Beowulfthehunter

Unpainted Minis from Wizkids

It looks like wave 8 will include four Young Dragons all with flight stands.  Black, Blue, Copper and Green.  The green is different than the gargantuan everyone is complaining about - no huge forehead horn on the young one.  It's pose is almost sideways, like it's swooping in a downward curve.

Also a stone giant and storm giant.  I don't think I care for the storm giant; just like I'm not excited about the fire giant coming in Jan in wave 7. 

21 hours ago, BlazingTornado said:

I don't think they have sculptors, I think they have 3D modelers.

They really should credit the modeler on the boxes, though. 

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

I agree. More and more of Reapers minis are being modeled rather than sculpted, yet either way the artist is still named.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cyradis said:
22 hours ago, BlazingTornado said:

I don't think they have sculptors, I think they have 3D modelers.

And, as a person who does 3D modeling, it's not like you pick up a cup of coffee, watch video tutorials for an afternoon and then just will figures into existance. And, if they work with Zbrush or something similar, that part of the 3D workflow would still be called sculpting. Just, ofc, digitally. And I do agree, the artists should be credited.

14 hours ago, SpaceMonkey said:

It looks like wave 8 will include four Young Dragons all with flight stands.  Black, Blue, Copper and Green.  The green is different than the gargantuan everyone is complaining about - no huge forehead horn on the young one.  It's pose is almost sideways, like it's swooping in a downward curve.

I think that's because the giant one was a Pathfinder green dragon, while the young one is from D&D. In D&D blue dragons have horns on the nose though, so the model would fit in that regard.

• Like 5

Anyone have coverage problems with paint over the primer? I know I've had problems in the past when applying Vallejo paints over Tamiya primer, thou it may have been the paint wasn't mixed throughly. Brush painted Army Painter Jungle green over the Shambling Mound today & it didn't feel like it was covering. Mixed with a Typhoon Mixer with a mixing ball inside so I know that wasn't the problem.

The other Wizkids I've painted didn't have this problem so I'm curious if maybe it's just a isolated problem.

40 minutes ago, haldir said:

Anyone have coverage problems with paint over the primer? I know I've had problems in the past when applying Vallejo paints over Tamiya primer, thou it may have been the paint wasn't mixed throughly. Brush painted Army Painter Jungle green over the Shambling Mound today & it didn't feel like it was covering. Mixed with a Typhoon Mixer with a mixing ball inside so I know that wasn't the problem.

The other Wizkids I've painted didn't have this problem so I'm curious if maybe it's just a isolated problem.

There are a couple of spots on my beholder that are iffy. Did you wash it before painting it?

On 11/15/2018 at 6:44 PM, DavePgh said:

That would be cool, but not for that price... Didn't we just get a more detailed Stygian Barge for much, much less? I am quite intrigued by that Kraken though.

I’m pretty sure the Stygian barge is about 18-20” long, while the Falling Star is about 36” long.  Of course, that doesn’t justify the ~800% markup on the second (IMO).

They’re both pretty cool liking at least, so those who want scale plastic miniature ships are lucky to have options.

• Like 2

i can see this one having more uses than the Stygian Barge, with all its skeletons and bones and obvious dead / underworld decor. Plus the wizkid one has a gridded top, which i know many DMs prefer

that said, i'm still not paying that price tag, even if i like it 100% more than the sygian barge and can see more uses for it

• Like 4

On 11/19/2018 at 3:08 PM, haldir said:

I've had a few where that was an issue. The ones I have were some of the first ones out though, so I chalked it up to early run difficulties and the fact I've been watering down Reaper paints more than usual when painting them as the detail is shallow in spots. I haven't tried washing them yet, so that might help. 

That ship looks awesome, but the price is too much for me.

I would live to see a Bones version of a more generic ship.

I pledged for the Stygian Barge ( two actually), I think being Bones we will find ways to convert it.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

I pledged for the Stygian Barge ( two actually), I think being Bones we will find ways to convert it.

Challenge accepted.

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

I'm still hoping they continue the trend of the cross-media characters like The Nameless One and Minsc+Boo (which I still think are the best version yet)

I'd love to see more named characters for the modules like Harshnag and the Vampire Hunters pack, too.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Lidless Eye said:

I'm still hoping they continue the trend of the cross-media characters like The Nameless One and Minsc+Boo (which I still think are the best version yet)

I'd love to see more named characters for the modules like Harshnag and the Vampire Hunters pack, too.

100% agree. I'm a big fan of the PC figures already, but a few key module villains and some beloved classic characters would put an instant dent in my hobby budget. I already bought the D&D Adventurer's paint set just to get the Minsc & Boo figure. I'll probably use the paint for something at some point, but it was Minsc that rolled a crit on my wallet. Hope they start to roll out more. There are even a few characters from the D&D comics that I'd like to paint.

• Like 4

I would love a Prince Derendil (or in general, some figures for the OotA NPCs). He is a quaggoth with some elven attire and posture tagged on, could potentially be hilarious.

I'm honestly surprised they don't do it more, painted or unpainted. I haven't run them but I'm pretty sure Curse of Strahd, Tomb of Annihilation all have NPCs with distinctive features that still haven't gotten minis.

And even those who don't run the modules might still want them for use as their PCs or NPCs.

I've never run Curse of Strahd, probably never will, but I still want a mini of Izek.

• Like 1