Rum and Bones Second tide

SamuraiJack

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is anyone else "meh" about the orc faction?  When they hinted the name (Blutrausch), I was hoping we might get a German/Prussian/Holy Roman Empire faction.  The name really doesn't fit with the orcs, in my opinion.

I almost get a Warcraft II vibe from them (naval combat with humans vs. orcs), though they really missed that aesthetically if that's what they were going for.

When the update with the orcs hit I was about to cancel my pledge ... but then I took a closer look at the orcs and found I rather liked them ... I don't care much for "Blutrausch"  (though Bloodrage surely fits an Orc faction) and the WoW reference also crossed my mind, but for me there is a lot to like with those orcs (didn't like the Inquisition, don't like a lot of the minis in the core box ... but I like almost all of the stretch goals and the game looks fun ... so I'm still not sure whether to stay or go).

I'm really interested in seeing how the new rules play out.  I saw some comments where backers tried a few of the changes with their Season 1 (First Tide?) stuff, and they said it made a noticeable difference in play.

The orc faction seems a little rushed to me, like it needed a little more conceptual refinement before it went live.  Why not just call the faction "Bloodrage"?  They use a German name for the faction, but then none of the rest of the faction's elements play on that link.  It just seems like the faction concept is all over the place.

So far I'm fairly indifferent toward the orc faction, the Tusketeers, and the Story Book mercs.  Honestly, I think I have enough Mercenaries from Season 1 that the two KS exclusive packs in Second Tide would rarely get used.  I'm trying hard to fight my completionist urges... :lol:

I had hoped to paint a couple of my Season 1 figures during the KS, but I'm having to pack for a move (again) so that didn't happen.

I haven't decided if I want to spring for any of the KS exclusive packs.  I have a lot of Mercenaries from Season 1, so I don't know if they'd actually get much use.  Still, the Cutthroats and League of Extraordinary Pirates are interesting...

I received my core box today, no shipping notice.  I know I still have the conversion pack and (I think) the Inquisitor faction.

Glancing through the rules, it seems that the gameplay itself is largely unchanged with the exception of how coins and skills work.  You don't lose coins or purchased skills when a hero is KO'd, so there should be less time required to build back up to fighting strength.

There's also an interesting rule that when your crew gets to the enemy deployment zone and there's no one there to contest them, they're taken off the board and get a bunch of 3+ hits on enemy heroes and objectives.  That definitely adds importance to protecting all of your lanes, instead of just focusing on a couple and leaving the third as a freebie win for your opponent.

• Like 1

I think the instructions were aimed specifically at First Edition players in the sections where it states (in bold) that Heroes do not lose their coins when they are KO'd.  It's a big change from the original rules, but the emphasis on that factor might be confusing if someone wasn't aware of the previous version.  :lol: