I was reading an article about learning, and it said that you only learn when you are uncomfortable !!!

Well, I have been uncomfortable since I started this mini.  I honestly had NO idea what a half orc was, how to paint it,

How to base it, or what to do with it !  ROFL.

So I just started painting up a color scheme, then I saw the bracelet.. Female ??  Maybe...

So that changed a few things.  Then I just decided go for it, be uncomfortable, and do something different.

Well, Its different.  I mixed all my own colors, and just went for the Gusto.

Oh.. the rock is a chunk of tree bark !  (Like I said, something new for the basing).

So, Here is the Female Half Orc Fighter by Stonehaven.

Your C&C's are greatly appreciated, and desired.

Please let me know what you think..

I added a better photo showing her from a straight on view.

Now you can see her face.

Jay

post-12655-0-54428400-1458698681.jpg

post-12655-0-06565200-1458698682.jpg

post-12655-0-54525200-1458698682.jpg

post-12655-0-03849100-1458698683.jpg

post-12655-0-90195100-1458742751_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jasonator
  • Like 22

I like it! The red hair is a super touch!

I loved doing the Red Hair.  I was looking at blonde, brown, and said.. Nope, this needs to be a red head.. want that fire element in this one.

Playing with the highlights on a red head is always a lot of fun and challenge.  Thanks Chris !

She looks great! I also really like the bark for the base, it gives a lot of texture to the piece as a whole. Fantastic work all around, Jay. ::):

This is the first time I have used a bark base on a mini.  I actually watched three video's to get a grip on how it was done.

I found this piece of bark the day I spotted the Eagle outside.  Five steps in painting the base, but I LOVE it !

So much texture..Will have to work on more, and get different kinds of bark !!!

Thanks Ub3r

Great work Jay the mini is excellent and the base really sets it off ;)

Thank you Limey72, You know that I admire everything you do, so your comment about the base made me smile.

• Like 1

Nice work, especially on the hair.  The bark is a nice touch that I need to remember sometime in the future.  Sometimes we forget that not everyone in this hobby has played RPG's.  Most who have know what a Half-Orc is.  Sometimes that is a bonus, as it make one not locked into a fixed idea of how it should look.

• Like 1

The color scheme on this is great!

Thank you 72moonglum!

I really had fun playing with this.

I went a bit banana's playing with the shading, and with the metals.

I think I used brass, old bronze, copper, and orange mixed in with them to make them different,

and yet related.  I enjoying zoning out when I am painting a mini !

• Like 1

Nice work, especially on the hair.  The bark is a nice touch that I need to remember sometime in the future.  Sometimes we forget that not everyone in this hobby has played RPG's.  Most who have know what a Half-Orc is.  Sometimes that is a bonus, as it make one not locked into a fixed idea of how it should look.

Thanks Silvervane.  Red hair is always a kick.  Just have to remember to put that drop of matte varnish in there, and keep out of the shadows.

I want to start using more bark !  I loved how that came together (lots of effort, but once you get to the highlights.. OH YEAH.. all the darks in the crevasses really work in your favor.  Last week I got an invite to play a D&D Game... (guess it is time to buy a set of dice )..LOL

I'll still just continue being "unfamiliar" with some of these figures.  I like the creative aspect of it.  Thanks for the kind words.

• Like 1

I like the overall palette choice.  The way you did that hair and the red in the clothing was a brilliant idea.  Also the use of blue as an accent colour was inspired. Great work Jay!

Thank You Anne !!!

Oh it is sooooooooooooooo wonderful having you back on the Forums !

I hadn't even thought of the Blue "colour" !  (evil grin)..

Your comment is so greatly appreciated !

My only criticism is that, because of the angle of the photo, we can't see her face. She looks great Jay ^_^

Here you go Redambrosia,

I went back and took another photo to provide you with a full face...shudder ...ROFL.

I don't usually do a straight on photo since I'm using a phone camera, and a clunky tripod.

I like the way her face came out, especially the little beady green eyes.

Jay

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Mckenna35
      Stumbled across this and thought others might find it of interest.  They certainly have some different figures.  

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wildspire/monsters-of-solan-fantasy-monster-miniatures

tory

Welcome!
       Need generic and predictable miniature designs?? We are not for you. 
       Imaginative fantasy absolutely requires imaginative miniatures.  Our primary aim is to provide miniatures that surprise backers and enhance their creativity and spark their imagination. Made for fantasy tabletop role-playing games, like Dungeons and Dragons and Pathfinder, but also for painters and collectors. 
      Special thanks and recognition to 3D modeler, Miguel Zavala, aka MZ4250. Many of the designs in this set were designed and crafted by him.  See his Patreon for many FREE 3D printable STL file for download. From this set, his works include: the Lamia, Wyrmling, Lizardfolk, Tiefling Outlander, Deep Gnome, Sharkenbear, Beer Golem, and Ratmancer. The design and size of some of these have been modified for this campaign. 

• By Mckenna35
      I know there are a few folks that do Bolt Action and similar 28mm wargaming (@buglips), so I thought I'd bounce this out there.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tftb/world-war-ii-soviet-railroad?ref=discovery_recommendations

Story
      Railroads are an important means to transport troops, equipment, ammunition and all other kinds of supply to the front. Especially in a country as vast as the Soviet Union with it's endless steppes, only few reliable roads and no major rivers running in the direction of the German advance during Operation Barbarossa in World War II. 
      With this set of detailed buildings and rolling stock in 1/56 scale for 28mm figures you get the opportunity to recreate the crucial fighting around the Soviet railroad system.
      The kits focus on the major pieces of rolling stock available to the Soviet defenders: box cars, gondola cars and flat cars. And the mighty ALCo RSD-1 Diesel Engine which was made available under the US Lend-Lease Act.
      Also included is a typical rural train station with optional additional platforms for all who want to depict a Soviet - or captured German - supply depot, where heavy equipment like tanks and guns are being unloaded.
      And for all of you looking for an armored train - don't worry! We have you covered.
        Talking about railroad tracks:
      We did not see the need to reinvent the wheel, so all kits are designed to be used with
      4Ground Railroad Tracks (available as add-ons to the Kickstarter) or O Gauge Model Railroad Tracks The kits include optional parts enabling you to choose your favorite system while assembling. Going this route has allowed us to concentrate on designing and producing the rolling stock only, which has the advantage of an earlier fulfillment date for the Kickstarter.
      All models are highly detailed on the outside and inside. The interiors are easily accessible, as roofs are removable. In addition, all doors are moveable, which means you can open or close them during gameplay.

• By Mckenna35
      Short Kickstarter from Bad Squiddo games for female Soviet troopers for WWII gaming.  Thiis expands their existing range and adds troops clad for winter.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/badsquiddogames/women-of-ww2-soviet-russia-28mm-miniatures

Story
      Hello! This is a Kickstarter to increase our existing WW2 Soviets range. Already massively popular since the first wave launch of 2016, we decided it needs reinforcements! The miniatures are sculpted and master cast, so this project is to cover the funds of production moulds and the initial casts.

BORING BUT IMPORTANT TECHNICALS - The miniatures are 28mm scale and cast in extremely high quality white metal. Everything is single piece where possible. They come without bases supplied but with moulded on small puddle  bases (easy to chop off if you wish to). And of course -   they are compatible with the similar male miniatures from other manufacturers. They are supplied unpainted - so you can either paint them yourself or simply bring out the detail with an ink wash.

Shipping is charged in addition to your pledge, AFTER THE CAMPAIGN, scroll to the bottom for more information. Please don't add the shipping cost during the campaign. EU Customers be aware of additional import fees, more on that later too.
    • By Mckenna35
      Finished up the companion to the "Stug" mech I posted earlier this year.  This is the "Tiger" mech from West Wind Productions, although this build-out differs from what they currently offer on their website.  Friend of mine picked it up in their kickstarter and asked me to paint it for him as he doesn't like doing vehicles.  I drilled out the "turret" and the legs and epoxied magnets in so the turret can rotate.  They're 1/4" so you can actually pick the thing up by the turret!  Base coat and camo is Tamiya, details are in an assortment of manufacturers paints.  Weathered with an oil pin wash and Secret Weapon pigments.  Markings are from a 1/48 sheet of dry transfers from Archer.

• By Kangaroorex
      When Stonehaven started doing their kickstarters, they usually released their version of a troll or two with each one.  Since I liked the variety of elves, dwarves, and other smallfolk in the kickstarters i tended to get the completionist so i found myself with a bunch of these, even though resin is not my favorite medium to work with.  I did a few and the rest sat... until i needed giants for my Runelord campaign.  I needed hill giants and i dont like hill giants as depicted by the typical miniatures for them, but the trolls were cute and they fit the size i was looking for and the legend that hill giants have tails was born.  

Anyway, here are the latest 2, it brings my total now to 5 hill giant/trolls and one broccoli Ent.  the party has faced 3 of them previously and it was a mixed success:  they won, but they went looking for a place to heal and rest immediately afterwards!  (come to think of it, Stonehaven makes up a rather large part of the party, the Kobold ninja, the grippli paladin, the half-orc barbarian and the dwarven cleric are also Stonehaven sculpts)

anyway for your viewing pleasure:

• Who's Online   19 Members, 2 Anonymous, 49 Guests (See full list)