Sign in to follow this  
Beowulfthehunter

Unpainted Minis from Wizkids

My vardo came yesterday, and I spent a happy few hours cleaning up the mold lines.

I am favorably impressed - my expectations were pretty low, mostly from the prepainted minis I have seen, but my expectations were easily beaten by the reality - good detail, crisp lines.

Megan mocked me a bit. ::P:

The Auld Grump

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

there's a dinosaur?

August release, one of the initial Huge releases (retail 15.99)

WZK73395--T-Rex-213x297.jpg

• Like 9

11 minutes ago, haldir said:

I'm surprised they didn't do a Zombie T-Rex instead to tie into Tomb of Annihilation.  It seems like there's so many options already for standard dinosaurs.

Probably didn't want competition between Wizkids & GF9. As they have the zombie T-Rex.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, haldir said:

Probably didn't want competition between Wizkids & GF9. As they have the zombie T-Rex.

They already have plenty with the pre-paint lines having near identical releases at the same time.  But maybe that market doesn't overlap as much.

4 hours ago, haldir said:

What do you guys think? Buy Wizkids T-Rex or buy Bones and cut it´s 3rd finger? Both look nice...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pedronunesv said:

What do you guys think? Buy Wizkids T-Rex or buy Bones and cut it´s 3rd finger? Both look nice...

i'll be getting both. I already have 2 Bones rexes pledged for, and i plan to get this guy when he comes out

mostly becuase i like painting dinosaurs and the more hte merrier haha

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Huh, between my purchasing the camp set and looking at the store for maybe buying another, the price had gone up about $12 - I am guessing because it is 'collectible' and my purchase dropped their inventory below a certain number.

So, I bounced over to the WizKids site, to see if I could purchase it there (no) and saw a notice that some packages of the set were mislabeled - promising three backpacks, three bedrolls, and two campfires, but only containing two, two, and one.

And that they would send folks with the mismarked packaging the components to cover what was described on the packaging.

Sure enough, mine was one of the mismarked packages, so it looks like I will be getting a few extra goodies in the mail in a few weeks. (Honestly, were it not for the notice, I would never have checked the package - I was quite happy with what I had received.)

The Auld Grump

17 hours ago, Sirithiliel said:

i'll be getting both. I already have 2 Bones rexes pledged for, and i plan to get this guy when he comes out

This is the obvious correct answer. ::):

17 hours ago, Sirithiliel said:

This is the obvious correct answer. ::):

• Like 3

On 5/8/2018 at 10:05 PM, pedronunesv said:

tumblr_mkws36UgVu1ry10fwo1_400.gif.2ead4698f71ad6f3cffa63cf8a9ffe94.gif

The only thing better than one giant dinosaur mini is two giant dinosaur minis...

• Like 2

Plus they'd have different poses. The Bones one is leaning down and roaring, the Wizkid one is rearing up and snarling

(this is in no way a true size, this is just to compare poses)

Diorama.jpg

Edited by Sirithiliel
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I'll wait for Bones. The more I paint WizKids, the less I like the material. The pre-priming sucks, they have mold lines all over, the detail is blah, and there are weird connection issues between zones (treasure chests have the treasure as a weird block inside a cube with huge gap). Bones is easy. 

• Like 1

On 5/9/2018 at 4:05 AM, pedronunesv said:

Since I already have a Ral Partha one, A DSA one, a Toy one and pledged for two Bones Rexes, it seems only fair to try to get this one as well.

• Like 5

Anyone have any ideas for stripping the primer off these things?  A friend gave me a set of WizKids PC minis to paint but they all have pudding faces.  Simple Green has not been doing the trick.  

38 minutes ago, Goop said:

Anyone have any ideas for stripping the primer off these things?  A friend gave me a set of WizKids PC minis to paint but they all have pudding faces.  Simple Green has not been doing the trick.  

Strange, Simple Green cleaned mine easily enough. Keep in mind that the plastic and primer are almost the exact same colour, so it may be difficult to see that there was progress made.

• Like 2