Unpainted Minis from Wizkids

Beowulfthehunter

I've done the Pathfinder male clerics and the D&D female barbarians and two trolls and have to say, I like them.  I just opened them and started painting without any washing or priming and got great results.  Unlike Bones, there's no searching around for secret methods to prep them, no boiling to straighten them, they're just great for fast painting to use on the table.  I'll still stick with metal for figures I want to display, but these have definitely become my go to minis for tabletop play.

• Like 5

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Dr.Bedlam said:

The Wizkids trolls looked okay. I'm just picky. Trolls should not have dreadlocks, of all things.

I kinda liked the dreadlocks b/c it gave them that grungy, funky feel.  I like to collect troll minis that are as different from your typical troll.  The Fenryll and Naheulbeuk ones are some of my favorites, but these WizKids ones definitely have a place on the table for me.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, CrimsonStar said:

I kinda liked the dreadlocks b/c it gave them that grungy, funky feel.  I like to collect troll minis that are as different from your typical troll.  The Fenryll and Naheulbeuk ones are some of my favorites, but these WizKids ones definitely have a place on the table for me.

Oh, I'll probably get one at some point. I just know too many people with dreadlocks... hell, for that matter, I didn't much care for the 5E redesign of goblins. I thought Pathfinder's gleeful psychopathic football heads were great, but for some reason, WotC's new gobbos make me think of the cast of Jersey Shore.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

Oh, I'll probably get one at some point. I just know too many people with dreadlocks... hell, for that matter, I didn't much care for the 5E redesign of goblins. I thought Pathfinder's gleeful psychopathic football heads were great, but for some reason, WotC's new gobbos make me think of the cast of Jersey Shore.

When I was in my FLGS picking up some of the WizKids minis I had the same discussion about D&D vs. PF goblins with the owner :)

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

While I've never actually seen Jersey Shore, the idea of replacing the cast with goblins... well... it makes me laugh. And kinda sparks the idea for a silly story. Goblin Reality TV....

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, David Brawley said:

While I've never actually seen Jersey Shore, the idea of replacing the cast with goblins... well... it makes me laugh. And kinda sparks the idea for a silly story. Goblin Reality TV....

Ewww there's a solid Idea for a Diorama for Reapercon.... Jersey Shore:Goblin edition

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, amuller33 said:

Ewww there's a solid Idea for a Diorama for Reapercon.... Jersey Shore:Goblin edition

*THAT'S* how typical green goblins become tangerine orange.

Too much bronzer!

Are 5e goblins green or red/orange? I haven't been paying attention.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cranky Dog said:

Are 5e goblins green or red/orange? I haven't been paying attention.

Yellowish tan, like other goblinoids (hobgoblins are a bit redder).

4709110_orig.png

goblin.jpg

I like the physical traits of the 5E goblin just fine. Definitely like it more than the cartoon Gremlins of Pathfinder.

But I'm not terribly fond of their armor design. A bit too "tribal" for my tastes.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, amuller33 said:

I vaguely remember this one show that had Verne Troyer on it. He got drunk, stripped naked, peed in a corner, and passed out. And that's kind of how I envision goblin reality TV.

3 hours ago, BlazingTornado said:

Yellowish tan, like other goblinoids (hobgoblins are a bit redder).

4709110_orig.png

goblin.jpg

I like the physical traits of the 5E goblin just fine. Definitely like it more than the cartoon Gremlins of Pathfinder.

But I'm not terribly fond of their armor design. A bit too "tribal" for my tastes.

That's a thing I'm not wild about. More effort was spent in "making the goblin look cool" than in thinking about it. I envision "goblin" as "creature that steals weapons and armor, or simply sharpens something and wears metal plates, because no way are there goblin blacksmiths."

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

I vaguely remember this one show that had Verne Troyer on it. He got drunk, stripped naked, peed in a corner, and passed out. And that's kind of how I envision goblin reality TV.

That's a thing I'm not wild about. More effort was spent in "making the goblin look cool" than in thinking about it. I envision "goblin" as "creature that steals weapons and armor, or simply sharpens something and wears metal plates, because no way are there goblin blacksmiths."

I find that the issue with the 5e goblins is that there doesn't seem to be much rom for variety with them. You see one, you see 'em all.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

I find that the issue with the 5e goblins is that there doesn't seem to be much rom for variety with them. You see one, you see 'em all.

Maybe that's why I liked PF goblins. They have an entire reasoning and backstory for being evil little vermin and XP on the hoof. They're GLEEFULLY PSYCHOTIC little MONSTERS.

Every iteration of D&D's goblins remind me of the webcomic Goblins: Life Through Their Eyes; they're generic little warrior dudes without the brains Ghod gave a duck who attack people twice their size with no use of tactics whatsoever without once thinking to maybe use the +1 sword in the poorly secured chest in their lair. These days, even kobolds get more characterization than that. Not to mention more brains and cunning. 

PF goblins are no better. But they're way more entertaining.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

Probably not good ones anyway, but similar to frost giants I have a hard time envisioning them as pure "raid and steal, never make their own stuff" types because the only other D&D race I can think of that's of similar size is gnomes, so where else would they get armor their size?

I figure they have some degree of crafting skills, probably not very good but sufficient enough to get leather armor, targe-style shields, swords, bows and spears out of the thing. Maybe some crude chainsmithing as the Goblin Bosses do sport chain shirts.

And given that they do associate with their goblinoid cousins I find it a bit far-fetched that some of the hobgoblin's discipline, at least to make some proper combat equipment, would be constantly lost on them.

But I guess that's why I run my own world. I don't have to worry about the established lore of a Forgotten Realms goblin or a Pathfinder goblin. And especially not of a 5th edition Gnoll. *shudders*

• Like 3

Finally got a chance to look at these in person. Some of them I like very much; on some of them, the sculpts are a bit weak. (I bought the halfling rogues and like them very much.) The casting is generally pretty good, though there are some moderately nasty mold lines. The material on the big figures is noticeably but not radically less bendy than similar sized Bones figures. The small figures are much less bendy, approaching polystyrene.

Overall, my reaction is quite positive. Broadly, I'd say the sculpting is a bit weaker and the casting (material plus casting quality) is a bit stronger than Bones.

• Like 4