Sign in to follow this  

Those are some really cool looking figures and I've not seen them done before.  Looking forward to seeing what you do with them.

Thank you!

While I love the popular, broadly useful miniatures that are Reaper's bread-and-butter, I find myself drawn to the more quirky figures.

I took a couple of side views of the yellow one to show how I bent it a bit out of its plane (I need to take some of the red one later).

post-8022-0-45009800-1458608008.jpg post-8022-0-92062800-1458608014.jpg

I mixed a semi-translucent creamy butter-yellow out of Yellow Ochre and Titanium White and brushed it over the upper surfaces of the yellow one (the above pictures are from a later stage).  The first layer of something like this tends to look grey and colorless.

post-8022-0-12134400-1458608113.jpg post-8022-0-19084500-1458608119.jpg

But the next layer really pops.

post-8022-0-57536000-1458608160.jpg post-8022-0-42409100-1458608167.jpg

Without the flash, under natural table light, the yellow pops even more.

post-8022-0-03928300-1458608222.jpg

I brushed some of the color over the red one's base as well.

post-8022-0-38371700-1458608263.jpg

• Like 16

These are looking good.  I don't think I've seen anyone paint them before.  

Those guys have what I call "the Gumby pose". I sometimes cut the staff off the base and bend that arm so it is more horizontal/pointing forward for more depth. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I put a little bit of forest green in their eyes.  This is when I noticed the big one has a mold line right through its left eye.  Ah, well.

post-8022-0-74511500-1458992941.jpg

post-8022-0-13860800-1458992947.jpg post-8022-0-41087900-1458992952.jpg

post-8022-0-84090800-1458992961.jpg post-8022-0-37350200-1458992968.jpg

• Like 16

I took a bit of Mars Orange (a vivid opaque rust orange, not available in my usual Golden Matte Fluid Acrylics but rather an old tube of Winsor and Newton -- I don't know why this color is so difficult to find in acrylics; it is fabulous) and brushed in some highlights on the red one and shadows on the yellow one.

post-8022-0-39248600-1461631675.jpg

post-8022-0-73786900-1461631680.jpg

post-8022-0-21834500-1461631689.jpg

post-8022-0-60277000-1461631694.jpg

Edited by Pingo
  • Like 13

I doubt it is the same stuff, but Scale75 makes a color called Mars Orange. ..

It is in their Blood & Fire set. ..

• Like 1

It is fascinating watching the Bug Guys develop. I wouldn't have the slightest idea what colors to use.  GREAT WORK!

• Like 1

Fantastic work !!!!!!!!!!!!

I adore how you are making your choices based on the figure in your hand.

What is going to Amp a section, draw the eye around to focus on another aspect of the sculpt.

Beautiful subtle shifts in intensity and shading.

This is a piece to be studied SLOWLY...  Much thought, and much skill.

Not Kiddin !

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Glitterwolf
      I always wanted to paint a Cronosaurus so when Antimatter Games offered on through a Kickstarter I took it.
      In hindsight I regret getting the FDM printed version, I should have gone for the resin one since you can clearly see the printlines on this one.
      On the other hand it was a good deal and it helped me to choose what kind of printer I wanted.
      This came preprinted

Part of my Lost World Project.
      WIP Here:
      https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/69308-lost-world-project-glitterwolf-paints-coldblooded-creatures-and-conquistadores/page/164/#comments

Hope you enjoy the beastie.

• By Pingo
      Coincidentally, I had this figure very nearly done two days ago when the sad news of Diana Rigg’s passing was made public.

It always was a tribute to her incandescent portrayal of Emma Peel in the old British TV show “The Avengers”, but now it’s a memorial as well. Requiescas in pacem, Ms. Rigg.

The figure is “Pandora King (Classic)” from Crooked Dice miniatures. Crooked Dice has a minis game based on cult TV and they’ve produced a lot of different figures suitable for that sort of storytelling.

• By Pingo
      Happy birthday, @TheAuldGrump and @Inarah. I hope you enjoy this. Notes follow after the photos.

This is Grenadier’s Hippogriff, #138 from the Fantasy Lords series way back in 1983, now sold in lead-free pewter by Mirliton Miniatures, Italy. It’s well sculpted, with securely fitting wings.

I wanted to paint something different from the common hippogriff colorings, something with a little challenge to it. So I decided to go with several black and white patterned creatures. The front end is based on an osprey, the wings on a hoopoe’s, and the hindquarters on a zebra, all somewhat modified to suit the figure and to blend where the shifts happen.

Whenever you’re going to paint a chimeric model, a creature made up of the parts of other creatures, it’s a good idea to go look at real animals to see how their colors and feathers and skins look, and also how they blend into other things. If nothing else, there are excellent visual resources on the internet.

Technical notes:

• By Glitterwolf
      I got this one printed out in FDM from a kickstarter.
      In hindsight I should have chosen resin, it did help me decide to go for a resin printer myself.
      The printlines are visible and it's rough, I even used putty to smooth things out where I could.

All in all a nice sculpt though.
      WIP here:
      https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/88958-beneath-the-waves-by-glitterwolf/page/5/

• By SamuraiJack
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/unchartedrealms/rogues-gallery-3d-printable-heroes-and-monsters-of-legend

Story
      3D File Design
      Miniatures come in as a single-part with a separate base, or sliced into parts, where it helps in printing or when there are different part options, such as different weapons. For best results, we recommend resin printers as they will capture all of the fine detail of the models, though filament (FDM) printers will produce great results also. Scenery STL files are designed for FDM printing and come sliced and keyed and are set up to fit within a print area of 220 x 220 mm.
      STL rewards from the main pledges are set for delivery via download links after the project ends, within the first 3 weeks. Stretch goals may take longer as we may need to complete the 3D sculpting before they are available, but they should be done within 4-6 weeks.
      Pre-Supported
      We are providing the models with a pre-supported option for those that want them. Pre-supported models are created with Chitubox.
      Sample Prints
      Below are castings made from resin prints from this project. 
      Pledge Levels
      There are three main pledge types. The Adventurer pledge get the Core Rewards, which include miniatures and scenery and stretch goals for individual character miniatures. Other stretch goals can be added for an additional amount as shown on their picture. The Champion pledge gets the Core Rewards and all of the stretch goals as well as the New Add-Ons. Finally, the Treasure Hoard includes all of the Core Rewards, stretch goals and the New Add-Ons as well as Add-Ons from previous projects (Multiple GB of files). There are also special early-bird pledges for the Champion and Treasure Hoard at a reduced price. Each pledge level gets its STL Rewards as well as PDF rulebook files for DeepWars and ShadowSea and the Stygian Depths.
      If you want just to collaborate or have access to the Add-Ons you may consider the Basic level at just $1. These backers get the Rulebook  PDFs, so it is a great way to get playing.
      Any pledge level can be modified with the addition of Add-Ons, shown  at the bottom of the page. Simply increase your pledge amount for the  add-on you want.
        Stretch Goals
      If we are funded past the initial goal, we will unlock Stretch Goals. Some stretch goals may be available for an additional cost for the Adventurer pledge but are all free to Champion and Treasure Hoard backers.

• Who's Online   9 Members, 0 Anonymous, 57 Guests (See full list)