Unpainted Minis from Wizkids

1 hour ago, amuller33 said:

Im a touch disappointed with the price point for the frameworks, $50 for 5 Orcs (even customizable) is a bit more than I want to pay.

AJ

Whoa I missed that price point.  Easy pass at that cost.

• Like 6
  • Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, amuller33 said:

Im a touch disappointed with the price point for the frameworks, $50 for 5 Orcs (even customizable) is a bit more than I want to pay.

AJ

Yeah, that's WAY out of the range I'd be willing to pay.

• Like 5

ufff to those prices. According to phdgames, where I usually look for preview pictures, it's 14,99$ for the individuals (at least I guess you can get 1 Miniature out of it with names like "human wizard male"), 24,99$ for bigger things like a drider or a troll, 39,99$ for a stone giant or a hill giant and, as written above, 49,99$ for the kobolds or orcs set.

That's .... a lot more than I was looking on spending. I can imagine someone going for that if they really want their PC to have the correct loadout or something, similar to why people build characters on heroforge. But as a DM I was looking forward to finally getting some variety in their creatures for encounter building, which so far has been lacking from the range. Nope to those prices though.

Edit: Especially with how official D&D modules (and these are official D&D miniatures and their releases somewhat follow the modules) are written and balanced for party sizes you usually need multiple of each creature. How do they imagine that going? Are we supposed to drop 100$ to outfit an orc encounter? There are multiple options out there to do that way cheaper. And it gets even more ridiculous with something like trolls, who you apparently just get one (and I assume spare parts) out of a box for 25$. Who is this marketed towards? So far the Wizkids releases were of fine quality but not exactly "pro painting competition" ready or anything. 

Edited by Nunae
  • Like 6

On 8/5/2021 at 1:28 PM, amuller33 said:

AJ

I agree. 

$10 per figure is getting real close to the upper limits of what I'd pay for a single, human sized METAL figure.

Heck, you can get a pack of 9 metal orcs from the Warlord line for $39.99 and spend the last $10 on a leader type figure to go with them. Twice as many figures for the same price.

Customizability isn't worth that much to me; I've got knives and saws and know how to use them.

• Like 5
21 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

I've got knives and saws and know how to use them.

Easy Brother Wolf, people might get afraid of you!

Since I have a 3D printer I find myself to spend the money on STL files.

$10 will give me a whole printable set these days with troops, leaders, cavalry and monsters.

Of course it will cost resin and energy to get them..

Bones Black is a great value, Wizkids less so.

• Like 4
On 8/6/2021 at 12:13 AM, Nunae said:

ufff to those prices. According to phdgames, where I usually look for preview pictures, it's 14,99$ for the individuals (at least I guess you can get 1 Miniature out of it with names like "human wizard male"), 24,99$ for bigger things like a drider or a troll, 39,99$ for a stone giant or a hill giant and, as written above, 49,99$ for the kobolds or orcs set.

And the balor rounds out the list at $99🤒 With no Wave 16 announced as of yet, Im worries Wizkids got out of cheap minis business for high end sprues

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

$10 per figure is getting real close to the upper limits of what I'd pay for a single, human sized METAL figure.

Heck, you can get a pack of 9 metal orcs from the Warlord line for $39.99 and spend the last $10 on a leader type figure to go with them. Twice as many figures for the same price.

Customizability isn't worth that much to me; I've got knives and saws and know how to use them.

Personally I like variety in my enemy miniatures, so I don't have e. g. 2 orcs who look the same. My orc crew from Bones fulfills this requirement though. Sprues from Wizkids sounded interesting, bc a lot of their enemys only come in 2 poses from that one pack they sell of them, and some of those enemies are trademarked and not easily replaced. 

The solo miniatures shown in the article posted above aren't even that customizable though. https://www.gamesradar.com/prismatic-paint-and-frameworks-revealed/

The torso main miniature stays the same, one can just change heads and put slightly different accessoires on. With the creatures it's similar: you won't make 2 vastly different Beholders or Trolls from 2 sprues. Looking at something like the Frostgrave sprues or older GW stuff (back when they weren't mono posed) it should be possible to make really different builds and not just variations on a theme. 

Again, I can kinda see someone being happy about their bard displaying the correct instrument or their wizard carrying a spellbook on their belt or whatever. But if you're willing to spend 15$ for your PC miniature you have so many gorgeous choices outside the plastic lines. And to me personally a artistically pleasing miniature with a good composition/flow/mood is more important than having the correct load out. 

image.png

• Like 4
3 hours ago, amuller33 said:

And the balor rounds out the list at $99🤒 With no Wave 16 announced as of yet, Im worries Wizkids got out of cheap minis business for high end sprues

As the Wizkids minis are what my FLGS stocks, I hope this isn't that case. I like finding figures that fit the actual size & look for the creatures I'm using in 5e. I always look forward to seeing the new waves (which thou have started to bloat with all the new lines they are making now).

1 hour ago, Nunae said:

Personally I like variety in my enemy miniatures, so I don't have e. g. 2 orcs who look the same. My orc crew from Bones fulfills this requirement though. Sprues from Wizkids sounded interesting, bc a lot of their enemys only come in 2 poses from that one pack they sell of them, and some of those enemies are trademarked and not easily replaced. 

The solo miniatures shown in the article posted above aren't even that customizable though. https://www.gamesradar.com/prismatic-paint-and-frameworks-revealed/

The torso main miniature stays the same, one can just change heads and put slightly different accessoires on. With the creatures it's similar: you won't make 2 vastly different Beholders or Trolls from 2 sprues. Looking at something like the Frostgrave sprues or older GW stuff (back when they weren't mono posed) it should be possible to make really different builds and not just variations on a theme. 

Again, I can kinda see someone being happy about their bard displaying the correct instrument or their wizard carrying a spellbook on their belt or whatever. But if you're willing to spend 15$ for your PC miniature you have so many gorgeous choices outside the plastic lines. And to me personally a artistically pleasing miniature with a good composition/flow/mood is more important than having the correct load out. 

image.png

Sadly, the Build a Pirate mini in the Swag box is similar to this concept. I'm sure it'll be ALLOT cheaper then the above offering thou.

I like allot of Wizkids' offerings. It's funny at first I didn't even want to look at the prepainted offerings when RCon was my only place to run games. Now with having a weekly (& now 2 again) game, I'm glad they are around. I like the Unpainted line, it's reasonable priced (even with the price increases). It's creatures that look like the 5e artwork & of course I can get them locally if they are in stock. If I want to wait & order I'll order & support my store.

With the announced prices of the sprue minis, I'm disappointed but then again I was disappointed in their "lock" scenery prices, as well as some of the prepainted sets they've released. Wizkids is great for the hobby, but I feel like they are oversaturating the hobby with all the special stuff (big dragons, statues, mounted heads, now multiple paint lines) etc etc etc.

I'll probably give the paint line a pass as I have plenty to choose from & probably the sprue minis as well, cause I have enough orcs + I know where I can get em cheaper.....

• Like 6
17 hours ago, haldir said:

Sadly, the Build a Pirate mini in the Swag box is similar to this concept. I'm sure it'll be ALLOT cheaper then the above offering thou.

To me it seems like Build a Pirate is similar to the current products show, while the concepts is closer to the Frostgrave Wizards and Frostgrave Warriors. When compared to frost grave wizards the sets fail in both prince and options. 

Really how hard can it be to make goblins in the same way GW made the Skaven Clan Rats and just offer it for half the cost? have 10 unique bodies per sprue, 2 sprees total. Each sprue should have 5 medium shields and 5 bucklers (could work for ranged weapons). Give 10 bows/slings/xbows, 10 spears and 5 swords. The leftover space would be enough to add magical staves, special weapons and magical items. 

• Like 4

My Gnome Bards arrived today and I'm pretty impressed:-

DaMTJ30.jpg

They're teeny tiny, even compared to other Gnomes (Like their Reaper Mini friend here), but the level of detail has held up surprisingly well.

I'm not quite sure if I can paint them, but I don't regret buying them and will have to keep my eye on the range in future.

• Like 10
1 hour ago, aku-chan said:

My Gnome Bards arrived today and I'm pretty impressed:-

DaMTJ30.jpg

They're teeny tiny, even compared to other Gnomes (Like their Reaper Mini friend here), but the level of detail has held up surprisingly well.

I'm not quite sure if I can paint them, but I don't regret buying them and will have to keep my eye on the range in future.

Told yah. ::D:

Yah the whole line is smaller then say Reaper, more like a true 28mm scale, but the smaller races do tend to be tiny. I think I went with the crossbow wielder for my pregen bard.

• Like 5