Jump to content
Beowulfthehunter

Unpainted Minis from Wizkids

Recommended Posts

It looks like wave 8 will include four Young Dragons all with flight stands.  Black, Blue, Copper and Green.  The green is different than the gargantuan everyone is complaining about - no huge forehead horn on the young one.  It's pose is almost sideways, like it's swooping in a downward curve.

 

Also a stone giant and storm giant.  I don't think I care for the storm giant; just like I'm not excited about the fire giant coming in Jan in wave 7. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, BlazingTornado said:

I don't think they have sculptors, I think they have 3D modelers.

 

 

They really should credit the modeler on the boxes, though. 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

 

They really should credit the modeler on the boxes, though. 

I agree. More and more of Reapers minis are being modeled rather than sculpted, yet either way the artist is still named.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cyradis said:
22 hours ago, BlazingTornado said:

I don't think they have sculptors, I think they have 3D modelers.

 

 

They really should credit the modeler on the boxes, though. 

And, as a person who does 3D modeling, it's not like you pick up a cup of coffee, watch video tutorials for an afternoon and then just will figures into existance. And, if they work with Zbrush or something similar, that part of the 3D workflow would still be called sculpting. Just, ofc, digitally. And I do agree, the artists should be credited.

 

14 hours ago, SpaceMonkey said:

It looks like wave 8 will include four Young Dragons all with flight stands.  Black, Blue, Copper and Green.  The green is different than the gargantuan everyone is complaining about - no huge forehead horn on the young one.  It's pose is almost sideways, like it's swooping in a downward curve.

I think that's because the giant one was a Pathfinder green dragon, while the young one is from D&D. In D&D blue dragons have horns on the nose though, so the model would fit in that regard.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone have coverage problems with paint over the primer? I know I've had problems in the past when applying Vallejo paints over Tamiya primer, thou it may have been the paint wasn't mixed throughly. Brush painted Army Painter Jungle green over the Shambling Mound today & it didn't feel like it was covering. Mixed with a Typhoon Mixer with a mixing ball inside so I know that wasn't the problem.

 

The other Wizkids I've painted didn't have this problem so I'm curious if maybe it's just a isolated problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, haldir said:

Anyone have coverage problems with paint over the primer? I know I've had problems in the past when applying Vallejo paints over Tamiya primer, thou it may have been the paint wasn't mixed throughly. Brush painted Army Painter Jungle green over the Shambling Mound today & it didn't feel like it was covering. Mixed with a Typhoon Mixer with a mixing ball inside so I know that wasn't the problem.

 

The other Wizkids I've painted didn't have this problem so I'm curious if maybe it's just a isolated problem.

There are a couple of spots on my beholder that are iffy. Did you wash it before painting it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/15/2018 at 6:44 PM, DavePgh said:

That would be cool, but not for that price... Didn't we just get a more detailed Stygian Barge for much, much less? I am quite intrigued by that Kraken though.

I’m pretty sure the Stygian barge is about 18-20” long, while the Falling Star is about 36” long.  Of course, that doesn’t justify the ~800% markup on the second (IMO).

 

 They’re both pretty cool liking at least, so those who want scale plastic miniature ships are lucky to have options.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i can see this one having more uses than the Stygian Barge, with all its skeletons and bones and obvious dead / underworld decor. Plus the wizkid one has a gridded top, which i know many DMs prefer

 

that said, i'm still not paying that price tag, even if i like it 100% more than the sygian barge and can see more uses for it

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/19/2018 at 3:08 PM, haldir said:

Anyone have coverage problems with paint over the primer? I know I've had problems in the past when applying Vallejo paints over Tamiya primer, thou it may have been the paint wasn't mixed throughly. Brush painted Army Painter Jungle green over the Shambling Mound today & it didn't feel like it was covering. Mixed with a Typhoon Mixer with a mixing ball inside so I know that wasn't the problem.

 

The other Wizkids I've painted didn't have this problem so I'm curious if maybe it's just a isolated problem.

I've had a few where that was an issue. The ones I have were some of the first ones out though, so I chalked it up to early run difficulties and the fact I've been watering down Reaper paints more than usual when painting them as the detail is shallow in spots. I haven't tried washing them yet, so that might help. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That ship looks awesome, but the price is too much for me.

I would live to see a Bones version of a more generic ship.

 

I pledged for the Stygian Barge ( two actually), I think being Bones we will find ways to convert it.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

I pledged for the Stygian Barge ( two actually), I think being Bones we will find ways to convert it.

 

Challenge accepted.

  • Like 4
  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm still hoping they continue the trend of the cross-media characters like The Nameless One and Minsc+Boo (which I still think are the best version yet)

I'd love to see more named characters for the modules like Harshnag and the Vampire Hunters pack, too.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Lidless Eye said:

I'm still hoping they continue the trend of the cross-media characters like The Nameless One and Minsc+Boo (which I still think are the best version yet)

I'd love to see more named characters for the modules like Harshnag and the Vampire Hunters pack, too.

 

100% agree. I'm a big fan of the PC figures already, but a few key module villains and some beloved classic characters would put an instant dent in my hobby budget. I already bought the D&D Adventurer's paint set just to get the Minsc & Boo figure. I'll probably use the paint for something at some point, but it was Minsc that rolled a crit on my wallet. Hope they start to roll out more. There are even a few characters from the D&D comics that I'd like to paint.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would love a Prince Derendil (or in general, some figures for the OotA NPCs). He is a quaggoth with some elven attire and posture tagged on, could potentially be hilarious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm honestly surprised they don't do it more, painted or unpainted. I haven't run them but I'm pretty sure Curse of Strahd, Tomb of Annihilation all have NPCs with distinctive features that still haven't gotten minis.

And even those who don't run the modules might still want them for use as their PCs or NPCs.

I've never run Curse of Strahd, probably never will, but I still want a mini of Izek.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...