SECRET SOPHIE WIP (Warning Pic Heavy in Spoilers)

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

More work!

Trying to smooth some of my basecoats and get some more areas finished. Had a spectacular Oh Fudgebuckets moment where knarthex actually heard me use the Really Bad Cusswords when the yellow postertack failed and the mini fell into my wet paint::o:

Luckily only the base landed in any paint (for which I was most thankful), but much cursing was heard.  :ph34r:

Tonight I was using the main base colors, Peacock Green, Imperial Purple, and Pumpkin Orange with Buckskin for the highlights. Many layers were had, but I think the area I worked in is looking much better.

Here's the area I worked in tonight, prior to doing anything:

20161015-before.jpg

Here's after:

20161015-after.jpg

The whole mini in relation, showing where I worked.

20161015-1.jpg

• Like 10

More painting.

Worked on the left side top today, mostly in the back. Also used Pro Paint Mandarin Orange on the eyes.

Mandarin Orange is a lovely color from the Reaper Pro Paint Silks and Satins line. It's a very pale orange.

20161017-1.jpg

Here are slightly better shots, though the color looks more gold than it really is.

20161017-2.jpg

20161017-3.jpg

Under the main "mouth" of the Haunt is another face that's really hard to reach.

20161017-4.jpg

And on the side of the Haunt's face, there are two faces, near the mouth, plus another tucked far in the back.

20161017-5.jpg

20161017-6.jpg

Several faces in the back, as well. Also, here you can see where most of my work for today was done on the right side of the back.

20161017-7.jpg

Better shot, and a good shot of one face that was giving me fits. Notice near the bottom, where I didn't work, nothing has been smoothed or blended. That's what a bulk of the work is now... taking these "base coats" and blending them so it flows with the mini.

20161017-8.jpg

More of the back, and you can see on the upright skellie on the left how I "gored out" the tendrils of the Haunt that is invading it's skull.

20161017-9.jpg

Another shot. Also a skull up top with similar tendrils. Also scary faces!

20161017-10.jpg

20161017-11.jpg

Comments and critiques welcome! Thanks for looking!

Edited by Kheprera
  • Like 5

This mini is far more complex and detailed than I thought.

I love how you emphasized on those tendrils going into the skeleton's skull.

It's a very good piece.

Any thoughts about basing yet?

Might I advice something a bit dark so the piece will stand out?

Personally I have used a mix of different tea leaves on a earth colour basecoat and a little darker green rairoad sands.

Works nice for Undead.

Some examples where I used this for reference:

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/60499-02668-bat-swarm03355-bat-swarm03479-murder-of-crows/?hl=murder

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/61632-stygian-guardian-chronopia/?hl=%2Bstygian+%2Bguardian

• Like 1

I talk about the base earlier in the thread. Going swamp.

And yes, I thought this would be an easy mini to paint, until I started on it and saw the faces. So much detail and oddness to it.

Edited by Kheprera
  • Like 2