was on a large base.

So I was browsin Minimarket this morning at work & I came across the wave release. There was a bunch of figures my shop didn't have. I'm not sure if was due to space or they didn't order, etc etc. I think had I seen the missing ones, I may not have picked up the giant, ha ha. Oh, well my shop is running a sale for anv weekend, so I'll probably pick up more that weekend.

Yeah, the Elemental Evil Ogre was nuts.  I think a lot of the artists weren't used to digital scaling then, I got into a fight on Facebook with one about the early Nolzur's releases being crazy scaled too.  "We had to base it off what the client's description said!"  "Tieflings aren't 8 feet tall in the book!"

Total side note:  I'm really surprised Deep Cuts hasn't had the iconic four from "We Be Goblins" yet

Edited by Lidless Eye
  • Like 5