Unpainted Minis from Wizkids

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Just saw images for the ships cannon that are coming out... I am going to be dropping a fair amount of money on them....

The Auld Grump 2 for $5... twenty guns...

Too bad they're not likely to make Hotchkiss guns. I could really use some for 25mm scale Space 1889.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Too bad they're not likely to make Hotchkiss guns. I could really use some for 25mm scale Space 1889.

That is a small enough niche that you may be better off looking at 3D printing them.

Naval, or revolving barrel?

The Auld Grump

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

That is a small enough niche that you may be better off looking at 3D printing them.

Naval, or revolving barrel?

The Auld Grump

6# QF, by preference, since that's what my designs always seem to use. I think I have a few light naval gun models in metal around somewhere, from back when I started one ship, but where and exactly what they are, I don't remember. Not a high priority, but it would be kind of fun to finish that ship.

I also need to figure out how to handle the antigravity panels, which are described as (IIRC) rotating louvers, so they could be an interesting detail.

• Like 2
On 4/15/2019 at 5:14 PM, TheAuldGrump said:

Just saw images for the ships cannon that are coming out... I am going to be dropping a fair amount of money on them....

The Auld Grump 2 for $5... twenty guns...

Non commercial link or image post? not finding stuff in search.

On 4/17/2019 at 8:07 PM, lexomatic said:

Non commercial link or image post? not finding stuff in search.

MeepleMart (commercial link).

They have both a bombard and the lighter guns coming out. While the lighter cannon aren't labeled Ship's Guns they are on a naval mount, and no means to attach a limber.

260607.png?bw=550&w=550&bh=550&h=550

The bombard is a single model, while the lighter guns come two to a pack.

To my eye they look 18th Century, six to eight pound guns.

*EDIT* The bombard -

260596.png?bw=550&w=550&bh=550&h=550

Looks like a mix of 16th Century (barrel) and 17th Century (carriage), with no trunnion.

The Auld Grump *EDIT* Fixed the post a description for the bombard somehow ended up with the ship's gun... while a description from the ship's gun just wasn't there. The bombard has no trunnions - so aiming would be a bear, and the ships guns lack a limber - so would be diffucult to draw behind horses.

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, ced1106 said:

Hmm. Are they single-hex sized? I might have to get some for (spoiler). 

Generally Wizkids unpainted are:

If there are 2, they are roughly medium base figures

If there is 1, it's more then likely a large based figure.

If it's over the standard blister price (last was 4.99) then it's most likely a huge mini.

• Like 2

Wizkids partnered with Vallejo to create a Deep Cuts paint line as well. Will be new colors apparently, not just rebranded like GF9 did with the Armypainter D&D ones.

Interested to see what the colors will be, and if they'll be available in smaller packs/individually, as I don't think I have need to buy a big "welcome to the hobby" box with all the colors. I do like my Vallejo paints though, and hopefully, with them being from the EU, availability over here will be better. 

• Like 4

They really seem to be licensing the same products out to multiple companies.  I was worried with how late into Bones 4 the Pathfinder Iconics were, that it meant the contract for PF unpainted was only going to be in WizKids hands.  I find their Pathfinder line very lackluster compared to the D&D one...so many rehashes of the same Iconics and it's mostly player types.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Lidless Eye said:

I find their Pathfinder line very lackluster compared to the D&D one...so many rehashes of the same Iconics and it's mostly player types.

I have a feeling it's Paizo that controls that. They do love their iconic lineup. I do agree I generally look more at the generic Deep Cuts & Nolzur's lineup more then the Pathfinder ones. That & the gnolls sizing is highly annoying! Cool sculpts but they are tiny compared to Nolzur's & Reaper's.

• Like 4