Unpainted Minis from Wizkids

Beowulfthehunter

Anyone heard or seen anything if the next Wave, releases thus month or not? A bunch in this one I can definitely use. Good thing I can hold off a few weeks.

• Like 2

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/7/2022 at 8:48 AM, JoeGKushner said:

Games Plus, a Mt Prospect store in the 'greater Chicagoland' area, had all the frameworks in this discontinued section.  It's a part of the store they mark down things not selling or that they don't plan on ordering again.  About 30% off.  I picked up a few of the frameworks.  Was never going to buy them at full price.  Not a fan of the 'true' 28mm size for one thing and the prices seemed out of line.

Frameworks was more expensive than Games Workshop, and THAT is saying something.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Frameworks was more expensive than Games Workshop, and THAT is saying something.

The Kobolds* and orcs yes. The giants seem about the same price point and wonder of wonders, the human characters are still cheaper than GW plastic human heroes. 

* You real should have had 80 of them for 80 AUD not the handful you get. Look at Perry miniatures and now tell me you could not fit at least 24 Kobolds with all the weapon options on a sprue the same size as their wotr infantry.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, DragonWyrm said:

The Kobolds* and orcs yes. The giants seem about the same price point and wonder of wonders, the human characters are still cheaper than GW plastic human heroes. 

Yeah but you go to other price points and the Balor's MSRP is 104$ compared to the Warhammer Daemon Prince at 50$ and the LOTR Balrog at 65$. 😬

• Like 5

Some asked about the quality? image.thumb.png.df3b01c1026a00a0b7d42cdb8c4ab923.png Not impressed.  As you may be able to tell, the 'ringmail' just kind of stops there. image.thumb.png.d80913c3fac2c09b608ee1b3612fbc62.pngSame thing on the underside of the arm.  At full price this rather generic figure is like what?  $14.99?

A tremendously missed opportunity IMO.

• Like 5

I dunno how it is with other miniatures in that genre, but every time I look at the player character kits I always find it a shame that it's less about using the parts to build your own character and more building a slightly different version of the same character.

• Like 6

On 5/29/2022 at 7:13 AM, DragonWyrm said:

Yeah. For some figures I don't mind renders too much (e.g. Malifaux) but for WizKids I just don't trust them enough for the figure to follow the render closely enough. 

Tell me about it. I picked up from Miniature Market's Daily Deal, an "Air Genasi Rogue", and one of her arms was glued back an extra 180 degrees. Arms don't work like that. Hope my WizKids Vikings set turns out decent!

As for Frameworks, we had a discussion on Dakka and pretty much agree. If there were more parts, interchangeability, more than one miniature per set, etc., maybe they'd have something. But Osprey, although it's true 25mm, will sell you two sprues with interchangeable parts for *ten* miniatures for under $25. The parts are even swappable among their other multipiece miniatures. And then there's 3D printing. While more expensive than Frameworks (?), you can then further customize your miniature to fit your player character concept (especially some of the weird bizarre ones RPG'ers may or may not have... 😄 

• Like 3

I like the hill giant with cow.

But not $40+ worth of like.

WTAF were they THINKING?!!

19 hours ago, ced1106 said:

Tell me about it. I picked up from Miniature Market's Daily Deal, an "Air Genasi Rogue", and one of her arms was glued back an extra 180 degrees. Arms don't work like that. Hope my WizKids Vikings set turns out decent!

As for Frameworks, we had a discussion on Dakka and pretty much agree. If there were more parts, interchangeability, more than one miniature per set, etc., maybe they'd have something. But Osprey, although it's true 25mm, will sell you two sprues with interchangeable parts for *ten* miniatures for under $25. The parts are even swappable among their other multipiece miniatures. And then there's 3D printing. While more expensive than Frameworks (?), you can then further customize your miniature to fit your player character concept (especially some of the weird bizarre ones RPG'ers may or may not have... 😄 

Once you have your printer, 3D printing is WAY cheaper than Frameworks.

Like WAY way cheaper.

• Like 4

On 7/19/2022 at 9:24 AM, DragonWyrm said:

* You real should have had 80 of them for 80 AUD not the handful you get. Look at Perry miniatures and now tell me you could not fit at least 24 Kobolds with all the weapon options on a sprue the same size as their wotr infantry.

And that bolded part right there is the thing. Frostgrave miniatures, and Oathmark are two companies that offer build your own figures with lots of options for a much better price. Sorry, Wizkids, but you blew it.

• Like 5

Just put the ghoul/ghast together.

It's two of the same sprue so not a lot of options.

I do appreciate some of the basing materials but a standard base is going to be too small to actually use them.

Disappointed in the right arm, only one option, and the left left, again, only one option. Too much assembly for no options there.  GW is MUCH better at this on their sprues.

I'm not a great modeler when it comes to assembly so someone with better manual dexterity than me will have to assemble the head with the tongues because that did not look like a quick fit.

Detail is better than the human fighter.  Detail actually goes all the way around in this case.

• Like 4

Thanks for taking the hit! $25 MSRP for two sprues, one body each. Yeesh.

WZK_DnD_Frameworks_27_75053-pbiuzrgtk1rl

I tracked down a pic of the sprue. Space much?

wizkids-wizkids-d-d-frameworks-ghast-gho

fwiw, I'm painting the Mantic ghoul sprue. Limited poses, but at least two upper halves and two lower halves per sprue. Note that weapons will require minor conversion, removing the hands from the upper body. Less detail, but less assembly -- and less money to pay. Each Mantic ghoul sprue individually costs a ridiculous $10, but you can get much cheaper as part of an undead army set. 

EDIT: Like too many interchangeable plastics (except Reaper's Bones) the top and bottom half do not fit flush. You'll either do some sanding to get them to fit, or use putty to fill in the gaps. This is the most filler I've used, so wouldn't particularly recommend these for display-level miniatures.

sprueback.jpg

Edited by ced1106
  • Like 6