Unpainted Minis from Wizkids

Beowulfthehunter

WizKids has the retail price point advantage right now, 2 character figures or 1 medium monster for $4 vs Reaper's 1 character for $3-ish. If you bought Bones during the Kickstarters, though, you made out a lot better. It's not a big difference, but it's enough competition that Reaper will need to step up their casting quality if WizKids expands their selection in any significant way.

• Like 1

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, LittleBluberry said:

I believe I commented on this in the other thread, but dried bubbles in the primer on the one WizKids mini I got did not lend itself to making a good impression.  While sometimes the bendiness of Bones is a drawback, sometimes it's actually an asset because they're less likely to break.  Overall I'm "meh".  

This is helpful, trust me!

I'm bending an axe and shield out of the way to paint otherwise obscured details, and WHOMP!  They just snap right back in place with no damage to the paint.

• Like 5

This was what I was wondering as well, so since its a harder (read less forgiving) plastic, is it akin to lead (in this case bones) and rallidium pewter (wizkids?) Because I sweated bullets every time I did a LITTLE bending on a rallidium mini in fear of snapping it:(

On 7/21/2017 at 0:34 AM, Ratmaster2000 said:

This was what I was wondering as well, so since its a harder (read less forgiving) plastic, is it akin to lead (in this case bones) and rallidium pewter (wizkids?) Because I sweated bullets every time I did a LITTLE bending on a rallidium mini in fear of snapping it:(

While it is somewhat more rigid than most Bones pieces, WizKids material is still quite pliable. It will not shatter and is unlikely to chip. It is not a hard material like most cast resin or injection molded styrene or ABS plastics, nor will impacts cause permanent bends or deformations as would happen with metal castings..

Oh yeah, and that creaking you felt when bending the Rallidium? That's a natural property of the lead-free pewter alloys in use nowadays, having a large proportion tin content. Tin just does that.

Edited by ultrasquid
metal

The wizkids minis tend to vary somewhat as to how difficult they are to work with. Some sculpts the lack of noses, melty face, and vicious mold lines make it an endurance run of one's patience and sanity. Others not so much, I found the Troll to be much easier to work with than the Female Elven Fighters. As others have said, check the blister carefully.

As to price to me it equals out. With Bones I may pay a little more, but I also am reasonably confidant that things like noses will be where they are supposed to be. With Wizkids two for four bucks is nice, but it is something of a gamble when it comes to how much of a pain they'll be.

I would suggest picking up some of both and having a go at them. Even if neither one suits you it's a cheap enough experiment.

• Like 4

I actually have yet to find a mini from the WizKids line with off features. They have all been highly detailed with crisper edges on the finer parts than Reaper Bones usually have. They do seem to have more obvious mold lines than Bones though but with the prices so comparable it seems close to a wash for me. WizKids for example seems to have better Pathfinder Goblins but you pay more for them than Reaper's while most of the regular sized figures are less expensive from WizKids. Both have +'s and -'s

• Like 1

Still thinkin' about the Troll. I WANT to like it, but the sculpt is... untrollish. It doesn't look like a monster. It looks like a huge angry homeless guy demanding WHO STOLE MY PANTS?

I think, "Maybe it looks better painted." So I went Google Image, WIZKIDS TROLL PAINTED. Best pictures I saw there, I've already seen; they were on this forum, here. Fine paint job, but I've seen way better trolls.

• Like 5

That's why I did mine as a hippie, blond dreds, regular flesh tone and tye dye on the loin cloth and he was a dead ringer for the guy at Woodstock who did the brown acid.

The melty face/ missing nose was on the second of the female elf fighters, the one with the shield. The elves were one of the first blisters I got right after they hit stores so it was probably an early run thing that's hopefully been fixed.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

Still thinkin' about the Troll. I WANT to like it, but the sculpt is... untrollish. It doesn't look like a monster. It looks like a huge angry homeless guy demanding WHO STOLE MY PANTS?

I think, "Maybe it looks better painted." So I went Google Image, WIZKIDS TROLL PAINTED. Best pictures I saw there, I've already seen; they were on this forum, here. Fine paint job, but I've seen way better trolls.

They are based directly on D&D 5E monsters. Not a fan of the new troll either but when you have a deal with a rpg company like D&D you sculpt what they tell you to I guess.

• Like 2

I have seen enough of the human sized figures with wonky features that I'm wary of getting any.

The monster figures look much better, IMO. I have the griffon, the displacer beast (that ones even painted!), and the giant spiders. All of them have some mold lines issues, but the detail on them looks good.

• Like 2