Unpainted Minis from Wizkids

We got more in today

the beholders are really cool. Good detail, few mold lines, and comes with exchangeable tentacles and a eye shield you put on after painting if you want that glassy eye look. 

Umber hulke are nice, bit hunched over but nothing bad about them I can see. We also got displacer beast, griffin, and mind flayers

1EED9288-D9FB-443C-B420-430670005F57.jpeg

FE4F5590-74BC-4FDA-9794-75B39CF7B2E3.jpeg

A0EB2BFA-C85E-4B6C-B1C6-74934B1F9E8D.jpeg

20C72712-856B-4AEF-86B2-14C1C70FF16B.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Already primed sounds great until you realize it means "dipped in primer straight off the production line, flash, mold lines, and assembly errors included at no extra charge".  There's also no price r

Hey there, Justin from WizKids, just popping in to clarify a few things.   1:  The reason a company releases a line as a collectible has more to do with the tooling model, cost per mini and

I picked up a copy of the Nozur's Treant last month. It's pretty big. The level of detail, as with all their models, is mushier in real life than in the computer renders they show in the ads, but as w

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, Sirithiliel said:

We got more in today

the beholders are really cool. Good detail, few mold lines, and comes with exchangeable tentacles and a eye shield you put on after painting if you want that glassy eye look. 

Umber hulke are nice, bit hunched over but nothing bad about them I can see. We also got displacer beast, griffin, and mind flayers

1EED9288-D9FB-443C-B420-430670005F57.jpeg

FE4F5590-74BC-4FDA-9794-75B39CF7B2E3.jpeg

A0EB2BFA-C85E-4B6C-B1C6-74934B1F9E8D.jpeg

20C72712-856B-4AEF-86B2-14C1C70FF16B.jpeg

I didn't even notice the eye cover in my bag. Thanks for pointing that out. ^_^

I have that griffin too. Also a very nice mini.

Really wish the umberhulks were in a more upright pose. I really dislike the way they're crouching.

• Like 2
Just now, Sirithiliel said:

i plan to have them be different species. this one will get a cockatoo crest and be a parrot griffin

You always coming up with creative ways to dress them up. I was planning on painting the WizKids one as a juvenile, and the Reaper one as an adult.

• Like 1

Has anyone picked up some of the new Wizkids Pathfinder Deep Cuts/D&D Marvelous figures?  I have to say that maybe Reaper should be concerned.  They seem to have better detail, they are primed (I know with Bones that doesn't necessarily matter), the plastic seems plenty durable, and the price is comparable if not cheaper.  

All I have done is 2 Displacer Beasts so far (been wanting some for a while and couldn't find anything that was good and/or affordable) and they turned out really nice.  They even came with 2 black disks to use as stands.  Just a flat disk of black plastic but once I put some flock on it they were more than adequate.  Just wanted to know what everyone else thought. 

Anyway also I have a bunch more on order (which means I ordered more Dwarves.....I really don't need more Dwarves..lol.) and will let you know what I think of those once I get them (note prices are Canadian).

Dungeons & Dragons Nolzur’s Marvelous Miniatures: UMBER HULK [Wizkids]   
$4.95
Dungeons & Dragons Nolzur’s Marvelous Miniatures: TIEFLING MALE SORCERER [Wizkids] 
$4.95
Dungeons & Dragons Nolzur’s Marvelous Miniatures: TIEFLING FEMALE SORCERER [Wizkids]
$4.95
Dungeons & Dragons Nolzur’s Marvelous Miniatures: DWARF FEMALE WIZARD [Wizkids]
$4.95
Dungeons & Dragons Nolzur’s Marvelous Miniatures: DRAGONBORN MALE PALADIN [Wizkids]
$4.95
Dungeons & Dragons Nolzur’s Marvelous Miniatures: DRAGONBORN MALE FIGHTER [Wizkids]
$4.95
Dungeons & Dragons Nolzur’s Marvelous Miniatures: DRAGONBORN FEMALE FIGHTER [Wizkids] 
$4.95
Dungeons & Dragons Nolzur’s Marvelous Miniatures: Adventurer's Campsite [Wizkids] 
$29.95
Dungeons & Dragons Nolzur’s Marvelous Miniatures: Gnolls (2) [Wizkids] 
$4.95
Pathfinder Deep Cuts: RUSTY DRAGON BAR [Wizkids] 
$24.95
Pathfinder Deep Cuts: DWARF MALE SORCERER [Wizkids] 
$4.95
Pathfinder Deep Cuts: BARTENDER/DANCING GIRL [Wizkids] 
$4.95
Pathfinder Deep Cuts: Gnolls [Wizkids] 
$4.95
Pathfinder Deep Cuts: Elf Female Sorcerer (2) [Wizkids] 
$4.95
Dungeons & Dragons Nolzur’s Marvelous Miniatures: BEHOLDER [Wizkids] 
$4.95
Dungeons & Dragons Nolzur’s Marvelous Miniatures: Dwarf Wizard (2

$4.95

• Like 1

I have heard good and bad things about them, havent had a chance to get any myself yet. The biggest negative I have heard is casting issues, such as mitten hands (instead of actual fingered hands), and blank faces. As for the priming, I hear there is a lot of flash to clean up, so you end up re-priming them anyway (unless you don't care/doing for tabletop quality, so you'll just paint em as is?). I want to get some gnolls and see how they go.

I've done several of them.  My opinion:

Some of them have absolutely terrible mold lines, especially around the faces.  Cleaning the lines off around faces is difficult.

The details on faces , particularly eyes are terrible on the humanoids.

The minis absolutely need to be washed or the paint doesn't stick to the primer.

I can't put thin coats on similar to a bones paint for the first layer. It beads up, the primer is very slick.

I *love* their orc scuplts - thats one in my profile pic.  I've decided I like them for non-humans and will wait for humans till their eyes and faces get sorted.  They just released a bunch more so I'm hoping they're better.  My LFGS carries their full line so I just picked up a nice looking dire wolf last night for my kid's Hero Kids campaign.

• Like 3

There is quite a lengthy thread about this already 

Personal opinion: I like them. Quality is quite different from miniature to miniature, and in some of them the detail from the render image gets lost in the actual product. The details get accentuated by the primer and the grey-ish color, while the pure white Bones often swallow the detail and surprise my after I start to paint them. It's a smart move to have that primer on there though, since they look way better in the box than white Bones.

I still like Bones better simply for all the different model choices they have. I don't want to build an Orc army with just 2 Orcs. Plus I feel more confident I know what quality I'm gonna get with Reaper Bones. I do enjoy the option to get licensed DnD miniatures that look like they're stright out of the Monster Manual though, and some Wizkids I like better than their Reaper counterpart (the Giant Spider mainly).

• Like 3

This is an old topic, but probably worth touching on again.

I remember Dr. Faust calling these "Bones Killers," but it's been over half a year and I don't see that as the case.

I was not initially impressed with either the D&D or Pathfinder releases, for the various reasons many others have given (can't build an army out of only two models, bad mold lines, joints need filling, so no advantage to being pre-primered). As I told my FLGS back then, I still have to wonder who these are for. The likelihood of these becoming a gateway to those previously not interested in painting is low, since those people are hard to move and harder to keep. As for those who are already hobby-oriented, the price point is good, but these need so much work that the advantage of pre-primering is lost to the hardcore amongst us. That leaves a rather narrow window.

That said, there are pros.

I always like to have more accessories and furniture, and those are now available.

Having a cheaper alternative for specific monsters like Umber Hulk and Beholder is a gigantic plus.

If I ever am in the mood to paint something super quick without bothering to fill in gaps and take off lines, I now have several minis ready to go.

Some of the sculpts are pretty nice.

I have noticed that some models already seem to have been silently discontinued. The skeletons are gone, with almost no evidence they ever existed, other than my own eyewitness account, and the couple packs I saw somebody charging too much for on eBay the other day. I think there is a pack of spiders that have been removed from WizKids site, as well.

• Like 2

From what I've witnessed while sitting in the one FLGS that I play in most Sundays now, these are my observations:

People are more aware of the WizkIds line than the Bones line. (even though in this same store, a small selection of the Wizkids minis hangs right next to a slightly larger, but still small section of the Bones minis.)

They are more positive about the details and the quality of the Wizkids sculpts than the Bones sculpts.

A lot of people have never painted a miniature before. 

My observations from starting to paint some of them.

The primer can have all the same taking paint issues as Bones.

There are still mold line issues.

The weapons have less warp.

I have not done side by side durability testing on them yet, because I haven't gotten enough finished painting to do so. I need to move some up further in my queue so I can do just that. 

Just now, Thes Hunter said:

From what I've witnessed while sitting in the one FLGS that I play in most Sundays now, these are my observations:

People are more aware of the WizkIds line than the Bones line. (even though in this same store, a small selection of the Wizkids minis hangs right next to a slightly larger, but still small section of the Bones minis.)

They are more positive about the details and the quality of the Wizkids sculpts than the Bones sculpts

This is my experience at my FLGS too, they're excited about the perceived level of detail.