Sign in to follow this  
MrNutt

Sealing/varnishing

Hello! I have a couple of questions about protecting painted miniatures.

I have a bottle of the brush-on sealer which seems to work well, but I am also inclined to get hold of some spray-on sealer to save time and possibly get a tougher coat. I have heard "recipes" of doing a harder gloss coat and then a matte coat to take the shine off? Am I safe doing that over bones miniatures (I know they react badly with some spray primers), furthermore, will that go on okay if the miniature was already sealed with brush-on sealer?

Thanks!

I have tried that. Regrettably, my usual result is that it works wonderfully... and then a few months later, I pick up the Bones in question, and discover that they stick to my fingers.

I currently use brush on sealers, which work fine, but are glossier than I like. I hear that Reaper's team of mad pigmentologists, that they keep chained in their basement and feed on pizza crusts and ramen, are currently working on the problem...

• Like 1

I have tried that. Regrettably, my usual result is that it works wonderfully... and then a few months later, I pick up the Bones in question, and discover that they stick to my fingers.

I currently use brush on sealers, which work fine, but are glossier than I like. I hear that Reaper's team of mad pigmentologists, that they keep chained in their basement and feed on pizza crusts and ramen, are currently working on the problem...

Huh...so I shouldn't spray seal my next Bones mini I'm hoping to finish soon?

Huh...so I shouldn't spray seal my next Bones mini I'm hoping to finish soon?

I'd advise against it.

• Like 1

On my bones (and other figs made of metal and resin). I always seal first with the reaper brush on sealer (which is semi gloss) and then take it outside and spray with Testors Dullcote matte sealer. This gives me 2 layers and knocks down the shine from the semi gloss. I've never had any problems doing it this way and highly recommend it for everyone.

Haven't tried it with Testors, but other spray clear coats have eventually become tacky even over brush on sealers, when done on Bones.

I've had bones 1 figures that I did this way with the brush on followed by Testors for 3 years and no adverse effects.

Thank you everyone. I may hold off on spraying my bones unless I can obtain some Testors. How about spraying gloss and dull coats over a metal miniature I previously sealed with the brush-on? Is there any downside to adding on more and more varnish? Does it being transparent mean I don't need to worry about thickness?

I have sealed with Reapers brush on sealer and the sprayed them with Krylon Matt from a spray can picked up at Walmart.  Like U3br I have have not had any issue with sticky finishes.   I have been playing with one of the bones I minis for a over a year and they are still in great shape and not the least bit tacky.

• Like 1

Thank you everyone. I may hold off on spraying my bones unless I can obtain some Testors. How about spraying gloss and dull coats over a metal miniature I previously sealed with the brush-on? Is there any downside to adding on more and more varnish? Does it being transparent mean I don't need to worry about thickness?

Finishes on metal figures seem to be less problematic than on Bones figures. I think that's why some people were taken by surprise when their metal go-to varnishing practices worked differently on Bones.

Varnish does build up thickness. Even transparent varnish will have optical effects on the underlying paint.

One thing about varnishes is that several thin layers are almost always better than one thick layer. If a figure needs extra protection, two or even three thin layers will overall dry faster and more evenly than a single thick layer.

• Like 2

The only issues I ever had with METAL figures were spraying with clear coat when the humidity was too high. Makes the sealer bead up and gives the figure a weird leprous look necessitating stripping and starting over.

Paints and sealers involving petrochemicals do NOT play nice with Bones, or any vinyl derivative.

Dullcote works fin on metal. I have been using it for 25+ years, and the only issues were when I sprayed the mini in a high humidity environment.

You can get a 'frosting' effect, which requires starting over with a bath in the paint stripper of your choice...

I hear that Reaper's team of mad pigmentologists, that they keep chained in their basement and feed on pizza crusts and ramen...

Dang, sounds like Anne needs a better contract.  :blink:

:rolleyes:

• Like 2

My standard top coating procedure is to use a matt spray coat over a gloss coat of Future Floor Polish.  For metal figures, I'll use a rattle can of Krylon Artists Matt Finish.  For Bones pieces, I use Testors Dullcote.  Whereas the Krylon occasionally produced stickiness, the Dullcote never has - and this is in spraying down well over 150 figures.  In fact, I have used Dullcote to stabilize a sticky finish on at least a half dozen occasions.  As always, YMMV.

The Egg

I have sealed with Reapers brush on sealer and the sprayed them with Krylon Matt from a spray can picked up at Walmart.  Like U3br I have have not had any issue with sticky finishes.   I have been playing with one of the bones I minis for a over a year and they are still in great shape and not the least bit tacky.

Good! I just picked up some Reaper brush on sealer and was about to start using it, glad that it works well on bones.