Sign in to follow this  
SpiritOfMadness

77364: Angel of Shadows (new cropped photos)

My first finished piece with some minor OSL, made as a gift for a very dear friend of mine.

The head of this otherwise beautiful bones miniature had some casting flaws, so I swapped her head with a cast copy of a Kingdom Death Sunstalker dancer Pin-up miniature.

post-14632-0-00365800-1458992890_thumb.jpg     post-14632-0-99001000-1458992892_thumb.jpg

post-14632-0-62221300-1458992897_thumb.jpg     post-14632-0-81803900-1458992900_thumb.jpg

post-14632-0-69703300-1458992905_thumb.jpg     post-14632-0-11338200-1458992910_thumb.jpg

post-14632-0-63220300-1458992913_thumb.jpg     post-14632-0-30893200-1458947746_thumb.jpg

Any critique is very much appreciated, since I just want to learn and keep getting better with miniature painting.

Edited by SpiritOfMadness
  • Like 22

It looks beautiful! But unfortunately your photos are so far from the subject that it's hard to see all the details you put into it. In the future you should try to get closer to the mini when you photograph it so we can really appreciate your work.

• Like 3

It looks beautiful! But unfortunately your photos are so far from the subject that it's hard to see all the details you put into it. In the future you should try to get closer to the mini when you photograph it so we can really appreciate your work.

Thank you and yes you are right, I need a better camera. I only have my Xperia Z5 cell phone to take pictures and if I come closer I can't get a good focus. It has a macro setting on it, but that tends to distort the colors a lot.

Time to spend less on miniatures and save up for a better camera :down:

She is lovely. I like your choice of colors and I really like the soft pink light from the lantern.

Thank you Pochi!

• Like 2

Yeah, that and just cropping out the 2/3 gray area would 'zoom' the picture to fit better and larger on our screens.

But from what I see, it looks nice!

• Like 2

Yeah, that and just cropping out the 2/3 gray area would 'zoom' the picture to fit better and larger on our screens.

But from what I see, it looks nice!

I agree. If your phone's camera program has a crop function, just slice the gray sides off, and make the photos vertical.

Edit: Oops! You beat me too it. :)

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 1

I cropped one photo to see how it will look.

attachicon.gifDSC_1131.2.jpg

Already it starts to blur a bit.. I will look into getting sharper images.. Thanks for the feedback!!

Much better! The OSL looks great! I couldn't even tell she was holding a lantern before! :). And the head transplant looks fabulous.

Edited by Chris Palmer
  • Like 1

Much better images cropped!  I like her wings!  Feathers are my bane at the moment, as I'm working on a hippogryph I converted.  The OSL is detectable from these images too.  My only critique there would be that OSL doesn't really happen unless everything else is dark--think of a flashlight in the sun.

• Like 1

Good call on the cropping. She already looked great, but now we can see all the details she looks fantastic! Great job.

• Like 1