Unpainted Minis from Wizkids

Beowulfthehunter

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I posted this over on the acquisitions thread, figure I should put it here too:

My MiniatureMarket order, a box full of WizKids unpainted minis arrived today.  I would say they are worth the price, the detail is very good for the most part, very similar to what the site pictures look like.  I had to open some right away and slap some paint on them, so I picked the female elf sorcerers.  There were some rather annoying mold lines, but I didn't have any issues removing them using a knife (like I always do on every type of mini).  They seem to take paint very well, I didn't wash them first, so the primer claim is definitely true.  The proportions are more true to life, so the heads are a bit smaller than Reapers heroic proportions.  Tiny eyes!

I like them and I will buy more of them for sure.

• Like 6

Proportions aside how well to they "scale up" next to Reaper's miniatures? Would the orcs look fitting next to some Reaper orcs or would they look puny like my Dark World orcs? Would the male barbarians look suitably imposing?

Edited by BlazingTornado
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, BlazingTornado said:

Proportions aside how well to they "scale up" next to Reaper's miniatures? Would the orcs look fitting next to some Reaper orcs or would they look puny like my Dark World orcs? Would the male barbarians look suitably imposing?

How's this? Female halfling rogue with a early Dark Heaven female halfling (Darby) & Enora, female halfling Pathfinder iconic:

Halfling comparison

• Like 9

On 3/29/2016 at 0:16 PM, Chris Palmer said:

I wonder if that means they'll be in places like Target and Walmart, like other WK products have been. While I like to support the local FLGS; I run a lot more errands to stores like Target and Walmart, where it would be easy to slip a pack or two into the shopping cart each time I went :)

No plans for mass distribution.  Maybe craft stores but that's a stretch too.

• Like 1

Mmmmyeah. I'm working off the renders on their website, which were obviously used to make the figures themselves and a great many fine details are vague to the point of being indistinct lumps on the figure. Add that to the slightly smaller scale of the figure itself, and painting Drizz't is a bit of a chore.

I may look into one or two more of these... certainly an Umber Hulk, if they get around to making them... but altogether, I'm just not hugely impressed, and am unlikely to invest in any more of their character figures.

If I was just starting off and learning to paint, these Elf Rangers would be next best thing to frustratingly near impossible. As it is, they are more of a chore than a joy.

• Like 2

Got tired of hanging around the hospital, so the little man and I took a trip to the gaming shop. They had several of these on the rack and among other things, we bought the barbarian with his bear skin cloak. Detail looks pretty decent. It seems to proportions are less cartoonish than some of Reapers current stuff. If I like the barbarians paint up I may get the halflings the next time I am up there as I liked their proportions.  They definately look better on the shelf than the Bones on the rack next to them. 

• Like 2