Unpainted Minis from Wizkids

I picked up a copy of the Nozur's Treant last month. It's pretty big. The level of detail, as with all their models, is mushier in real life than in the computer renders they show in the ads, but as we can see ...

174940824_DSC_1483-Nolzurs-Treant-in-package.jpg.0f04ddc15989d778eba6ad363b7c415b.jpg

... It doesn't look too bad after I primed it for painting in my usual way, with a wash of thinned transparent Burnt Umber.

255238172_DSC_1492-Nolzurs-Treant.jpg.a94974350582cbd8915e30a70339c504.jpg

1848386560_DSC_1494-Nolzurs-Treant.jpg.c20c26743bcda90a2c50a5ffa03c4c91.jpg

Then I looked at all those spiky branchy bits and thought Hmm. And I went and got some of the green-dyed moss I have for trees.

1718231280_DSC_1500-Nolzurs-Treant-with-foliage.jpg.9ee3bf53c683b89452c7ff115faa35f1.jpg  435476778_DSC_1504-Nolzurs-Treant-with-foliage.jpg.8ec8b2d73df3c83f4d6422bf3d56edfd.jpg

183555922_DSC_1505-Nolzurs-Treant-with-foliage.jpg.6199d2056acc6dff910574249292ee5a.jpg

In natural light (without flash) it looks even better.

1190132739_DSC_1501-Nolzurs-Treant-with-foliage-natural-light.jpg.f74c4e0c861a44270f9e192ff987c4ba.jpg 

1394317536_DSC_1503-Nolzurs-Treant-with-foliage-natural-light.jpg.3666659a6627677423f745558b6e6d03.jpg

1199385992_DSC_1506-Nolzurs-Treant-with-foliage-natural-light.jpg.aa9dda1d9851d3c67e1b1bcbfb83cf5b.jpg 

1293884753_DSC_1502-Nolzurs-Treant-with-foliage-natural-light.jpg.69364730311f3ea32b9c5a58e139337e.jpg

I don't actually think I'm done (Those shelf mushrooms cry out to be painted). But darned if this one isn't easy to make look good really fast.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2
  • Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hey there, Justin from WizKids, just popping in to clarify a few things.   1:  The reason a company releases a line as a collectible has more to do with the tooling model, cost per mini and

Already primed sounds great until you realize it means "dipped in primer straight off the production line, flash, mold lines, and assembly errors included at no extra charge".  There's also no price r

I picked up a copy of the Nozur's Treant last month. It's pretty big. The level of detail, as with all their models, is mushier in real life than in the computer renders they show in the ads, but as w

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Pingo said:

Then I looked at all those spiky branchy bits and thought Hmm. And I went and got some of the green-dyed moss I have for trees.

I like what you’ve done there.

It really pluses up the figure.

• Like 3

That gives the model a lot more presence.

I was originally going to use a lot of tree/lumber puns, but I reined myself in. ::P: (Sometime around the tenth pun, I went 'yeah, let's not'.)

The Auld Grump - I pine fir you, sometimes I even balsam.... Just to get them out of my system.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
51 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

That gives the model a lot more presence.

I was originally going to use a lot of tree/lumber puns, but I reined myself in. ::P: (Sometime around the tenth pun, I went 'yeah, let's not'.)

The Auld Grump - I pine fir you, sometimes I even balsam.... Just to get them out of my system.

That was bad to the ent*th degree!

• Haha 6
On 5/3/2019 at 2:44 PM, Darsc Zacal said:

My hobby budget has been tight lately but I did have enough left on a Christmas gift card to get a couple of the WizKids giants today.

Shown below from left to right; WIzKids Stone Giant,  Reaper Bones 4 Stone Giant, Sir Forscale,

And a close up of the Stone Giants, even though Reapers refused to look at the camera.

303E8766-D3BA-45F4-AD22-510A3384E704.thumb.jpeg.1007a57a9124a5346148c9c16263e56c.jpeg

The Wizkids Stone G is bigger than Reapers, but not as much as I thought it would be.

They also had the hill giant, but I really don’t like his styling.

And sorry Smokestack, they had the new dragons there but I didn’t have the budget for them. I thought they were a decent size.

so which one do you like better, the one with the weird head and tiny feet or the shorter one ? :)

The hill giant styling didn't bother me nearly as much as the $15. price tag . The Dragon's looked good, but again, the price , they should have reduced the packaging and made the cost more reasonable. They are way over-packaged IMO

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, Fencig said:

so which one do you like better, the one with the weird head and tiny feet or the shorter one ? :)

The hill giant styling didn't bother me nearly as much as the $15. price tag . The Dragon's looked good, but again, the price , they should have reduced the packaging and made the cost more reasonable. They are way over-packaged IMO

As a sculpture, a piece of art, I like the bigger Wizkids giant better.

But then I’m a fan of Art Deco and this giant strongly reminds me of that style.

Having said that, as a miniature for use to represent Stone Giants on the gaming table, I do like the Reaper sculpts better. They have more character.

Wizkids seem to price their products by the package size and not by the mini itself.

For example at $5 in the small blisters the infamous Beholder, the Silver Dragon, and the Griffin are a steal.

But in the same $5 blister the two tiny coffers are simply not worth the money.

At $15 the Stone Giant is not as good a deal as the $15 Cloud Giant, which is a much larger and more ornate sculpt, but I still think the Stone Giants a fair price for its size and quality. If the sculpting style had some appeal for me, a hill giant at the size they did might be worth the price.

• Like 5
On 5/6/2019 at 3:35 PM, Darsc Zacal said:

Wait. What?!? 

These are female giants?

:huh::unsure::blush:

It was bad enough when I didn’t realize that about the fire giant mini.

So YOU'RE the reason Reaper decided to give the frost giant raiders an armor reduction/breast enhancement!

*Shakes head in disappointment*

• Haha 8
On 5/13/2019 at 1:18 PM, Darsc Zacal said:

As a sculpture, a piece of art, I like the bigger Wizkids giant better.

But then I’m a fan of Art Deco and this giant strongly reminds me of that style.

Having said that, as a miniature for use to represent Stone Giants on the gaming table, I do like the Reaper sculpts better. They have more character.

pretty sure the Wizkids model is straight out the original Monster Manual , at least the head and club,  it's not bad overall. Those tiny Ballerina feet need re-sculpting with some putty though

Wizkids seem to price their products by the package size and not by the mini itself.

For example at $5 in the small blisters the infamous Beholder, the Silver Dragon, and the Griffin are a steal.

But in the same $5 blister the two tiny coffers are simply not worth the money.

excellent point, the Silver Dragon is a bargain and i have it, it's really an excellent model with very good fit up. IT's rather odd for Wizkids since it came as multi-piece

I will have to grab the Griffin and beholder too. Only reason I can think of why  i haven't gotten them yet  is because the slots are usually empty for those models, they just fly off as soon as as they arrive.

• Like 3
On 4/24/2019 at 2:53 PM, PaganMegan said:

Grump had a cardboard ship he printed up from somewhere that looked really good, and did have all the decks.

I have no idea where he got the PDF, or where he keeps it. But the thing is HUGE!

WorldWorks Games?

If so, I have two of those built: one in color and one black & white. I use them a few times a year and have always had such nice comments on them.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Talae said:

WorldWorks Games?

If so, I have two of those built: one in color and one black & white. I use them a few times a year and have always had such nice comments on them.

That's the one - I love that model!

The one I had was starting to show its age, lots of wear and tear over the years. (Plus, I was thinking about the space needed for baby stuff. The Maiden is a huge model.)

At some point I do intend to print another. ::):

The Auld Grump

• Like 3