Sign in to follow this  
Beowulfthehunter

Unpainted Minis from Wizkids

1 minute ago, cmorse said:

I've heard Rustoleum Universal Dead Flat might actually be rebranded Dullcoat.

It could be as it's the same company.

(btw that post was suppose to be under the Questionnaire posting.........)

• Like 2

For anyone interested in stripping the thick layers of primer off these, I finally looked at some minis I had soaking today (what was going to be a well-executed experiment turned into a half-assed one, so scientific method goes by the wayside on this).

Six months ago I put two minis each (straight from the package) into equal volumes of Castrol Superclean, Simple Green, and LA's Totally Awesome Cleaner. While I meant to observe them regularly at intervals to see how long it took each one to loosen the primer (and the superglue), note if scrubbing was needed and etc, that was right around the time the world kind of went to hell and I got sidetracked (and also why I had no isopropyl alcohol to try, as that has been hard to find in my area). So today I finally looked in on them.

Rather than be long-winded, here's the summary:

• Simple Green didn't show any visible signs. A bit of scrubbing showed a bit of wear, but maybe with an electric toothbrush more might have come off (my cleaning electric toothbrush needs a new battery)
  • Superclean did better, showed more wear, but only after more scrubbing. And really yellowed the grey primer. Didn't weaken any superglue bonds.
  • LA's Totally Awesome did the best. First figure I pulled out already had some of the primer sliding off. A bit of scrubbing took more off, and a superglued arm fell right off. Not 100% effective, but performed the best for me.

So, there's my experience. Bit surprised the Superclean isn't working better, especially after six months of soaking. It's been my go-to for years, but I'm impressed with the LA's Totally Awesome. Calls for further testing (with more diligent observation). Simple Green has never really worked for me. Tomorrow I'll get a fresh battery into the electric toothbrush and see if I can get some more primer off.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Goobertown Hobbies YouTube channel did a long duration test of several solvents for stripping paint & primer off of mini’s. I think he tested your three options, plus three or four others. 

LA’s totally awesome and I think Superclean (maybe?) did the best overall. 

I’ll go hunt down the video and link it. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OqBjt1wKZfc

• Like 4

12 hours ago, ksbsnowowl said:

Goobertown Hobbies YouTube channel did a long duration test of several solvents for stripping paint & primer off of mini’s. I think he tested your three options, plus three or four others. 

I've seen his video before, it was how I learned about Totally Awesome. However, my experiment differed from his because I was looking solely at getting rid of Vallejo Surface Primer because of the way Wizkids seems to glob it on; I've had serious problems getting it to come off. His experiment looked at a wider variety of paints and primers, but he didn't use VSP to prime any of them.

I enjoy Goobertown, a fellow chemist, but I needed a more targeted experiment... which ended up botched anyways because I let it sit so long.

EDIT: As I'm rewatching his video, I'm also noticing that Goobertown didn't specify how long he let the paint he tested cure before he began his tests. Paint and primer that has only been on a figure for a few days is much easier to strip off than if it has been on the figure for weeks to months. I'm fairly sure that Wizkids has everything manufactured overseas, so once you factor in shipping time by cargo boat, and then blisters sitting on retail shelves... you have to deal with VSP that has been on there for awhile at full cure. Ain't it fun considering all the factors needed for experimentation?

Edited by ManvsMini
  • Like 3

A thirty minute soak in Krud Kutter graffiti remover will remove the primer from Wizkids minis. Just run it under hot water and scrub with a soft toothbrush.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

i strip wizkids nolzurs with 99% alcohol. 

Biostrip 20 should also work but i havent used it on them yet. Will use it on the prepainted white dragon coming out in Jan 2021 :D

Sanjay

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I am just coming here to complain, in the last month or so, I was able to check out the newer waves for Australia. 
And I noticed three things. First of all, they had some more interesting monster. Second, most of those monster were in a new price category and have a bigger box (even if they don't need it). 
Lastly: 
An early wave Troll (lets call it Troll 1) costs 10AUD.
A newer Raging Troll costs 20AUD.

They look nearly identical to me. Sure the arm position is different, but that is such an easy modification.

• Sad 3

21 hours ago, DragonWyrm said:

I am just coming here to complain, in the last month or so, I was able to check out the newer waves for Australia. 
And I noticed three things. First of all, they had some more interesting monster. Second, most of those monster were in a new price category and have a bigger box (even if they don't need it). 
Lastly: 

They look nearly identical to me. Sure the arm position is different, but that is such an easy modification.

It could possibly the sculpt too. Reaper factors that into their sculpts as well. Thou, Wk was probably losing money on the large creatures at $4.99. 

The pricing on the troll thou is questionable. Especially since the Wave 1 is kinda too big. It borders on a huge large figure.

• Like 2

On 9/28/2020 at 6:06 AM, DragonWyrm said:

Lastly: 

Yea they jacked up prices in US as well. Seems like they are doing a bit of a relaunching. I still think its a good deal though, and some of the monsters are nice to see FLUMPF!!!!

• Like 2

I was just looking at an online gaming store's website and saw the following message posted on their WizKids page:

Upcoming WizKids Price Changes

These great minis are getting re-released by WizKids in larger packaging and at a higher price. The minis aren't changing, only the price and packaging.

The MSRP for the new packaging will be $8.99.

It then goes on to list the minis that are going up in price, all of them large-size creatures and a few terrain pieces (there may be more but those were the only ones available from that webstore).

That is an almost 100% price increase! I find that kind of outrageous. Price-point was the major appeal of WizKids to me, so with more and more affordable miniature (and STL) companies entering the market they'd better be careful not to greed themselves off people's radars.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Kalibak said:

I was just looking at an online gaming store's website and saw the following message posted on their WizKids page:

It then goes on to list the minis that are going up in price, all of them large-size creatures and a few terrain pieces (there may be more but those were the only ones available from that webstore).

That is an almost 100% price increase! I find that kind of outrageous. Price-point was the major appeal of WizKids to me, so with more and more affordable miniature (and STL) companies entering the market they'd better be careful not to greed themselves off people's radars.

Yea I noticed a "wave 12.5 "  for pre-order and got excited.... so its just repackaging eh? Oh well Hopefully they wont price themselevs out of market 

• Like 2

I got a lot of the Wizkids miniatures, usually I pre-order everything I like and might use as soon as a new wave has been announced. But while a lot of the sculpts are nice and I like how often they lift a creature directly from the D&D artwork, the quality still varies and they're not worth twice what I'm currently paying/have payed for them. It has gotten better from earlier waves, but I still have some figures with shallow details/gaps that are too big to ignore/too much primer. I'd start to only order the ones that are trademarked by D&D and I can't find an easy proxy to.

Change of topic: I did repose my 2nd Umber Hulk recently. While I still prefer cutting into Bones miniatures, it worked surprisingly well. The plastic in general is hard to cut through even when heated, but using the hot water method I was able to wiggle one of his arms and a leg apart where they were glued on. I now have two surprisingly different looking Umber Hulks. Might take pictures later.

Edited by Nunae
  • Like 9