Sign in to follow this  
Beowulfthehunter

Unpainted Minis from Wizkids

Oh wow! There’s a LOT of stuff in there that I’m going to want... goodbye wallet! Or actually probably by the time these hit the UK it’ll be close to my birthday- so perhaps this is my birthday presents lined up already!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Darsc Zacal said:

Disappointed in the dragons. Nothing strikes my fancy. Will have to see them in person.

Wave 8 should also have some dragons, but I haven't pre-ordered them yet either. I like that they're going with the "young" dragons though, since those are smaller and more suitable for lower level adventurers. A lot of campaign don't make it to those epic levels where one would need the gargantuan dragons.

And somehow, in my head, I always see Reaper dragons as pretty big. I only own Blightfang though. Is there are chart with all the base sizes for those dragons somewhere?

From the newest wave I like the Bulette (really dynamic pose). The wyvern might make a cute baby for Blacksting. The werebeasts are great because they aren't werewolves (but again, my campaign is probably to high-level to fight a single wereboar). The spectator is cute and those are generally a great beastie to play with, eyebeams are fun and no DM should have to wait until the party fights a Beholder to use them. I like that there is a sprite, I don't particularly like that it's in a box with a pseudodragon. I don't see the connection there. Will be interested in their level of detail though, I'm on the market for a few tiny fey creatures, since my bf keeps summoning them (those darn Quicklings).

Giant eagle from the pathfinder section looks useful, again, for the bf doing druid stuff. The Roc from Bones 4 is too big, and a lot of other birds are more familiar/pet sized. How big is a giant eagle from Pathfinder? 2 inch base? 3 inch base?

Shark and octopus also great, somehow there is a market for 500 different bear miniatures, apparently. I also like the cannons, but will probably hold off on those. No fire weapons in my campaign yet, and I accidentaly ended up with way more Ballistae from Wizkids than anticipated. Bought 4 sets thinking there were 1 model in each set, but got 2 per set in stead. All siege scenarios will now have to use ballistae :lol: 

I will be getting a catapult (or two) though.

Edit: The adventurers leave me, as always, cold. I applaud their efforts to make the rarer races and race/class combos into miniatures, especially since they include females in equal parts. But I got the original human sorcerer for a player back then, and some elves to paint as drows since then, and the quality just wasn't comparable to metal, which we usually use for player miniatures. A lot of that tiny detail was just bleh in the final product. I know they are supposed to have improved, but since I have to buy them "blind" through online shops, I don't trust it enough. The badies usually have less tiny detail stuff on them.

And part of me fears that one day a player might fall in love with a Wizkids mini for their PC, and will have to wait 6 months for them, or be disappointed that the detail isn't as pronounced as on the other players' minis or on the render.

Edited by Nunae
  • Like 6

That shark is a must for me.

The octopus... like anybody that has ever met octopuses, mine aren't exactly terrifying menaces. ('The octopus successfully grapples, and is hanging on with six of its tentacles.' 'How much damage do I take?' 'None, it's just hanging on to see what you are up to.... Take a -2 to your Swim checks, but that's all....'

The Auld Grump

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

7 hours ago, Nunae said:

Giant eagle from the pathfinder section looks useful, again, for the bf doing druid stuff. The Roc from Bones 4 is too big, and a lot of other birds are more familiar/pet sized. How big is a giant eagle from Pathfinder? 2 inch base? 3 inch base?

Yeah, the Pathfinder giant eagle is large sized. There's actually a fair number of big bird minis in Pathfinder large, although Reaper doesn't seem to have many of them. Their own giant eagle is huge sized. (The phoenix would count, but it's a stereotypical phoenix pose, so maybe not as good a fit for an eagle.)

The wizkids one looks nice, at least in previews! I like how they're making a lot of common animals. It can be hard to find those outside of metal and I've picked a bunch up already. Don't diss the reaper roc, though! ::D: I need a real, colossal sized roc for a campaign I'm running and the only other option I found was a recent resin release. Cost over a hundred bucks...

7 hours ago, Nunae said:

And somehow, in my head, I always see Reaper dragons as pretty big. I only own Blightfang though. Is there are chart with all the base sizes for those dragons somewhere?

Yeah, they're pretty big. I think the Pathfinder Red Dragon is about the perfect size for most groups. Other dragons can come into play once in a while, but I think they're usually aspirational buys... I was really excited when I got to put Nethyrmaul out on the board, but that's only happened once!

By chart, do you mean base sizes for dragons in a particular system, or do you mean base sizes for the Reaper dragons?

---

I'm not sure how I feel about the shark and the bulette, but they're awesome enough that I'll probably get them. I too am not thrilled with the dragons--mostly. The clockwork dragon looks great!

5 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

The octopus... like anybody that has ever met octopuses, mine aren't exactly terrifying menaces.

Someone should write an octopus that actually has a nasty beak attack. All those 1d3-1 tentacle attacks just don't do it for me, either.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

The octopus... like anybody that has ever met octopuses, mine aren't exactly terrifying menaces. ('The octopus successfully grapples, and is hanging on with six of its tentacles.' 'How much damage do I take?' 'None, it's just hanging on to see what you are up to.... Take a -2 to your Swim checks, but that's all....'

Our 6th grade Biology teacher, who was a man in his 60ties, used to talk about diving and meeting octopi. Apparently, even the small ones are quite strong, and if they hold on to you with some of their arms and to a rock or something with their other arms, it's near impossible to get away. He advised using a diving knife to put into their brain, or, missing that tool, biting into their head. Cutting at their tentacles is apparently not very effective. Sounds mean and pretty disgusting, but if any of you are ever being drowned by an octopus, it might help. :ph34r: Yes, I only remember the important stuff from 6th grade.

5 minutes ago, terminalmancer said:

Don't diss the reaper roc, though! ::D:

I wouldn't dare to. I ordered two of them. But I don't want my 9th level druid turn into THAT.

7 minutes ago, terminalmancer said:

By chart, do you mean base sizes for dragons in a particular system, or do you mean base sizes for the Reaper dragons?

Base sizes for the Reaper dragons. I'm bad at judging a big miniature's size by the little triangles, and even worse at judging them by the "B" thingy. And if you're looking for a nice young green dragon as the first dragon to confront your players with you don't want to end up with a genormous beastie that needs a 4 inch base. You need to leave room to size up later, you know?

I'm also not a huge fan of all the dragons (and a lot of them are only shown from angles where you can't really judge them), but I like how they seem to meticulously work through all of them, so if you really need a young brass dragon, and it's important to you that it has the correct sizing and Monster Manual features, you can get one. Seems to be a weird oversight that there is no young red dragon yet, though. :huh:

Edited by Nunae
terminalmancer posted at the same time as me
  • Like 5

It used to be blister pack dragons were large base. Box sets were huge or larger. Now days I have no idea.

Looking forward to most of that wave, thou mostly looking forward to

Tabaxi female (I've got the male, & they are nice minis)

half-orcs both thou, I'd rather them go into other classes besides the stereotypical half-orc classes, again (we have what 2 sets of both m & f barbarians now?)

Pathfinder goblin. Always down for more of those. I may have to make anther We Be Goblins pregens now!

giant eagle. I tossed my Warlord one into the melt bucket for RCon, & was planning to get the prepainted one but I've yet to do that. This will be easier & cheaper!

Tortles. I can print my own Tortles (ok they are TURDles, but same thing, without the ridiculous name) but I like the poses.

female human druid. Lifted straight from the artwork from the PH5e & I love it!

I'll take a look at the clockwork dragon but it's this one, just unpainted:

WZK72379-ClockworkDragon.jpg

Also the star spawn of Cthulhu is this one but again, unpainted:

41RCZbwyzGL.jpg

Google link, 1st image is a Star Spawn with d20 (note the regular size d20 for scale)

Overall a fantastic wave! I need to get my preorder in with my shop!

• Like 5

Looking at the July minis list, I got excited to see Tabaxi female rogue!  I'm playing one in a campaign.  Looking at the model image, it looks really neat but not quite how I imagined my PC.  Reaper's Cheetah Girl mini is still probably my closest fit (which I just snagged in my February Reaper order).  I'll likely still get the Wizkids one when it comes out though - I picked up the male version a few days back just to have some other Tabaxi mini options.

• Like 3

I'm excited to see that they finally recognize the glory that is Tortles:

Image may contain: shoes

It also looks like 3E's infamous Regdar has a comeback, or at least a lookalike:

Image may contain: shoes

The "lesser" Goblin Alchemist is Mogmurch's early days from "We B4 Goblins", with the "painted" example having his butterfly birth mark.

image.png.c716405bd0662a481eb553c887b0188b.png

From the module:

Image result for mogmurch

The "leveled" Alchemist appears to be the new Goblin Iconic Alchemist for "Pathfinder 2E"

Image result for pathfinder 2E iconic alchemist

Edited by Lidless Eye
  • Like 7

36 minutes ago, Arimaythea said:

Looking at the July minis list, I got excited to see Tabaxi female rogue!  I'm playing one in a campaign.  Looking at the model image, it looks really neat but not quite how I imagined my PC.  Reaper's Cheetah Girl mini is still probably my closest fit (which I just snagged in my February Reaper order).  I'll likely still get the Wizkids one when it comes out though - I picked up the male version a few days back just to have some other Tabaxi mini options.

I'm a huge fan of Tabaxi, but the upcoming female rogues don't do it for me either. I just don't think of Tabaxi as house cat style cat people. The ones with large cat features (lions, tigers, cheetahs, leopards...) are so much nicer. The Reaper cheetah girl is still the best I know of. She's so muscular and fierce looking. I did get one from an Oathsworn Miniatures KS a while back that is pretty great. Has nice armor and sweet eat cutouts on the hood. I'll post a pic in case you haven't seen her.

767ac806fbabf072589ffd55e1613774_origina

...and the upcoming WizKids Tabaxi rogues

1500x1500_6d6ed3e06d71570127f624fc9210d8

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, Lidless Eye said:

The "leveled" Alchemist appears to be the new Goblin Iconic Alchemist for "Pathfinder 2E"

Image result for pathfinder 2E iconic alchemist

Nice that they are gonna release the unpainted  one as well as the prepainted one. I know there is a set of the P2 iconics coming but I have no clue when that will be.

Paizo/Wizkids is releasing the Pathfinder Battles: Legendary Adventures Preview Pack the same month (or August, conflicting reports on websites)

20190207-Figures_360.jpeg

So goblin goodness for those that collect/like the Paizo goblin.

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, CorallineAlgae said:

I'm a huge fan of Tabaxi, but the upcoming female rogues don't do it for me either. I just don't think of Tabaxi as house cat style cat people. The ones with large cat features (lions, tigers, cheetahs, leopards...) are so much nicer. The Reaper cheetah girl is still the best I know of. She's so muscular and fierce looking. I did get one from an Oathsworn Miniatures KS a while back that is pretty great. Has nice armor and sweet eat cutouts on the hood. I'll post a pic in case you haven't seen her.

767ac806fbabf072589ffd55e1613774_origina

...and the upcoming WizKids Tabaxi rogues

1500x1500_6d6ed3e06d71570127f624fc9210d8

Bombshell has had a Cat person mini. It was my go to Tabaxi mini for quite some time: Ranger, Rogue, Fighter, cleric & bard. All good classes for this particular mini.

51dCkUZWNQL.jpg

The thing about the Wizkids one thou, the top one could easily be this one:

332?cb=20170131190820 (official 5e Tabaxi race artwork)

• Like 8

Some of my faves for Tabaxis are the Horrorclix Pride Warrior and the D&D Tabaxi Bard (available unpainted in the Tomb of Annihilation board game). They look really good when repainted.

e274ef1a4868f508da611f09813e8a14.jpg

687474703a2f2f7777772e6d696e697367616c6c

• Like 9