Sign in to follow this  
canuckotter

77020 Bathalian D'khul

One of my current projects. The picture's showing me some ugly details, but that's hardly surprising. ::): Lots of work left to go. My thought on the cloak is to mix Viper Green with the base of Vallejo Dark Sea Blue (the way I mixed Dragon Blue with Dark Sea Blue for the robe)... I suspect it'll look a little weird but I want this guy to end up looking a bit weird... As long as he doesn't actually look bad I'll be OK with it. ::):

Any thoughts or suggestions?
post-14300-0-23061300-1459000973_thumb.jpg

Edit: Show-off!

Edited by canuckotter
  • Like 6

Looking good so far. I always wanted to see one of these guys Done with some of the more interesting, non-monochromatic skin colors that octopi have. Maybe something like this octopusblue.jpg

• Like 4

You can make the pattern by doing medium-large black dots, then slightly smaller bright blue dots on them, then black dots in the middle.  Maybe dark rust-brown dots inside those.

• Like 4

Thanks for the tip, Pingo! Might try it out on the next one. I think this guy's going to stay fairly monochromatic though. :;):

Got a bit more done yesterday before going to a party. Today I think I'll start on the staff, and maybe see if I can smooth out some of those blends... ::):

post-14300-0-51138000-1459085752_thumb.jpg

post-14300-0-59055200-1459085783_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By canuckotter
      Fairly quick mini... Needed something fun to give myself a bit of a mental break over the weekend. Probably 3 hours total - yes, I'm slow!

• By stormbreach
      Hello everyone.  I finally got off my lazy butt and stopped staring at my mind flayer Bathalian long enough to paint him.  I had been staring and contemplating for so long that I finally just started slapping paint on him without worrying about how he was going to look in the end.  I think I am more or less happy with the results.  There are some things I don't like but in the end none of that is really important.  What is important is that I have another finished mini.  I put so many layers on the outside of his cloak and it still wasn't enough, the darn green kept overpowering the yellow and drying darker and some of the greens turned out kind of same-y but again, he's done.  And I figured he needed a pet, because no mind flayer Bathalian is complete without his intellect devourer mind eater!  He was super-simple.  A couple inks, a drybrush and a coat of gloss to make the brain look icky.  Not too complicated.  Love to know what everyone thinks, have a great weekend!

• By spitfire23bc
      'Tis the season! I posted this a while ago before is got paint on him. Santac'Laus has featured in the Christmas one-shot games I've run for the last couple of years (and this year is no exception). He's gone from villain to lovable (but weird) friend, who rides a manta-ray-shaped sleigh, pulled by a team of beholders. 

If you're one of my players, please don't read the spoiler!

The hat, sack and present were all made with green stuff. The snow was made with snow powder mixed with water effects. 

• By canuckotter
      Getting into more Bones 4 goodies. (For once being in Canada is to my advantage when it comes to shipping!) Doing some frankly ridiculous hell hounds from the Fan Favourites expansion. Ridiculous because of the colours I've chosen, to be clear - the sculpts are delightful, if a little more explicitly male than I might have preferred... 

This first one is going to have a pink glow in all the cracks. The goal is to look sort of like lava only weird and magical. Not sure how well it's going to look but we'll find out! 

First step was to paint the poor beastie pink... Really only the cracks needed to be pink but there are so many cracks and I was so tired when I was doing this that I just slopped pink everywhere:

Then tonight I started to go back and make the dark plates:

Hopefully more tomorrow!
    • By canuckotter
      Starting in on Bones 4 already! (It's impolite to ask how I'm doing on Bones 3.) And I had to start with Izzy, because Izzy.  

Just roughing in some colours, and sadly had only a couple minutes to paint tonight and part of that went to cleaning up some of the disaster from the last time the kids painted.

Suggestions on colours for the rest of her would be greatly appreciated!
  • Who's Online   36 Members, 2 Anonymous, 34 Guests (See full list)