Unpainted Minis from Wizkids

Beowulfthehunter

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Hibou said:

I just bought that mimic the other day.  The best part is that the door is hinged and can be fully closed so it can be used as a piece of terrain. 

Cool to hear that the door opens & closes. I was wondering how you can pull off the "not-mimic" appearance without finding a different but normal outhouse miniature.

Eventually I'll have this one in my hands. Placed a pre-order with my FLGS, but they are very slow at getting in new Unpainted miniatures lately. Waiting for a few others out of this wave as well (harengons, backwards flipping ninja girl & kitsune, & jabberwock & MtG cobra druid guy). Hopefully, this week!!

• Like 2

On 5/14/2022 at 2:09 AM, BlazingTornado said:

Nobody's saying they're bad.

We're just saying they're not exactly worth paying 30-40% more than comparable models by Games Workshop. Especially since GW stuff was already considered pretty high-priced.

I'm also not a fan of the scale.  They're more 'true' 28mm as opposed to Reaper's 'Heroic' 28mm.  Kinda of like Hasselfree or the old Red box Games.  Bigger.  Especially for for those prices.

On 5/19/2022 at 6:49 AM, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

So apparently this was announced as an upcoming release by WizKids:

image.thumb.png.049e3a4c00fc7e590e01778b94508c16.pngimage.thumb.png.9e707858a46d0cb3d15de2df99ea593e.pngimage.thumb.png.7bc6b701f77a59e6a5491f5d0f9749bb.pngimage.thumb.png.321fb75ba7a02a763b2ac532f3bba02b.pngimage.thumb.png.ccf80e15bcadbeda2035dc693345b124.png 

these color renders should die in a fire and be declared illegal for selling purposes.  The models often don't look like the renders.  Lots of small differences.  False advertising.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, JoeGKushner said:

these color renders should die in a fire and be declared illegal for selling purposes.  The models often don't look like the renders.  Lots of small differences.  False advertising.

I concur.  Seeing a color render as a preview is ok.  But if it's the only image ever advertised, it's deceptive.  I've had enough time where I'd thought a color render looked ok, only to see it at the FLGS and just put it back on the shelf.  So many are just hideous.  Like minis I painted when I was like 9 using testors paints.  They're not something done at a professional or really a commercial level.

• Like 5

I agree. I'm very picky about getting Wizkids stuff; I won't order it from anywhere. I want to be able to examine the figure before I buy it, so that means going to game stores and checking them out.

• Like 3

Games Plus, a Mt Prospect store in the 'greater Chicagoland' area, had all the frameworks in this discontinued section.  It's a part of the store they mark down things not selling or that they don't plan on ordering again.  About 30% off.  I picked up a few of the frameworks.  Was never going to buy them at full price.  Not a fan of the 'true' 28mm size for one thing and the prices seemed out of line.

• Like 8

8 hours ago, JoeGKushner said:

Games Plus, a Mt Prospect store in the 'greater Chicagoland' area, had all the frameworks in this discontinued section.  It's a part of the store they mark down things not selling or that they don't plan on ordering again.  About 30% off.  I picked up a few of the frameworks.  Was never going to buy them at full price.  Not a fan of the 'true' 28mm size for one thing and the prices seemed out of line.

What did you get, and how're they working out?

• Like 4

I found frameworks in an Australian Store. 80 AUD for the kobolds... At least I can understand the giants... somewhat. Still overpriced for the limited options they offer. All the magic humans are so sad, especially since I could buy a sprue of Frostgrave wizards for less.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, BlazingTornado said:

What did you get, and how're they working out?

I picked up several but how they're working out?  Sitting on a shelf for now.  I have a lot of Reaper minis already primed.

I opened the human fighter and the ghouls (ghasts?) to look at.  Very fiddy.  Will have to have a towel or something under me when I'm sniping them for sure.

• Like 4

I picked up the Hill Giant, simply because it's holding a cow. Lots of really bad gaps and seams. Feels like they could have done a lot better hiding a lot of them. It's also not super clear how some of the parts are supposed to connect, especially ones that fit over heavily textured areas. For the Hill Giant, particularly some of the smaller bits, but also the Wagon and Elk skin that fit on his back in the same spot, going over th fur he's wearing. I couldn't get the Wagon to slot into place at all, so I switched to the Elk Skin and it had bad gaps after I attached it so I think I got it wrong. Both pieces had a textured connection that seems like it wanted to slot into the fur on his back but I just couldn't find the right spot.

Similar problems to the Night Hag preview I got for free RPG day last year, it took me forever to figure out how the cloud from her cauldron attached to the back of her head.

I also picked up the Human Warlock but haven't assembled it yet.

Overall not at all impressed. Too overpriced for what they are.

• Like 7

On 6/14/2022 at 6:41 AM, ampersand said:

I picked up the Hill Giant, simply because it's holding a cow. Lots of really bad gaps and seams. Feels like they could have done a lot better hiding a lot of them. It's also not super clear how some of the parts are supposed to connect, especially ones that fit over heavily textured areas. For the Hill Giant, particularly some of the smaller bits, but also the Wagon and Elk skin that fit on his back in the same spot, going over th fur he's wearing. I couldn't get the Wagon to slot into place at all, so I switched to the Elk Skin and it had bad gaps after I attached it so I think I got it wrong. Both pieces had a textured connection that seems like it wanted to slot into the fur on his back but I just couldn't find the right spot.

Similar problems to the Night Hag preview I got for free RPG day last year, it took me forever to figure out how the cloud from her cauldron attached to the back of her head.

I also picked up the Human Warlock but haven't assembled it yet.

Overall not at all impressed. Too overpriced for what they are.

After FRPGDAY, they released instructions for her assembly. Just sayin'.

I will admit the price is really the one thing holding me back from buying Frameworks, but I've seen some painted figures, that look fantastic from people on the Nolzur's BookeyFace group I'm part of. Also @Kelcore has painted up fantastic ones as well. Mostly medium hero figures, but he has painted the ogre & minotaur. 

• Like 2