Frostgrave Terrain by Chaoshead(VERY PIC HEAVY)

If you have ever seen Disney's Sword in the Stone, I think a small tower screams Wizard's Tower.  Merlin's tower was very small outside, and even smaller inside due to the stacks of books, over-laden book-shelves and assorted doo-dads.

Now, to keep this a playable piece you don't want to lose all the floor space, so I would recommend a bit of clutter and/or shelf on only one wall section per floor.  You lose minimal space but it evokes a cluttered and full tower.

As an example of some quick and dirty shelf dressing here are a few examples I did on my library module from my modular dungeon.  The scrolls are rolled strips of paper, the books wood with paper folded over to create a cover.  Splash on some paint and done.

post-13289-0-94910400-1467425638_thumb.jpg

post-13289-0-06127600-1467425642_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love that movie, I probably watched it at least one hundred times with my youngest sister.

I knew small little wizards tower actually works and it does scream wizards tower BUT for the purpose of the game and play-ability I think I want a larger, both in diameter and height, tower.

I like your terrain btw and thanks for the books idea, I had not thought of doing them that way even though I believe I saw you make a few dozen of them in a thread a while back.

• Like 3

@Xherman1964  --  Thanks.

I shingled the roof of the wizard tower, what a slog that was, ugh.  Took almost four hours which I think is about the same amount of time that it took to build the entire tower.

Not much else was done today, just sort of chillin'.

20160702_171457_zpsfelgx1ye.jpg

20160702_171507_zpst7yetlvm.jpg

It's not the best of jobs but it will serve the purpose.  It got pretty fiddly towards the top of the roof on each of the triangular sections where there is just a single tile.

I think I am going to go build something without a roof now so that I don't have to shingle anything else for a little while.

• Like 12

Second update for today.

I wanted a fountain for my Frostgrave terrain, I searched for a little while before deciding on a Hirst Arts kit.  While it is not exactly what I wanted it could be turned into pretty much exactly what I wanted.

This is the kit I purchased.

20160702_211456_zpsiyjlywvb.jpg

I have never worked with this type of material before so I actually read some of the tips and trick from the website before starting anything.

First things first I pulled out the scroll saw and cut the base the best I could manage, I am not very good with this tool because I do not use it very often.

20160702_201221_zpsbvpzhpmx.jpg

Not too bad of a fit, nothing a little trimming with an exacto won't take care of after it is all built.  It is a good sized fountain, just under 7" across for the interior, just under 9" across for the exterior.

20160702_203620_zpsmexnvkwe.jpg

Pretty nice detail too.

20160702_203634_zps1ascz8mx.jpg

I glued together all the various parts that make up the parts of the fountain.

20160702_210213_zps8ibvtuhm.jpg

Then I realized that I wasn't even going to use some of these parts in my finished fountain!   :unsure:

I am not exactly sure what the finished fountain will look like yet but I am pretty sure it will not have the statue encased in the columns and crenelations of the original kit.

There are a lot of parts left over for right now, even if you build the kit using the instructions there would be a lot of left over parts.  Some I have no idea what they would be used for and others that may find a use, especially the parts that I could use to make a dome.

20160702_211540_zpsw9snimuj.jpg

That is where I stopped for today, everything needs to dry thoroughly before I mess with it more and figure out how I want to assemble the kit.

I decided, with the help of @HobbyPrincess, on a mini for the statue but I shall keep that as a surprise for later.

Advice. criticism, comments all welcome, I may not listen to any of them but they are all welcomed and appreciated.

• Like 12

<snip>

Then I realized that I wasn't even going to use some of these parts in my finished fountain!   :unsure:

I am not exactly sure what the finished fountain will look like yet but I am pretty sure it will not have the statue encased in the columns and crenelations of the original kit.

There are a lot of parts left over for right now, even if you build the kit using the instructions there would be a lot of left over parts.  Some I have no idea what they would be used for and others that may find a use, especially the parts that I could use to make a dome.

<snip>

I'm guessing the bulk of it is just the same mold cast X number of times (#61, cast 8 times, at a guess) with extra bits thrown in from other molds. You'll almost always end up with spare bits in that kind of situation. You might be able to come up with some creative uses for some of them... ::): 

• Like 2

@Chaoswolf  --  As a fellow brother of the chaos I can neither confirm or deny that I was sent here to enable you.

@Xherman1964  --  Well, a few little details have changed for the fountain so you won't get to see the entire thing finished until I get a mini I ordered for the top.  The excitement is building.

@canuckotter  --  The kit was indeed multiple castings of one mold, eight castings of #61 with the addition of four faces from the wizards tower mold #50.  I don't know a ton about the HA stuff but I think I kind of like them after playing with this little beginner kit.  The extra pieces that I really like are the ones that allow me to make a dome.  I have to find a use for those now.

I haven't updated in a few days but I have been fairly busy with the hobby-ing so this update may have to be split into a couple as I have lots of pics to share.

Starting with the oldest piece of terrain that I haven't done anything with in a while, the church.  I had said before that I was going to cut a hole in the rear corner where the one pillar was deformed, I finally got around to that as well as cutting a base for it to sit on.

20160705_154149_zpsmwllgfyl.jpg

I will get back to this soon to add more debris and clutter but for now I have it sitting under twenty pounds of books letting the liquid nails cure.

Next up we have the fountain, I assembled all the pieces I planned on using the other night and set them aside to dry.

20160704_171809_zps4grfrbee.jpg

Today I glued them together.

20160705_125212_zpsmkhs61sb.jpg

20160705_125320_zpsufrj7win.jpg

Jump ahead because I forgot to take pics, they would have been boring anyway, just adding layer after layer.

20160705_125749_zpsypypztum.jpg

Then added the faces.

20160705_130248_zpsz0ffn1vn.jpg

That is where the fountain stands at this point as the mini for the top is on it's way to my dwelling.

Next up we have two "new" terrain features, I say new but they have been lingering in the house for a little while waiting for me to get round to them, what better time than now?

First up, the columns.  These are just wedding cake decorations.  Some I left whole, others I cut up and made bases for them, so they look toppled.

20160704_171712_zpsaapkzihk.jpg

The ends are open so I sealed the tops with plasticard.

20160704_173712_zpszgdoudzq.jpg

These are super light and will tip over very easily on the table.  To help with that problem I glued the largest rock I could find into the bottoms of the columns or onto a 40mm base and then glued the columns to the bases.

20160704_190221_zpssgxmmum6.jpg

20160704_190243_zps2mkzyfr8.jpg

20160704_191032_zpscmghbw1b.jpg

20160704_190307_zpsdliqitch.jpg

For the cut up columns I needed to make them "solid" so to speak, so I stuffed the ends with green stuff then textured them with a nice rock that I have had for almost twenty years that I constantly use for this type of thing(if anyone were to do a detailled study of the green stuff rocks I make they would find the pattern is pretty much always the same).

20160705_120609_zpsjvglfexa.jpg

20160705_120534_zpstypbk8gw.jpg

These are sitting aside to dry for the night now.

Next up is the Graveyard that I have been wanting to do for a very long time but never really knew how I wanted to do it.  I am not exactly sure what I was doing but inspiration struck me a few days ago and all of a sudden I knew how I was going to make my graveyard!

I washed all of my resin headstones, they came with digging instruments, coffins, gargoyles and crows too!

20160703_114032_zpsxsbxlhg6.jpg

20160703_114040_zpsfnr0dv0b.jpg

20160703_114130_zpsljdwc1xl.jpg

20160703_114054_zpsfeawxkai.jpg

Way more in the next post.

• Like 10

Second half of the update,

The idea for the graveyard is to make a bunch of small-ish area terrain pieces that each have a handful of headstones, maybe some rocks and bushes too.  This morning I sat down and started dividing up the headstones into groups of four to six to see how many bases I would need to cut, fifteen was the final count.  Gathered up my mdf, my saw, safety goggles and went outside and pissed off the neighbors real early!   :devil:

20160705_132829_zpsbuqojjlm.jpg

Now I am not scared of power tools, I work with them for a living, but mdf is a hard substance to cut, it dulls the blade pretty quick on my little jig saw and for some reason makes me nervous.  I ended up cutting most of the bases into just rough rectangles and then rounding the corners off with the scroll saw very slowly.  Three saw blades later I had all the corners rounded and started cutting foamboard to give them some height.

Apparently I didn't take any pictures of those stages although I thought I had...anyway, here are all fifteen of the bases cut and the headstones on them as a mock up, numbered for my purposes not to show you how many there really are.....

20160705_181147_zps4hvytqul.jpg

20160705_181151_zpsh6lnb79f.jpg

20160705_181155_zpscpmqufge.jpg

20160705_181200_zpsgsmq6ica.jpg

20160705_181204_zpssralzajr.jpg

20160705_181207_zpsshvn90er.jpg

20160705_181212_zpsgjwltw3b.jpg

20160705_181220_zpsiwdrxuhy.jpg

20160705_181227_zps7vcvaubq.jpg

20160705_181231_zpsbti9rmu2.jpg

20160705_181235_zpsf7luvydw.jpg

20160705_181239_zpsigeh4d3e.jpg

20160705_181242_zps8qpn8d3g.jpg

20160705_181246_zpspfw8jxbw.jpg

20160705_181250_zpsgesdzyfx.jpg

These may or may not be the final positions for the headstones, I was just placing them on the bases to get a feel for how they may look.

A few days ago I had most of the Frostgrave terrain out and was looking at it all wondering what kind of terrain I may be missing?  Natural terrain was the answer, well besides the scatter terrain that my buddy B-Rad is suppose to be 3d printing for me.

So I made up some plans to make some rock formations, ice formations and possibly a hill or two and ordered some trees.

The trees arrived sometime today after noon but I didn't notice them until I was leaving the house around 5pm.  As these arrived later in the day I didn't have a ton of time to work with them.  I pulled them out of the boxes and set them up to see what they looked like and to get a feel for the scale and possible layouts.

The bug guys, 8"-10".

20160705_190743_zpsa6g9r7un.jpg

Medium guys, 4"-6".

20160705_191014_zpsvqdtdv77.jpg

Little guys, 3"-4".

20160705_191246_zpseqhpwbol.jpg

They are fairly nice trees really, my only nit pic is that the trunks are a bit too tall for my tastes and game uses.

20160705_191331_zpsetj0yn4d.jpg

I will probably take the dremmel to them to shorten them by at least half.  I think I want them sitting almost on the ground.  I also think I need more of them.

Well Ladies and Gentleman, that is my update for the last few days, hope you enjoyed it.  Please leave your comments and tips below.  Let me know what you think of everything so far, feedback is a great thing.

Until next time, peace be with you.

• Like 11

2 questions for you:

1. When you did the glue and snow flock is that Tacky (white) glue or just normal PVA (Elmers) glue? Then snow flock dropped on top?
  2. How do you make or where did you purchase those book cases?

Everything looks really good, I'm inspired like a crazy!

• Like 1

@Arc 724  --  I am glad you are inspired by my thread!  Question #2 first, the bookshelves are not mine you will have to ask @hosercanadian about those, I believe they are his.  They are pretty darned fantastic though I will admit.  Question #1, I use plain old white elmers glue and mix the woodland scenics soft flake snow directly into it.  It needs to be a fairly thick paste for the type of application I was using, just putting it on with a sculpting tool.  The mix settles slightly but doesn't run too much as it sets and dries.  I borrowed this method from beasts of war.

@Chris Palmer  --  Glad you like the terrain sir.  The cake toppers are pretty cool AND pretty cheap really.  I like how they look now that I have cut them up and made them look destroyed.

• Like 3