Unpainted Minis from Wizkids

Beowulfthehunter

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

anyone seen the starfinder minis in person? I'm curious how well they turned out.

The only place that I seen them release early was miniaturemarket. There was a seller on ebay but they were charging double the price for each piece, so I promptly ignore that seller.

I did place a order for those 2 minis that I'm using for pregens (normally I'd wait for my flgs, but they didn't have anything on their order forecast, at least this week) from gnomishbaazar & my order was promptly sent out the next day. I ordered on the 29th, so sounds like street date is the 30th.

You might be able to see ebay auctions with the pics. Now that I ordered, I kinda wish I had placed a order for the Vesk one & the brain collector.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So how does the detail on these minis compare to say Reaper Bones?

I've not paid much attention to the range in the past, but I've become rather taken with a pair of Gnome Bards:-

Spoiler

s-l1600.jpg

I'm not expecting them to perfectly match the renders, but how close do they get on average?

• Like 2

Love those sprues, hopefully they won't be too expensive.

5 minutes ago, aku-chan said:

I've not paid much attention to the range in the past, but I've become rather taken with a pair of Gnome Bards:-

Reveal hidden contents

s-l1600.jpg

I'm not expecting them to perfectly match the renders, but how close do they get on average?

Depends on the wave a bit. Earlier ones were definetly worse. I have some miniatures I really like and that are more on par with Bones Black than Bones, but others are worse. I had some that barely got a face and others that are quite fun to paint. They also come preassembled and the gaps are quite bad sometimes and preprimed, which obscures details in some cases. As usual, larger figures with less fiddly detail work better. 

Ideally you'll look at them in a FLGS

Edited by Nunae
  • Like 3

Definitely try to see them in-person first. I just grabbed a bunch online the other day, and the weak detail on the faces kinda got me. I mean, they were okay, fine for the tabletop, but they consistently didn't quite get up to Reaper standards imo.

RE: those paints

Don't tell Daddy Reaper I said it, but I am reeeeeeeally intrigued by a reasonably priced set of Vallejo paints distributed by WizKids. Both for trying those out, since I never have # and I think the accessibility would be great for trying to gin up interest in painting around here.

• Like 2

Thanks for the info guys!

Unfortunately there's no way for me to check them out in hand (They don't even seem to be for sale in the UK yet), so I'll just have to take a gamble and see if I get a pair of decent minis.

If I don't like them I can always sell them on.

• Like 1

• Members
2 hours ago, Marvin said:

Definitely try to see them in-person first. I just grabbed a bunch online the other day, and the weak detail on the faces kinda got me. I mean, they were okay, fine for the tabletop, but they consistently didn't quite get up to Reaper standards imo.

RE: those paints

Don't tell Daddy Reaper I said it, but I am reeeeeeeally intrigued by a reasonably priced set of Vallejo paints distributed by WizKids. Both for trying those out, since I never have # and I think the accessibility would be great for trying to gin up interest in painting around here.

Just remember they are likely half the size of a standard Reaper or Vallejo bottle.. 

• Thanks 2

On 8/1/2021 at 7:26 PM, SamuraiJack said:

Just remember they are likely half the size of a standard Reaper or Vallejo bottle.. 

Ooh, nice catch.

From Vallejo's website, they are indeed 8ml (0.27 fl.oz.) bottles.

• Sad 2

Yeah, but if they're priced right that's fine for me to try them out. tbh I'm so heavily invested in Reaper I don't really need paint, such as it is.

The distribution end of it with WizKids is the most interesting part to me. Like, the FLGS might actually carry these, whereas Reaper would be harder to get them to do. Or at least so it's seemed so far.

Although, I say that, but they went in pretty hard on Warhammer, so they probably won't carry these either.

On 8/1/2021 at 4:32 PM, aku-chan said:

Reveal hidden contents

s-l1600.jpg

Wow, things change.

Used to be I looked at renders and wished they showed the models.

Now I look at renders, and wish they sold the STLs. ::o:

• Like 3

I'm gonna hold off any new wave stuff as my FLGS wasn't sure when they would be getting their shipment in. He did say, purchases for the store have been wild with MtG releases & other stuff. So hopefully this month we'll get 'em here in my store. I don't mind :lol:

I only ordered the 2 from GB cause I really needed those figures for RCon. I'll buy the rest from my store.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, amuller33 said:

Im a touch disappointed with the price point for the frameworks, $50 for 5 Orcs (even customizable) is a bit more than I want to pay.

AJ

I’m not into warhammer, so maybe my numbers/recollection is a bit off, but I saw someone the other day make the comparison that a pack of 12 (15? 20?) customizable orruks were only $65 from GW. 

So WizKids is trying to price over Games Workshop mini’s...

• Like 3